RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All - I hate to bring up an old, and some what constant thread that most of you have probably seen and responded to - but I have no choice. I have a 1997 Range Rover 4.0. As usual, one day the windows quit working. I am not a mechanic but I got on-line and read everything (I think) I could find in forums across the internet. Downloaded the Rave manual and went to work. I have literally taken just about everything that can be taken apart in the Rover, cleaned it (and contacts) and put it back together. While this might seem like nothing to most of you, this was a feat for me because I am disabled in that I have a cracked vertebra that loves to move around and arm and leg joints that are shot. Anyway, after putting the Ole Girl back together I was proud of myself in that the Rover actually started and some of the problems I had went away - but the windows. They still are not working. I guess it has to do with the window switch. I took it apart, cleaned it and put it back in. The box that handles the rear view mirror looked the worst, meaning that it was gunked up, etc. I did not take the little actuator apart but I did clean it as best I could; and I did not notice anything else out of the ordinary. Now, to answer the question everyone has been asking themselves by now: Did he check the board and see if it was getting any power? Answer: no! That is because I have no idea on how to do this. I have a digital meter that was given to me, but I am just learning this as I go along. Is there any one who can explain to me how I can use the meter to check the window switch pack to see if it is, in fact, good or not? I surely would appreciate it. Also, in the main engine fuse box the base for relay RL 7 was burned at one time, or another. A person who said he knew how to check it with a meter did so, and said that the base (where the relay is inserted was alright, as well as the relay/switch itself.) He didn't show me what he did, so here I am asking you how does one do this? I am learning how to work on this vehicle myself with the help of people like you. I am not electrically savvy nor really mechanically inclined so if you do have the patience to answer me remember this - and please make the directions idiot proof so I don't have to ask "Huh?" I really appreciate you taking the time to read this as well as to those who respond. Take care - Old Gator

G

·
0 Posts
Sorry Gator, can't help you, but I wanted to say welcome to the forum, good luck and well done for digging in and having a go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for welcoming me to the forums, I appreciate it. I just know there is someone out there that has the answer; they just must be tired of typing the answer. I have scoured the internet for this problem, and there are articles out there that are guess works on what the problem could be. If someone would just explain how to use the meter for testing each component in "Beginners 101 language" (like take this wire from the meter and attach it to pin x then your meter should read y) I believe I can find the answer. Thanks again, and take care! Old Gator

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
If all the windows are not working then its the switch pack in the center, Im sure you can get a good 2nd hand unit somewhere as they are not repairable.

This is assuming you have checked fuses etc....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
viperover - Thanks for responding. I have checked and rechecked all of the fuses and they are all working. The only question in that area was the RL 7 relay I described. Is there a way that I can test the switch pack to verify (for my own peace of mind-whatever that is)-that the switch pack is dead. Like I said, I want to learn how to do this. I am kind of late in age to start asking and learning these techniques that most teenagers have known for years how to do. However, it's better to learn now than never. Thank you again for your advice - I appreciate it. Old Gator

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
the easiest way to test an electrical device, is to replace it with a known good one (not necessarily a new one, as they can be bad out of the box). if the problem goes away, then the old part was bad... this is sometimes easier said than done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to let anyone who reads this in the future that the problem was with the window switch. For those who are just learning like I am, the window switch is the black box that has all of your main window control switches. It is attached to the front of the cubby and just above the transmission shift. I got one off of a good site on ebay - at a darn good price (used) and put her in. All of the windows now work. Good luck to all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts