RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks, Bob! I agree that black looks much better on there.

While I love the angular styling of the front end, I have to put the brush guard on there. This build is fulfilling the dream car of my high school years. The car I lusted after, but never owned had brush guards.

When I purchased the truck, only the front speakers worked and the rear subwoofer was gone. Did some digging at a local junk yard and found the factory subwoofer, an extra amp and two mint rear speakers for $45. After hooking everything up, all is well again. Have a CD changer on order, and then I'll be back in business. If I get tired of CDs, I may opt for the AUX-in mod, or try to source a nice OEM-looking headunit. My top choices are the Blaupunkt RDM127 and the Becker Traffic Pro, which came in the Disco II and Freelander. I believe the ISO connections are a bit different, but both offer a proper 4-channel preamp output and AUX-in.

FUZaxMZ.jpg

Some new parts arrived today, so they went on this evening. While I like the look of the euro markers, there's something to be said for the NA-spec amber markers. The jury is still out on them.

The most fun I've had all week, has to go to removing the old mudflaps. The permanent hardware Land Rover used to install the factory flaps required an angle grinder and cutting disc to remove. The rears were easy enough to cut out as there was plenty of room to work. I did shield the fuel tank and filler lines in case any sparks found their way into places they shouldn't go. The fronts were the worst of it as there wasn't much room to work and the brackets themselves shielded the permanent nuts.

Took her out Tuesday for a drive up the canyons:

Also spotted this gem at the wrecking yard.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
I'm quite a bit jealous of this local wrecking yard of yours. Mine aren't nearly as good of a source for parts. I love that white paint and clear greenhouse. The truck looks great.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm definitely lucky to have such a nice wrecker close by. Just noticed the instrument cluster surround has a crack in it, so I'm off to the yard to grab a replacement.

Picked up a working CD changer off ebay, but I can't seem to get it to power on. I'm hoping the 13-pin DIN plug is just disconnected from the back of the radio if it isn't, dropping the headliner and tracing the wires will be the next course of action. I'm tempted just to try the AUX-in mod listed on the main page.

Took her for a spin up in the Santa Monica hills on Monday. I definitely need to raise her 2-3" as the rear sags a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
I'm definitely lucky to have such a nice wrecker close by. Just noticed the instrument cluster surround has a crack in it, so I'm off to the yard to grab a replacement...
Those bezels are hard to find these days, at least completely intact. I've heard a lot of folks just try to rebuild their cracked ones. So be careful removing yours. You may end up needing it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It's been a while since my last update.

Recently I'd been having some mild temp fluctuations and was loosing coolant. Took it to my new favorite shop, Union Jack 4x4 in Garden Grove. http://www.yelp.com/biz/union-jack-4x4-rover-dude-garden-grove

As luck would have it, as I was pulling in, the temp spiked and the truck spit out a puddle of oil and coolant. Turns out it was the valley pan gasket.

John got the valley pan replaced, put in new motor mounts, bushings, installed my brush bar and installed a 2" OME lift. Couldn't be happier. With the new suspension and bushings, it rides better than ever. No more death wobble on sweeping highway corners.

Next items on the checklist are:

• hit up a PDR guy to remove a couple of minor dimples
  • build my own Overfinch-style double door seals
  • find an un-rusted tailgate latch (mine needs the key to function)
  • re-upholster the front seat bottoms
  • create a small rubber trim strip for the area below the tailgate
  • pick a color to power coat the cyclone wheels
  • re-do the wood veneer, possibly just hydrodip it
  • experiment with SEM color coat to change interior trim and carpet to black
  • replace tired door speakers and almost blown subwoofer
  • find a Blaupunkt RDM127 or RCM127 headunit

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
You've done a nice job on it even if it isn't to my taste. It looked near perfect in the pictures taken in February but now you've fitted the brush bar and lifted it, in my opinion you've spoilt the look (and made it roll like a ship on corners!). I know they were on it when you first got it but even the tyres look too big, the curvature of the outer edge of the tyre doesn't follow the curve of the wheelarches.

·
Registered
718 Posts
while ive just removed my lift, i like the look of the brush guard. looks naked without one imho.

You've done a nice job on it even if it isn't to my taste. It looked near perfect in the pictures taken in February but now you've fitted the brush bar and lifted it, in my opinion you've spoilt the look (and made it roll like a ship on corners!). I know they were on it when you first got it but even the tyres look too big, the curvature of the outer edge of the tyre doesn't follow the curve of the wheelarches.
i think we can also agree its far and away in better care than before! :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks, guys. The first pictures were taken right after the OME kit was put on, so the springs hadn't fully settled. The tires are the stock 205/80/16 Michelin XMS 244s.

I'm trying to get this truck as similar as possible to a Range Rover I'd see as a teenager. As far as the body roll, the factory swaybars are still installed, so it's not too bad. I've got a sportier car when the mood strikes. This truck is all about lumbering about town and getting into the hills off the beaten path.

Added some old IPF yellow driving lights:
17802581115_45463e537c_h.jpg

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
The tires are the stock 205/80/16 Michelin XMS 244s.
Strange, must be the black wheels that make them look bigger. An alternative that puts a bit more rubber on the road and was fitted to the LWB in the UK (as the LWB was only available in Vogue spec over here), is 235/70x16. Wider but the reduced aspect ratio keeps the same rolling circumference and a lot easier to find these days as the same size was used on the Discovery.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
...This truck is all about lumbering about town and getting into the hills off the beaten path...
That's about the same as mine, though I've decided to keep the 20 year old patina for this phase of my RRC's life. For 'off the beaten path' have you thought about recovery points for the front?

With the stock brush guard and SRS bumper, this can be problematic. I have a steering guard, which makes it even harder, but I've been able to loop a tree-saver through the steering guard as a recovery point. I have a hitch-mount shackle for the rear.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
That's about the same as mine, though I've decided to keep the 20 year old patina for this phase of my RRC's life. For 'off the beaten path' have you thought about recovery points for the front?

With the stock brush guard and SRS bumper, this can be problematic. I have a steering guard, which makes it even harder, but I've been able to loop a tree-saver through the steering guard as a recovery point. I have a hitch-mount shackle for the rear.
Mine has the SRS bumper removed and a 94 bumper/brush guard installed. Still need to think about recovery points. For the rear, I'm going to go with a hitch shackle. the front is another story.

Installed two Cyclones yesterday to see if I like them. After looking at them for two days now, I'm going to Plasti Dip them gunmetal to see if I like it. If so, I'll have them powder coated.

Had one of my tires go the other day as it was from 1999! Ended up ordering a set of four Falken LA/AT LandAir tires in the hard-to-find 205/80/16 size. I'll post my findings when they're mounted this week.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
It was the black wheels that made the tyres look bigger. Don't you think it looks far better with wheels the proper colour? I do. Why didn't you go for the 235/70x16 tyres as fitted to UK versions as they are far easier to find and put a bit more rubber on the road without looking larger?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It's been a while since I posted an update on the truck. Whilst visiting Palm Springs with the lady, the transmission began slipping a bit. Flash forward to now, the transmission is toast. No forward or reverse. I plan on getting the unit completely rebuilt, but I'm still trying to find a good shop in Los Angeles who specializes in ZF transmissions, and finding someone knows the 4PH22 well enough to properly diagnose the issue.

Does anyone in SoCal have any recommendations?

Since my daily driver is a diesel BMW, I've also been toying around with the idea of swapping in an M57 3L diesel from the X5 into it.

Here's a few pictures of it sitting and running. Only modifications I've done recently were adding a battery kill switch. I've been starting it each week to keep the fluids happy while I wait to get the transmission fixed/replaced.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Finally had my transmission rebuilt by a reputable shop here in LA.

On the way home from the shop, some old suspension bushes fell out, so I took the time to replace all of them.

Next step is swapping out the beige carpet with black carpets from a 25th anniversary LWB. Managed to score a new in box complete carpet kit! Also plan on replacing all the factory speakers with aftermarket equivalents and having GB4x4 upgrade the factory woofer.

Snapped some pictures of how she currently sits. Managed to snag a good vanity plate as well. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
Very nice! Since you’re changing the carpet, you should change the underpaymen/sponges as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Very nice! Since you’re changing the carpet, you should change the underpaymen/sponges as well.
That's a good idea! I was looking at adding DynaMat, then DynaPad on the floor. The factory foam (sponge) is definitely coming out. Can't believe they designed 'em that way. The only corrosion I've found on the truck is a small spot right under the driver's side heelpad.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi Mike,

We're all three years older and I'm glad to see that your RRC is going strong! Hope all continues and I'm sure you've gained lots of experience with RRC repairs! :grin:

All the best,

Bob

·
Registered
138 Posts
Nice RRC Mike and great photos, looks like some a scene from a nuclear dystopia movie, in this case only your RRC survives!

So that's sitting with a 2" lift kit?....mine has started to sag (1990 Vogue) and I would like a similar stance.

Tyres look wider than 205's?

The amber fog lights are nice, Hella Comets?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hi Mike,

We're all three years older and I'm glad to see that your RRC is going strong! Hope all continues and I'm sure you've gained lots of experience with RRC repairs! :grin:

All the best,

Bob
Thanks, Bob! I've definitely learned quite a bit over the years. Having a copy of RAVE has certainly helped haha!

Nice RRC Mike and great photos, looks like some a scene from a nuclear dystopia movie, in this case only your RRC survives!

So that's sitting with a 2" lift kit?....mine has started to sag (1990 Vogue) and I would like a similar stance.

Tyres look wider than 205's?

The amber fog lights are nice, Hella Comets?

Thanks!

Yes, it's currently on OME 2" springs and TerraFirma Shocks. I replaced the shocks as they were on their last legs. No complaints so far with the Terra Firmas.

The tires are the OEM sized Michelin Syncrone 205/80/16s and one Pirelli Scorpion ATR in the same 205/80/16 size. It could be all the light brown dust on the tires which is making them appear wider.

The fog lights are old BritPart replacements. I just photoshopped them yellow to see if I'd like the look (which I do now.) So I'll be grabbing a set of Hella 550s to install soon.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
12 Participants
MikeGilbert
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing