RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My name is Ryan and I just bought a 1999 Range Rover Callaway (#102). When I picked it up yesterday it was in pretty rough shape, I swapped the battery just so it would start, got it smogged, registered and insured. I slapped some used tires on it (Just temporary until I can get a set of wheels and tires I really want for it) as the ones there were on it were drive rotted like nothing I had seen before. I dropped it off at a local detail place and they had it for 6 hours doing just and exterior clean (Clay Bar and Polish). The photos I took are after the full day of activities.

Some interesting facts about this Callaway:
  • I paid $3500 for it.
  • It has 120,000 miles on it.
  • It would not start with out being jumped.
  • It had been sitting for 10-16 months (Never washed in that time)
  • The original owner paid $89,000 for the vehicle
  • I bought it from the original owner.
  • It has an aftermarket Remus exhaust on it.
  • It is number 102 of 220.
On to some of my questions.
  • None of the electronics on the drivers door work. (Speakers, mirror, door lock, window) I am guessing it is a corroded connection somewhere. Any places I should look first?
  • The AC cycles off when the weather outside is about 85 degrees. I am guessing it is a charge issue. Any other common problems.
  • The driver side handle is pretty sticky, is WD40 and working it the best option to loosening it up?
This is my second P38 (I owned a 2002 about 4 years ago) and I Already have the race and some experience working on them but it has been a while since I have touch one. I hope to start a blog shortly documenting the process of bringing this Callaway back to life (While not spending am and a leg and still doing it correctly). I look forward to being a part of your community.

The photos make it look nicer then it really is, but I think it has some real potential to be a clean daily driver.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
161 Posts
Hi

Nice car, you probably paid a tad much for it when you see the Cameron Concepts supercharged here on another nearby thread. BUt given how good it looks in that colour it's great buy.

The door is either the outstation in the drivers door (all doors have a circuit board and are all controlled individually by the BeCM), or the loom in the door.

I favour rain damage and a blocked drain, strip off the door panel and look to see if the loom holder on the lock side near the bottom has come off and the loom is getting pinned by the window when down. This flattens and eventually penetrates various lock and speaker wires etc and is then exacerbated by water filling up in the door. Spray silicone into the window joints too as they stick when parked up.

Good luck

Mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
Welcome! Nice truck. I had Callaway #201 and it was the best P38 I owned (and I'm on #3). A few things:

1. Study the info on the home page. Concerning your AC issue, this is the info provided:

3-Way Pressure Switch Failure: Although the climate control system on the 4.0 is a very considerable improvement over the Classic air conditioning setup, it is not immune from failure. Mine exhibited a mysterious problem that only exhibited itself during very hot weather, making it difficult for the dealer to diagnose. When the air conditioning failed during a summer off-pavement expedition in the Nevada desert, I found a shady spot and used a multimeter and the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual (ETM) to trace the fault. It was clear that the compressor clutch was not engaging, so it was relatively straightforward to narrow down the cause of the absence of voltage here. the ECU tells the compressor to switch on or off based on various sensor inputs, so the logical first step was to see if the system's "brain" was working as designed.

One good feature of the ETM is its location information and photographs for every component and connector, making it easy to find the parts of interest. Removing the plastic cover from the kick panel on the passenger side gave access to the appropriate connector, and voltage measurements showed that the A/C ECU was indeed telling the compressor clutch to switch on. However the signal then had to get through a 3-way pressure switch, designed to turn off the compressor in the case of too much or too little pressure in the system. Clearly, the signal was not making it past this switch. Jiggling the switch connector had no effect, so there was nothing for it but to suffer through the heat for the rest of the trip! Back at the dealer (and moderate San Francisco Bay Area temperatures), nothing could be found wrong with the A/C system, but I requested replacement of the 3-way pressure switch anyway. Sure enough, this cured the problem for subsequent high temperature desert expeditions.

2. Scotty is a tremendous resource for parts. He's helped me of out of a bind on a few occasions. And I'm not alone.

Congrats on your new truck!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Yep, Scotty knows all about the Callaways........Thus why it ended up as a bare shell :doh:
Good luck, and NEVER let it get even kind of hot.

Martin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

I got the door fixed, It ended up just being up plugged. I love an easy fix!

I am working on the AC still. I replaced the three way switch and the problem disappeared.

As soon as I have some extra funds, I am going to replace the entire cooling system.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
21 Posts
Welcome Ryan,

Nice find!! I have a 96 4.0 SE that has been major PITA, but I am getting a handle on it. It has had a number of small issues that really caused problems. When it drives it is awesome and I love it and once I get the latest problem fixed I am hoping that will be it for a while.

I would have to agree with Zachsdad, Scotty is an immense help. I have talked or texted with him on a number of occasions and have done business with him. I have found him to be a stand up guy that has not lead me wrong yet. Storey at RSW Solutions is another good guy that really seems to no his stuff. His software / hardware is more than reasonable for the price and I highly recommend it. I would not hesitate to contact either of them if you need help.

Sorry I can not offer any words of wisdom on the problems you are having. I have not had those issues yet. Mine have revolved around the BECM doing some weird stuff that even Scotty hadn't seen, but fixed it anyway. Also EAS, cooling system, and engine bucking/stalling. These issues I might be able to help you sort out if you have them.

Good luck with your new Rover.

John.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts