RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All,

I am a new member on this great forum and hope to learn and exchange some great information here. I could not find a gallery section on here, so hope this is the place for introductions. I have owned a 2003 RR since early 2006 and must say I have enjoyed this rig thus far, until the 2010 came out :wink:

I have a few puzzling questions on a coolant leak that was fixed recently and the aftermath on a a host of minor issues that followed...an apparent heater hose inside engine compartment area(clamped) was found to be the main suspect to very small leaks, yet apparent. Soon after this was fixed, the entire interior center console heated up(very hot) near the beverage cup holder, storage case and shift nob. The climate control also failed to act when turning the knobs to the cooler position, or at least it took a great while for cool air to come out. Just yesterday on the left side of the instrument cluster where it shows the mileage and trip information; the green highlighted areas were dull and seemed like the bulb burnt...not sure if this recent heater hose might have caused all this or if the mechanics failed to put something back together. Okay, so it's late and I am rambling, so I will come back and rephrase this if it's not making sense.

Cheers,

Attachments

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Is your range currently leaking coolant? Check to make sure it's topped off...

On the back side of the motor, BMW coolant lines clamp onto an adapter to allow connectivity to the range rover parts... That adapter is notorious for exploding! Do you know what coolant hose was replaced?

When it goes, it blasts coolant out directly at the fire wall depending on where the hose itself fails... Obviously boiling coolant being sprayed at the fire wall can cause some issue... I'm just speculating but maybe that's what happened to you.

When mine went it was obvious, because it was bellowing white smoke, but I noticed the same type of heat pattern you're describing in the cabin...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
brad s1 said:

On the back side of the motor, BMW coolant lines clamp onto an adapter to allow connectivity to the range rover parts... That adapter is notorious for exploding! Do you know what coolant hose was replaced?

When it goes, it blasts coolant out directly at the fire wall depending on where the hose itself fails... Obviously boiling coolant being sprayed at the fire wall can cause some issue... I'm just speculating but maybe that's what happened to you.

When mine went it was obvious, because it was bellowing white smoke, but I noticed the same type of heat pattern you're describing in the cabin...
Awesome, I appreciate your assistance and brief explaining of the coolant lines. I was out in L.A on a quick roadtrip this past weekend and took it to what I thought was a reputable repair shop. The tech related it was a small 4-5" heater hose that uses clamps on both sides, where one side is a bit narrower than the other. I actually have the subject and will take a photo when I get a chance. Tech related it was the hose where coolant/water passes thru and allows the heater core to operate(not sure at this point) I was thankful it was nothing worst. The Range is no longer leaking coolant, but was needing at least 1 gallon of coolant/water mixture per day. The instrument cluster also kept reminding me for a few days coolant was low, but I rarely got to see any leaks while I was stopped, until my arrival to Burbank last weekend.

I did not notice any coolant out directly at the fire wall on my way back, but definitely noticed the entire middle area was hot-I called the tech and they related; perhaps the firewall or something did not sit correctly. Uhm, I should probably have this adapter examined :think:

I should have joined this forum years ago! It's interesting the things one does once the warranty expires... :doh:

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
privileged6 said:
brad s1 said:

Awesome, I appreciate your assistance and brief explaining of the coolant lines. I was out in L.A on a quick roadtrip this past weekend and took it to what I thought was a reputable repair shop. The tech related it was a small 4-5" heater hose that uses clamps on both sides, where one side is a bit narrower than the other. I actually have the subject and will take a photo when I get a chance. Tech related it was the hose where coolant/water passes thru and allows the heater core to operate(not sure at this point) I was thankful it was nothing worst. The Range is no longer leaking coolant, but was needing at least 1 gallon of coolant/water mixture per day. The instrument cluster also kept reminding me for a few days coolant was low, but I rarely got to see any leaks while I was stopped, until my arrival to Burbank last weekend.

I did not notice any coolant out directly at the fire wall on my way back, but definitely noticed the entire middle area was hot-I called the tech and they related; perhaps the firewall or something did not sit correctly. Uhm, I should probably have this adapter examined :think:

I should have joined this forum years ago! It's interesting the things one does once the warranty expires... :doh:
I'm confident the part you described is the part I'm referring to. The bottom of the hoses is wider where it fits to the heater core, then it narrows up for the BMW hose connection small hose, 4-5" as you mentioned. If you were losing that much coolant per day, and continued to drive like that, I'd imagine coolant was just spraying out of that hose as soon as the car was up to temperature. The hot coolant from there can only hit the fire wall and drip down, which is where the trans is, so that would explain the heat at the shifter area. Depends on where the hose failed, it could have been spraying in any direction. I bet the constant heat from the coolant has fouled some stuff up for you :cry:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: New Member to the forum...

I will open up the engine compartment cover and look for any relative damage in the back of the engine fire wall area this weekend, but Techs did not notice anything unusual...I believe the hot coolant that leaked while in transit might have damaged other components near by because heat is still building up. Unfortunately, I won't be planning another trip to L.A for another two months, so the shop can take another look at this (Town Muffler & Brakes in Glendale, Ca., Fred owner, for warranty purposes), I live up in Northern California.

The actual hose is small, but looks extremely heavy duty because of it's thickness. The metal clamp was to blame for the small hole in this instance. If anyone is ever doing work in this general area, it would be adviseable to repalce with a new hose, keeping in mind you will require new coolant.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: RR now is stalling and loosing power!

Well, the heat build up in the middle interior console areas is stil apparent, heating up gradually. Today, I noticed a loss in power as I was accelarating an entering the freeway...didn't think much of it at first. Later this afternoon, I was driving at 30-35MPH and the RR started to loose power where it finally stalled and lost power. Luckily I was in a residential area...I attempted to started and it would only turn to the point where the starter just kept on going. I waited for 15 minutes and tried starting it again and all was fine. I turned back around and came back home...

What in the world is happening? Could it be...

Starter
Transmission
Sometype of valve, module, fuse

I recently had a heater hose replaced, then these surprises start happening. Any help and input would be appreciated.

best,

·
Registered
2,387 Posts

privileged6 said:
Well, the heat build up in the middle interior console areas is stil apparent, heating up gradually. Today, I noticed a loss in power as I was accelarating an entering the freeway...didn't think much of it at first. Later this afternoon, I was driving at 30-35MPH and the RR started to loose power where it finally stalled and lost power. Luckily I was in a residential area...I attempted to started and it would only turn to the point where the starter just kept on going. I waited for 15 minutes and tried starting it again and all was fine. I turned back around and came back home...

Starter
Transmission

I recently had a heater hose replaced, then these surprises start happening. Any help and input would be appreciated.

best,
Are you sure your coolant is flowing? I'm honestly not sure how the range rover reacts to overheating, but I could see it shutting down some of its systems to protect itself. If the trans cooler isn't working that will without question screw things up... Plus the truck is overheating you'll notice a huge loss in power... Def make sure coolant is flowing before you drive it next... if it isn't flowing and you're overheating you could be causing damage to the motor every time you take it out. Maybe your water pump is toast, if you were adding a gallon everytime you took it out, it had to be running dry at one point or another. Perhaps there is an air bubble caught in the cooling system :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

brad s1 said:
privileged6 said:

Starter
Transmission

best,
Are you sure your coolant is flowing? I'm honestly not sure how the range rover reacts to overheating, but I could see it shutting down some of its systems to protect itself. If the trans cooler isn't working that will without question screw things up... Plus the truck is overheating you'll notice a huge loss in power... Def make sure coolant is flowing before you drive it next... if it isn't flowing and you're overheating you could be causing damage to the motor every time you take it out. Maybe your water pump is toast, if you were adding a gallon everytime you took it out, it had to be running dry at one point or another. Perhaps there is an air bubble caught in the cooling system :(
I've stopped driving it and will take it in to the shop this week. The interesting thing is the RR is not overheating and temperature gage inside the cluster does not indicate any more coolant loss. I did notice however,when I took it for it's last drive a few days ago; the coolant reservour, upper coolant hoses etc...were extremely, extremely HOT~~~~in a matter of 15 minutes. I believe the water pump is finally going out and or the trans cooler...I also noticed the RR was not on all 8cyl, as I did notice a dramatic loss in power. It could be some of the systems are shutting down to protect themselves as you mention. I will follow up on the findings...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: RR Update

I took the RR to my mechanic yesterday after having been sitting for a few days at home. I am not sure if it's a water pump issue, because when I turned on the ignition yesterday the rig sputtered a bit and then turned off. I started the engine back up again and no problems. On the way to my mechanic (10-12 blocks away), the RR was sputtering the entire way there...loosing power as if something was clogged in the system. The engine service soon light turned on as soon as I drove inside the shop's driveway (no lie), so I guess this will help in the dianosis. I haven't heard back from the shop thus far.

I am providing all these details, should yours start doing the same...I find it interesting however, that there is hardly any comments or advise on this. Perhaps everyone is used to going to the dealer for service and is not mechanically inclined! :shock:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts