Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

We just joined the Landrover family with our latest addition, our new 2023 Range Rover Sport SE Dynamic. This is replacing our Audi Q8 which has served us well but has starting giving up the ghost with alternator/generator issues with its mild hybrid system. It will be my wife's daily driver other than for family road trips (where I like driving).

The RRS has nearly all of the items we'd wanted, except for the upgraded Meridian and Pixel headlights which are constrained. Tech pack, cold pack, hot pack, etc. Santorini Black on Caraway/Ebony.

I'm note sure how much people want to know, but I can give a quick rundown. The newest iteration of the JLR Pivi Pro system is worlds beyond what I had used in my F-Type. The 13" screen is crisp, (mostly) responsive, and quite large making it very usable. Apple CarPlay integration is as expected--however, the split screen mode wastes real estate on the large screen with the turn-by-turn directions taking up way too much space. That's more the fault of CarPlay, but I thought I'd mention.

The seats we've found to be supremely comfortable. Much superior to those in the Audi Q8, despite the lack of massage function. Cosseting might best describe them.

Since we've just had this for a few hours, I haven't had a chance to thoroughly put the RRS through its paces (especially with the kids). The default comfort mode was pleasant and relaxed, with decent responsiveness once you get beyond the initial sluggishness at the top of the pedal travel. Brakes seemed excellent. Power from the P400 is strong and pulls firmly, but you can't hide the weight of the RRS. Plenty of understeer as expected with a very relaxed steering feel. Yes, I still need to try out the dynamic drive mode.

The Meridian system is... decent. Mostly adequate? Definitely not for audiophiles. We're disappointed that the higher systems weren't available, but it's something we can live with. Treble appeared crisp at regular listening levels. The sub does its role, but not excitingly so. The midrange and mid-bass response is lacking. The soundstage is not as wide or expansive as better systems. Overall, fair for a base system.

The HUD is crisp and non-distracting. Very useful and similar to the system we had in the Audi. I find the digital rearview mirror hard to adjust to, not because it's bad and not useful for seeing behind you, but it's hard to quickly take a glance when you have presbyopia, sadly! It takes me half a second to focus and re-focus back on the road which is a liability. Being in my late 40s sucks that way. Anyway, I appreciate that it's easy to turn off with a quick flick.

Some first pictures below. We had to pick this up late, so only night-time pics thus far.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
80 Posts
Congrats!! I have a Santorini Black FE coming in February (so they say) and I can't wait. I'm in the same boat with the Meridian system... I was involuntarily downgraded from the standard 3D System to the base system last month, with a $450 credit applied to my build. There's nothing I can do about that according to the dealer.

Could you share some more front & rear pictures when you have a chance? I decided not to get the black exterior pack so my exterior will be the same as yours :) I'm very iffy on the copper accents and interested in your assessment of how they "fit" the persona of a Sport. My backup plan is to have them painted dark gray to match the RANGE ROVER letter / grille color, but I'm not committed to that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats!! I have a Santorini Black FE coming in February (so they say) and I can't wait. I'm in the same boat with the Meridian system... I was involuntarily downgraded from the standard 3D System to the base system last month, with a $450 credit applied to my build. There's nothing I can do about that according to the dealer.

Could you share some more front & rear pictures when you have a chance? I decided not to get the black exterior pack so my exterior will be the same as yours :) I'm very iffy on the copper accents and interested in your assessment of how they "fit" the persona of a Sport. My backup plan is to have them painted dark gray to match the RANGE ROVER letter / grille color, but I'm not committed to that.
Thanks! Sure, here are a few more pictures. We really like having the copper with dark gray. The copper is subtle and not bright at all, but does still give a little extra detail that's missing with the black exterior pack on a black car. The hood vents also have the copper accents and it looks really good that way in my opinion.

For us, the dark gray trim with the copper fits perfectly with the Sport, especially since we also have the gray wheels. If you want the fully murdered out look, go full black on black, but we didn't want to go that route. For my wife, that would've been way too much. It's also why we wanted the red calipers... more detail that you'd miss with black calipers.

I only wish the exhaust tips were also darker. The shiny chrome kinda sticks out. Not bad, but darker would be better.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Car

Automotive parking light Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Car Wheel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I noticed something rather annoying, though it’s not really the fault of the car itself: my wife’s iPhone 11 Pro Max charges perfectly on the wireless charging mat and also gets a nice signal boost. My iPhone 14 Pro Max won’t sit flat on the charging mat due to the larger camera bump. No charging and no signal boost. Sucks.

Edit: I got it to work, but I have to take the phone case off (Apple leather MagSafe case). Not ideal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Congrats on your new car! Hopefully it is a better overall experience than with the Audi.

Quick question regarding the car's Ambient Lighting. Is it configurable? Does it have multiple colors?

I am a little confused on the ambient lighting specs on the new RRS.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Congrats on your new car! Hopefully it is a better overall experience than with the Audi.

Quick question regarding the car's Ambient Lighting. Is it configurable? Does it have multiple colors?

I am a little confused on the ambient lighting specs on the new RRS.
Thanks! Yes, fingers crossed.

We have the "SV Bespoke Full Extended Leather Upgrade," but not the "Premium Upgrade Interior Pack." You need the "Premium Upgrade Interior Pack" to get extra ambient lighting colors. In ours, you can adjust the brightness for upper lighting areas, lower areas (door pockets), and for the footwells separately, but you only get one color, which is a soft white/yellow-ish for the doors and white for the footwells.

Car Vehicle Automotive design Steering part Steering wheel

Car Vehicle Car seat cover Window Automotive design

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
no problems with apple car play connection like before with infotainment and also black screens so far?
So far CarPlay’s been relatively ok. Trouble connecting once in a while but that seems normal for CarPlay since we have two phones connected. You need to sometimes switch between phones in the infotainment to get the right one to connect. No black screen so far.

·
Registered
2023 Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic
6 Posts
Thanks! Yes, fingers crossed.

We have the "SV Bespoke Full Extended Leather Upgrade," but not the "Premium Upgrade Interior Pack." You need the "Premium Upgrade Interior Pack" to get extra ambient lighting colors. In ours, you can adjust the brightness for upper lighting areas, lower areas (door pockets), and for the footwells separately, but you only get one color, which is a soft white/yellow-ish for the doors and white for the footwells.

View attachment 305368

View attachment 305369
Did you know the lighting was white only before you placed your order? I ordered my SE DYNAMIC over the summer and it was delivered last week. I confirmed the options on my build sheet against the Land Rover build website. According to the Land Rover build website "Cabin Lighting" is a standard feature and is defined as, "With a choice of 30 colors, Cabin Lighting’s illumination highlights the design features of the Range Rover Sport and creates a truly unique, relaxing environment. It is customer-configurable, and now includes Cabin pre-sets, which allow the customer to select a multi-colored theme within the cabin." I would have upgraded to one of the packages containing "premium lighting" if Land Rover had accurate descriptions of their cars on their own website.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The descriptions are confusing. The "configurable cabin lighting" only seems to refer to the brightness selections of each zone. "Premium cabin lighting" includes changing colors. It seems to be included only with the Premium Upgrade Interior Pack (or Premium Textile Pack).

For us, this wasn't so important since we had color configurable lighting in our previous Q8 and we only used it once to choose white and we kept it that way for 4 years.

Edit: The cabin lighting does turn red when the car is in Dynamic, though the footwells stay white.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
118 Posts
So far CarPlay’s been relatively ok. Trouble connecting once in a while but that seems normal for CarPlay since we have two phones connected. You need to sometimes switch between phones in the infotainment to get the right one to connect. No black screen so far.
glad to hear, coming from a 20 RRS AB I'm super curious how that v6 feels..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
glad to hear, coming from a 20 RRS AB I'm super curious how that v6 feels..
As I mentioned above, the V6 has worked well for us. The throttle tip-in in Comfort is not aggressive which makes for easy, smooth control off the line. It then shoots us significantly around mid-throttle. In Dynamic, it's more linear. The power given the weight is quite decent, but it's not winning any drag races soon. I only really notice the weight going into a curve since there is some initial body roll which then gets managed by the adaptive suspension (moreso in Comfort). This is a fair tradeoff for the ride quality. I assume the V8 would have even more body roll due to the weight unless suspension tuning is different.

Since this is my wife's DD and our family road-trip car, the balance between power, control, and ride quality is perfect with the RRS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,

We just joined the Landrover family with our latest addition, our new 2023 Range Rover Sport SE Dynamic. This is replacing our Audi Q8 which has served us well but has starting giving up the ghost with alternator/generator issues with its mild hybrid system. It will be my wife's daily driver other than for family road trips (where I like driving).

The RRS has nearly all of the items we'd wanted, except for the upgraded Meridian and Pixel headlights which are constrained. Tech pack, cold pack, hot pack, etc. Santorini Black on Caraway/Ebony.

I'm note sure how much people want to know, but I can give a quick rundown. The newest iteration of the JLR Pivi Pro system is worlds beyond what I had used in my F-Type. The 13" screen is crisp, (mostly) responsive, and quite large making it very usable. Apple CarPlay integration is as expected--however, the split screen mode wastes real estate on the large screen with the turn-by-turn directions taking up way too much space. That's more the fault of CarPlay, but I thought I'd mention.

The seats we've found to be supremely comfortable. Much superior to those in the Audi Q8, despite the lack of massage function. Cosseting might best describe them.

Since we've just had this for a few hours, I haven't had a chance to thoroughly put the RRS through its paces (especially with the kids). The default comfort mode was pleasant and relaxed, with decent responsiveness once you get beyond the initial sluggishness at the top of the pedal travel. Brakes seemed excellent. Power from the P400 is strong and pulls firmly, but you can't hide the weight of the RRS. Plenty of understeer as expected with a very relaxed steering feel. Yes, I still need to try out the dynamic drive mode.

The Meridian system is... decent. Mostly adequate? Definitely not for audiophiles. We're disappointed that the higher systems weren't available, but it's something we can live with. Treble appeared crisp at regular listening levels. The sub does its role, but not excitingly so. The midrange and mid-bass response is lacking. The soundstage is not as wide or expansive as better systems. Overall, fair for a base system.

The HUD is crisp and non-distracting. Very useful and similar to the system we had in the Audi. I find the digital rearview mirror hard to adjust to, not because it's bad and not useful for seeing behind you, but it's hard to quickly take a glance when you have presbyopia, sadly! It takes me half a second to focus and re-focus back on the road which is a liability. Being in my late 40s sucks that way. Anyway, I appreciate that it's easy to turn off with a quick flick.

Some first pictures below. We had to pick this up late, so only night-time pics thus far.

View attachment 305144
She's a beauty

View attachment 305142

View attachment 305145

1 - 17 of 17 Posts