RangeRovers.net Forum banner

121 - 125 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
After nipping some exhaust leaks, and finding a missed connection at the alternator, the truck is now sounding good and charging. I drove it to work today in a ton of traffic and the EFI light came on. I wonder if my timing is still a tad advanced. It sounds and starts nicely, but is around 6deg btdc on idle with the vac line plugged. When i back it to 3, the idle is pretty **** slow and chokes a bit when the throttle is applied aggressively. The temp was mostly good through sitting in traffic, so seems the new water pump is circulating coolant nicely. However, the temp did raise a tad which i think tripped the EFI light. I don't think I have air in the system as much as it could use a new radiator and electric fan. I do have oil leaking still, seems to be at the valve cover so will troubleshoot that, but it is not nearly as bad as it was prior.

I tossed on the other covers yesterday as well:

Covers look nice. Where did you get these from? Matching rears as well?
C

·
Registered
235 Posts
factory specs call for 6 degrees btdc timing, with a margin error of + or - 2. that make a max of 8 deg min of 4 all from 6 deg, I have run nearly all my dizzy rovers at 10deg. timing, all of the ones I have tuned have run like time pieces. my personal classics have passed emissions testing with readings as low as .01 ppm which is nearly as good as a hybrid, great fuel economy and splendid performance thru the complete operating range. as a bonus, hardly ever a check engine light. of course emissions results can vary based on engine age, oil, plugs, tune, o2 sensors and cats, but if all is in working order 10 degrees seems to be the happy point.
give it a shot, maybe just maybe the engineers got it wrong this time.
Timing documentation for the Rover V8 is all over the place. Some early model documentation even call for ATDC settings (??). I agree 8-10 BTDC is safe and works well (vac disconnected ~ 700rpm). One thing for the OP to check is that is balancer is reading correct TDC - not seen it myself but appearantly they can slip. Several techniques available, search the internet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Timing documentation for the Rover V8 is all over the place. Some early model documentation even call for ATDC settings (??). I agree 8-10 BTDC is safe and works well (vac disconnected ~ 700rpm). One thing for the OP to check is that is balancer is reading correct TDC - not seen it myself but appearantly they can slip. Several techniques available, search the internet.

I read numerous sites related to timing and the timing seems good right now at about 9deg btdc. I also verified the timing marks by rotating the motor with a dowel in the num 1 cylinder to see where it reached tdc. The truck is running great atm.

It did however, leave me stranded on Thursday afternoon. I replaced the distributor with the unit that came with the 3.9 as I was not getting spark to the plugs but the coil tested good. Now it has been running great all weekend and i made many trips to various stores driving it.

The seat covers are from Wet Okole. I went with the full piped mocha with seat heaters and back pockets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great to see what you've done with yours. I have an 87 as well. You've done much more in a shorter amount of time than I have. Mine left me stranded the other day too. On the highway just cut out. Same thing coil was good but no spark. Swapped out cap and rotor, runs fine now. Weird though, It's pretty much a brand new Pertronix distributor.

121 - 125 of 125 Posts
About this Discussion
124 Replies
18 Participants
zachdes
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing