RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
That does look very clean. I may go that route whenever I dig into the interior.

Sound deadening material arrived, so hoping to spend some time on the ceiling and doors this weekend so I can finally get around to the headliner. I was able to solve my exhaust leak over the weekend:

I also stuck on some new lettering:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I think i finally have the charging system and few other issues sorted. Over the past few days, I cleaned the connections at the battery, chassis ground, and alternator. I also finally got around to figuring out the wiring on the alternator. The truck has a GM alternator, so I found another post that explained how to wire the 4-wire CS clip. I then noticed a cut brown/white wire behind the instrument pack. After fixing that, the battery light now works with the key on, and turns off after starting. The truck is finally charging.

I replaced a leaky oil pressure sensor and the warning light finally doesn't flicker. I then adjusted the tailgate and it now latches and locks. Finally I replaced the rear door handle gasket which was broken and looked ugly. Now if I only could figure out the rear windows. I pulled the motor from the regulator and verified that the window travels up and down without issue. The motor does not spin however. Power does get past the switch. I might take the motor off the gear assembly and see if that is seized.

Progress and no more warning lights!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I drove the truck 3 hours North a few weekends back for a camping trip. It did great. It then went across the state the following weekend to visit family, then on another camping trip last weekend.

The replacement odometer stopped working at 614 miles on the Rimmer Bros replacement, so I purchased another and am shipping back the faulty unit that had arrived damaged. I am happy with their service. I also ordered the upper and lower cables to alleviate the bouncing needle.

I installed the new upper cable and speedo, and now the needle is nice and steady, even at low speeds.

I ordered Forever Black and used that on the Grill, Bumper end caps, mirrors, and other trim pieces. It looks much much better.

I then bent out the bumper and fender a bit, enough to install the replacement right signal housing.

Yesterday, I located the bad relay causing the rear wiper to not work. I replaced it and voila, I have a rear wiper. I replaced the tailgate door switch, so the lights now come on with the tailgate open. Finally, I found that the rheostat was disconnected, so i connected that and verified it is functioning properly. Now I can finally get that headliner refinished and installed as I am done needing access to the roof.

Finally, what i am MOST excited about. I JUST ordered a set of 5 Rostyle wheels for the truck. I do not think I will keep the current Mud terrains, as they are loud and vague on the freeway. Any suggestions for a good all terrain would be appreciated. I prefer the tall skinny look.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Very nice car, Fair bit of work to smart it up, but you are getting there.

For the skinnier tires, the original size (1972) was 7.5x16, which is basically 190/85 R16 in new money. The original tires are quite skinny and you need to like that 'original look' I found some 195R85 16 tires and fitted those. I have an 83 which looks more like to original cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Very nice car, Fair bit of work to smart it up, but you are getting there.

For the skinnier tires, the original size (1972) was 7.5x16, which is basically 190/85 R16 in new money. The original tires are quite skinny and you need to like that 'original look' I found some 195R85 16 tires and fitted those. I have an 83 which looks more like to original cars.
That is beautiful! Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately the seller informed me that they are inquiring to Land Rover about the availability of the Rostyle Wheels which I already paid for on Ebay. I imagine I will be getting a full refund shortly, as I did not believe they were producing the wheel any longer. Frustrating.

I ordered two replacement window motors for the back doors, and it turns out the first I bought on Ebay was faulty as well. The seller stated that it was tested but even after pulling the motor from the gearbox, it would not run. The motors that arrived over the weekend both work and now I have functioning power windows in the rear. I can now work on fixing the interior. I installed sound deadening and then removed the old headliner to prepare for new material.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hopefully this does not offend any purists, but i missed the different materials from my Scout, so went with a different headliner material than stock.

Now on to sound deadening on the doors...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Having 4 doors you already offended the purists.

Admittedly it would not have been my first choice, but I suppose it has certain Scottish flair.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Having 4 doors you already offended the purists.

Admittedly it would not have been my first choice, but I suppose it has certain Scottish flair.
I'll have to buy a Highland dress to wear while I drive. :wink:

After replacing the AC drier, and line from the drier to junction, we found one more (hopefully) tiny leak in the line from the evaporator to condenser. The line finally arrived from across the pond.

I was also tired of people coming into my lane while playing on their phones and not hearing my friendly toot of the horn, so I installed a Stebel Nautilus using the factory mounting location on the passenger side. Boy is it louder, but has a nice higher-pitched tone.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Interesting thread nice work.
How easy was it to get the headlining out without damaging anything? I have the saggy tents and its around £300.00 Uk to sort but I often wondered how easy it is to do yourself?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Interesting thread nice work.
How easy was it to get the headlining out without damaging anything? I have the saggy tents and its around £300.00 Uk to sort but I often wondered how easy it is to do yourself?
I thought it was simple. The only difficulty I had was reinstalling the rear-view mirror. Removal took maybe 30 minutes.

This was the site I read before deciding to tackle it myself:
https://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/headliner.html

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks - I'll give it a go.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Lucky you, you have 'a tent' my '83 headlining had been repaired (but not quite right with some sagging etc). The old lining was reglued and it was a pig to remove. My headliner was in two pieces so easier to remove, but the base material had disintegrated at places so I had to create a lot of glass fiber support to stiffen it up on the top side. Although that went well and it was hard and stiff again, the surface on which to glue to new material was not all that smooth after removing the re-glued old headlining so no I have a nice and strong ceiling bit the surface is pock faced at places.

Ideally I would have found a new headlining, but in Texas that is impossible and shipping from the UK to the USA not really an option.

As it happens you never really look up and nobody but me notices it.

Picture is pre-repair.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
It has been far too long since my last post. My phone was stolen and it took some time grabbing some images off of my backup device. Back in August I continued my sound deadening project:

I also replaced the ac compressor before a trip to Drummond Island. The ac blows nice and cold now, although as cold as it has been in Michigan, it won't be used for quite some time.

Random shot of the truck after I used a Chamonix white touch-up pen on the areas where the trim peeled paint:

Took the pup to get a car wash. This is when i realized how badly the seals are actually "sealing" around the doors and windows. Water just sprays in at certain sections, making for a very surprised dog.

20181228_204213 by marc_scuiletti, on Flickr

I had been chasing exhaust leaks for quite some time in the fall, using my shop vac taped to the tail-pipe, blowing towards the engine without the truck running (safer than sucking gas fumes through the other way). I noticed the bulk of the leak was at the manifold, so new gaskets were installed on both sides of the manifold.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I took my first trip to Drummond Island in Michigan to do some light wheeling. The truck did just fine on the 5 hour drive there and back, and no issues during the trip.

Progress has slowed due to winter and my garage only fitting a new project.

21 - 40 of 125 Posts
About this Discussion
124 Replies
18 Participants
zachdes
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing