RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New LCA: fixed speed wobble, brake wobble, and front end noise issues.

Noise video (good example is at around 1 minute with brakes lightly depressed going around 20 mph): https://a3c7db00cdc50d323dded22977d7bcb8faa5dc3e.googledrive.com/host/0B9uQq4Mgn_t8NFVtSnhvOFZtV2c/2014-05-01 12.41.29.mp4

So my 2006 RRS HSE with 88k miles has been making noises over bumps at low speed, the steering wheel has been wobbling at around 55 MPH, and the wheel would wobble more when I pressed the brakes at 55 as well. I finally got around to replacing the LCA's in the front (as well as the sway bar bushings, but I did that about a month ago and the problems persisted) and all of those problems have subsided. If you are having the same issues as I was, give the LCA replace a try; you will spend around 500$ if you already have the tools, maybe $600 if not.

Hardest part... separating the ball joints and cracking the hub nut. I broke a breaker bar AND a 1/2 inch socket trying to break the nut. Save yourself the hassle and buy a 3/4 inch breaker bar and socket. In regard to the ball joints, I just beat on them for a few hours with the other end of the breaker bar (the 3/4 inch Pittsburgh 19 inch bar is pretty heavy), but you might want to buy some pickle forks to save you time. Make sure the car is locked in access height when you take out the LCAs so the suspension piston is at a more compressed height.

I followed this guide http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic86153.html (but didn't do the tie rods). After I was done the car was un-drivable so I had to spin the tie rods to get the car aligned a little better. I used the string method (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuYsd7SUwTA) to do a more precise alignment the next day until I can get in to the dealer for the special alignment.

Some pics are below...

2014-07-15 21.47.14 - Copy.jpg 2014-07-16 12.14.08.jpg 2014-07-16 13.12.36.jpg 2014-07-16 17.17.30.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Re: New LCA: fixed speed wobble, brake wobble, and front end noise issues.

Good job. Does the axle nut need to be removed?

Also add in $90 for an alignment. Fortunately, your bushing bolts were not frozen to the point that you needed a sawzall w a rescue blade to cut them off. That's the trifecta of hell on LCA swaps.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Heh so I hear, the car has always been in Texas so there isn't too much salt corrosion to mess the bolts up. To free the LCA ball joint from under the hub requires the half shaft being out of the way. Maybe if the car was on a high lift you could wiggle the LCA to the side enough to clear it, but no promises. You definitely have to undo the tie rod and the back two bolts on the LCA first to be able to get the half shaft clear of the hub though.

Here are the torques I used, the numbers on the right are in ft/lbs

View attachment 86178

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts

So ironic. I logged in to post that I just had my LCA's replaced because of steering wheel wobble. It would wobble around 50-60 mph and also around 25-10 when I applied the brakes. Now here's the kicker:

It has done this for the past 15K miles, starting at 30K. I know , early but the bushings aren't just prone to wear from driving but the elements as well. Being a Michigan original car you may underastand the salt component. I digress.

The dealer told me first it was the rotors. Wrong I just put them on 5K miles ago and had them checked for true right before I took it to the shop because I knew they would say that.

After I debunked that they said it was the tires because I was runing 45 series instead of 40. Wrong again as it did the same things with the stock tires I also repalces 5K miles ago.

Then it was the alignment. Wrong again as I just had this done less than 5K ago and it was doing it before that. Wheels balanced, same story. These idiots just go through a list and have no clue. Mind you I was standing at the service counter refuting what he was saying with each breath so at least it wasn't like I had to make multiple trips to the dealer and actually do all the work they were recommending (and pay for!)

Finally they called me after I left and said 'it's your LCA.s that need replacing and I said 'are you sure? You would have replaced half the vehicle already if I was a moron. Are you guaranteeing it will solve the problem?' He said yes and I ok'd the work.
Well they actually gave me a fair price as well-$950 to replace both LCA complete, not just the bushings and yes, it seems to have fixed the problem, thankfully.

Moral-most of these guys have no clue. They just want to start replacing parts, especially when the vehicvle is out of warrenty and it's all gravy. If I hadn't of known what I was taiking about I would have been out thousands and multiple trips of frustration to the stealer. I have no good Indy shops around and the dealer is right down the road so they're my default.

Also I have done a ton of research here to understand the issues and common misconceptions about these vehicles and I knew more than the service employee. He had no idea that you could actually replace the bushings, not just the whole LCA. When I said, 'That price is for the whole arm replacement correct?' he said "yes, you can't just replace the bushings'. WRONG.

So thank you to all for your input. It really does help! Sorry for the long rant but I hope this helps others save time and money.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Heh yeah, the metal on metal dull thud when slightly pressing the brakes going over bumps at around 20 MPH is the dead give away I would say. I did the rotors, alignment, and wheel balance first though, since those things are relatively cheap in comparison, plus they didn't hurt. Oh well now we know what to look for next time =]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts