Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I just purchased a 2005 L322 with 118,000 miles on it. It seems to be in extraordinarily good condition. It retains the air bag suspension. I am the 4th owner. It was originally sold in Florida, so does not have the heated seats or steering wheel. Silver in color and has the factory wheels. One of the reasons I went for this year is that I own a BMW 7 series with essentially the same motor and I love that motor and am pretty familiar with it. Very little wear on the inside and near perfect on the outside. New tires. This will be a whole different animal than the 94 LWB that I had for a short time (hence my lwbdriver name).

I plan to do an oil change first thing, of course, so as to have a baseline. I use Mobile 1 5W-30 in my BMW. Same oil in the Rover? I don't want to start another oil thread, just wanting to confirm one way or the other. In addition to an oil change, what baseline maintenance would you all recommend? The PO said something about him changing the driveshaft and the suspension arms and fuel pump. That is all he did in the last 3 years. I have no history from before that. I have some connections at the Land Rover dealership in Centerville, Utah and plan in taking in the title and have them run the VIN to see if anything interesting pops up.

I thought that headrest DVD players were standard from 2005 on. I guess I am mistaken because mine doesn't have them. I have tried to research about the L322 before buying, but there is a whole universe of information I don't know. I am a DIY kind of a guy, but I am sure that there is much I will not be able to do myself on this thing other than routine maintenance, from what I have read. My wife will be the main driver of the truck and won't put more than 3,000 miles a year on it, I'm sure.

My test drive was in a snowstorm, by the way, and I was VERY impressed how it handled. Thanks, in advance, for all your help and patience. I am sure I'll be here often.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Well, first things I go through with a new BMW Rover I purchase is pretty simple:

2-3 oil changes in a span of 100 miles, clears any loose sludge that may be built up (I use 5-30 Pennzoil P+ in summer, and 0-40 Pennzoil Euro in winter months)

Differential oil changes, as people usually neglect to take care of this simple job

First rain I check the rear window seals, and replace accordingly if found to be leaking. I also will check with a pressure washer if I'm washing the truck

Check transmission fluid, always use genuine ZF Lifeguard and BMW/LR filter. May be difficult sourcing one from a BMW dealership, I've found that they can't really look up the part number for whatever reason, maybe only my dealer

Check all of the coolant lines, flush coolant system with genuine BMW blue coolant, I believe Zerex/Gerex something like that also makes a compatible fluid

Put it on a lift and check all of the air suspension bags for cracking, you may not see much but in a few instances I've seen some pretty bad cracking, even as early as a 2010 (Ford dealer put it on a lift for me to look underneath it, nice guys) The 03-05s were especially easy to rebuild the compressor, I usually do that with a Bagpipingandy kit off of eBay..

I reckon that's it, probably forgetting something but there's not much special LR stuff.. Above will make sure it's running just fine for whatever length of time until something eventually breaks on it's own.

DVD headrests were never standard, unfortunately. You should still have heated front seats though.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good information. Thanks. I seem to recall that my 94 LWB required some special procedure with the air suspension in order to put it on a lift. Is there anything I need to do to the L322 before I lift it? Perplexing about the heated seats and steering wheel. I know for a fact it doesn't have that option. That is one thing I really enjoy in my BMW. Makes that first few miles so much more bearable in the winter.

I will do what you suggested in the next week or 2. In the meantime, as I mentioned, I'll run a VIN check at the dealership. The PO said that they were the ones who did his work the last 3 years. My fingers are crossed hoping I got a good one. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
When I have mine on a two post lift I usually put it in off road mode without the battery disconnected, or normal height with a jack. When disconnecting the battery, you will need to turn the steering wheel left to right all the way to reset the steering angle sensor and clear the faults that pop up.

Good luck with the truck!

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.