RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang... I need a sanity check from a good bunch of guys always willing to help (I'm talking about you!)...

Anyway, while I'm not prone to losing my keys, one day about a month ago, I did indeed lose my Key number 1. Been using wife's key number two for the last month while the dealer ordered a new key number 1 with remote, cut it wrong, then ordered the correct shank on the second try. So I stop in, compare the cut (looks good this time), then the parts guy and I go out to synchronize it.

Now I've done this many times before with the old #1 key and the #2 key that I still have, so the procedure is not in question. But none of us-- the LR parts guy, the shop foreman, myself or one of their other techs, could get this new fob to sync with the truck. So, they're trying to tell me, and this is where I wanted second opinion, they need to hook up to the becm and "do diagnostics". They're trying to tell me that if the problem really is the key, they'll warranty the key and no charge for the diagnostics. But, if they can get in the BECM and make it recognize, then they charge me because it's a problem with my truck and not the key.

Just to be sure I'm not crazy, when I got home I disconnected the battery, let everything sit for about 15 minutes, and then went thru the new battery dance. Sure enough, it did not recognize my #2 as I expected, and I was able to resynchronize it with out a problem. I never had a problem synchronizing my old #1 key either. But this new #1 key just will not sync. And all my troubleshooting instincts point to the key.
-- my other keys never had a problem sync'ing
-- my other key still syncs when needed
-- the new key has NEVER worked.

What's the likelihood that it's my truck, and not a DOA key?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Re: New key fob won't sync-- is the dealer telling me the truth?

First, to clarify when you're trying to synch are you talking about the remote door lock or the engine immobilizer?

Anyway, I'm no expert w/ regards to keys, but if you're able to synch the #2 w/o any problem, then there might indeed be some problem w/ the new key. I suppose the worst case scenario is I assume $60 bucks or so, so I say it's worth a try and have them diagnose the problem.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts

Sometimes my key takes up to a month of trying every day to get it to sync.

They're touchy like that sometimes.

·
Registered
238 Posts

HAd a similar problem with my key not wanting to sync which made my truck's alarm go all wonky. Pay the money to have them do it, not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

TheoR said:
First, to clarify when you're trying to synch are you talking about the remote door lock or the engine immobilizer?

Anyway, I'm no expert w/ regards to keys, but if you're able to synch the #2 w/o any problem, then there might indeed be some problem w/ the new key. I suppose the worst case scenario is I assume $60 bucks or so, so I say it's worth a try and have them diagnose the problem.
Simply trying to synchronize the remote on the key fob with the vehicle so that the remote locks/unlocks the doors and set/disarms the alarm.

·
Registered
820 Posts

If key 2 resyncs easy then there's nothing wrong with your car.

They have the wrong key. This could be because your becm has been replaced in the past. Check the vehicle history.

You can let them look into the becm with their diagnostics, but they wont find anything other than to check the VIN number out to see if it is indeed the wrong key.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Rick-the-Pick said:
If key 2 resyncs easy then there's nothing wrong with your car.

They have the wrong key. This could be because your becm has been replaced in the past. Check the vehicle history.

You can let them look into the becm with their diagnostics, but they wont find anything other than to check the VIN number out to see if it is indeed the wrong key.
Ya I'm pretty sure the BECM has not been replaced. When I bought the truck a 2 1/2 years ago, there was only 1 key, and the fob was completely dead. The truck was saying "low battery in remote" each time the truck was started. So I bought a new #1 and #2 key at that time. Both keys sync'd perfectly then, and it was that #1 that I lost.

I'm with you that I believe it's the key, not the truck, but they won't order another fob until they take a crack at it with their diagnostics. It bugs me to think that there may still be some way that they can tweak my truck to fit the key, then turn around and charge me for that too.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts

I'd tell them to fix it with the $150 key (or whatever you just paid) at no charge, or take their broken key and stick it. Then go to the next closest dealer, explain the issue, and have them do it correctly.

·
Registered
541 Posts

Does your dealer have a history of "dickish-ness" that you would not trust them to be honest about what the diagnostic reveals? I mean they might hook it up, determine the truck is fine, and then try harder to get your key working and you are spared any additional expense.

Or if you are a good customer and spend decent money there, bend the ear of someone in charge if they try to fork you with some diagnostic time. I have a great relationship with my dealer and would rather they go through whatever steps they need to do (i'm sure there is some "official" flow chart in the book they have to follow or something - lol). Whine/b*tch, threaten until they comp you the diagnostic time. Worth a shot!

·
Registered
234 Posts

stealers, stealers, stealers, they know you cannot go anywhere else sale must down this months!!
Most landrover dealers are franchised so it doesn't matter even if you threaten to complain they know they have got you.
I was in my local dealers before i knew better!! and they answered the phone to a concerned L322 owner who had broken down, apparently the car had just been in for service and then broken down just after wards, the guy from the dealer told him in no uncertain terms to phone land rover assisstance that was it. Then came of the phone and said to his mate at the desk in front of me and about 3 other mugs/costumers "i don't build em do I".
That says it all to me
onetime

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

"has my truck ever been stolen?". No ...
"have you ever replaced the BECM?". No ...
"then it's your brand new key that's at fault!"

looks like the real cause of the problem is that LR (wherever it is that they cut and program the keys) was at fault for cutting the wrong key to begin with. Maybe they inverted numbers in the vin, whatever, but the first key was wrong.
Now, here's where things went awry. Instread of ordering the entire key/fob as a unit, they just ordered the shank, thinking the fob was generic until sync'd.

Not so. Even the fobs are vin specific, even if they are not in sync.

As a result LR Flatirons is doing the right thing, and they are warrantying the key and will cover the diagnostics used to confirm my truck wasn't the problem.

Now everyone at LR knows that the fobs are electronically vin specific too!!!
Now crossing my fingers that the 3rd key will be right.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,307 Posts

flamecycle said:
As a result LR Flatirons is doing the right thing...
I don't use the dealer for anything other than parts I need RIGHT NOW, but in my extremely limited dealings with Denver LR dealers, Flatirons is the best, then Denver East in aurora, trailed by a VERY DISTANT third, LR Denver South.

I went to a Denver East LR-sponsored ice driving event out on Georgetown lake a couple months ago. My down-the-street neighbor has an LR3, and he passed the invite to me. Driving on a frozen lake was cool. Plus, i got to drive an LR4 and a 2010 Range Rover.
Something slightly bizarre about driving someone else's $85,000 vehicle on a frozen lake, sliding all over hell & gone.

·
Registered
966 Posts

I agree. It seems like the Aurora store has most of the parts in stock as well.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,307 Posts

Jay:
I was up in your neck of the woods yesterday, at the Embassy Suites in Loveland.
Jeebus, that's a long way from nowhere.
I was digging the 75 mph speed limit on I-25. :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Jim-00-4.6 said:
flamecycle said:
As a result LR Flatirons is doing the right thing...
I don't use the dealer for anything other than parts I need RIGHT NOW, but in my extremely limited dealings with Denver LR dealers, Flatirons is the best, then Denver East in aurora, trailed by a VERY DISTANT third, LR Denver South.

I went to a Denver East LR-sponsored ice driving event out on Georgetown lake a couple months ago. My down-the-street neighbor has an LR3, and he passed the invite to me. Driving on a frozen lake was cool. Plus, i got to drive an LR4 and a 2010 Range Rover.
Something slightly bizarre about driving someone else's $85,000 vehicle on a frozen lake, sliding all over hell & gone.

oh that sounds like lots of fun!!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Got a message today that my new key was in at the dealer. that's good news. I'm hoping that third time is a charm.

The cut looks right. That's a good sign. We go out to my truck, and would you believe... the new friggin' key won't fit the lock!!! But using my #2 key in the door, the remote for the new #1 key syncs up. So the second key ordered fits the lock but wont sync, and the third key syncs but won't fit the lock cylinders. Are they drinking warm lucas beer when they make these things????

Looking closely at the key that fits and the key that doesn't, the blade part down the middle is wildly different. On the key that works, the blade part down the middle is nearly paper thin. On the key that doesn't the blade part down the middle of the key is really fat. Even fatter than my #2 key that I've been using. So I made them take the two new keys apart and give me the blade and the remote that work. Then when I got home, I switched around blades from my spare key to this new key so my spare has the paper thin blade, and my new #1 has a much more normal looking blade, and my wife gets her #2 key back.

The moral of the story here is don't ever ever ever lose your key. My local dealer did make one goof in this whole thing, but most of the problem is from wherever the dealer gets their keys from, probabaly LR in England. 8~ I know I know I could make them order new keys until they get the whole thing right, but this can't keep going... besides, now I'm working them for a deal on other parts. ;)

And don't ever lose your key! Never!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts

WOW! :doh:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Scotty said:
WOW! :doh:
you said it...

Hey Scotty check your PM box... I sent you a message.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Here's a pic of what I was talking about with the blade part of the key....
Both of these work, but the one that is paper thin doesn't seem like it would be as durable in the long run, so I put it in my spare dead fob.

The one on the left is the new blade in my dead spare fob. The one on the right is my spare blade in my new fob. The blade that came in the new fob was even fatter than the one on the right, and while it technically work in the ignition, it was so stiff that the ignition stayed in the start position. They kept that one to warranty replace the first key.

:think:

·
Registered
48 Posts

Your two keys look different (thickness wise). My key thing is not exactly the same as yours but on my old '97 RR I ordered a new spare key as I only got the usual one from a salesman. Anyway the new one wouldn't fit right. So I spoke witht the service manager at the RR dealership and he suggested filing my new spare a bit on the edges because my old key and the RR's lock tumblers had worn each other a little over the years.
And when I say file it a bit I just rounded off the edges a little bit then the key worked perfectly. Not the same as your case exactly but thought it might help someone sometime or even you if you ever get the right keys from them.
Aynsley

1 - 20 of 21 Posts