RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inquired twice to my local stealership about getting another key and they have yet to get back to me... Does anyone know the least expensive way to obtain another key? Also, does anyone know of an independent in the Chicago area that could update my bluetooth software? I do not want to give this stealership my business!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
As far as the key is concerned, you really have no choice but an overpriced dealer. The key needs to come from Land Rover UK programmed and cut for your specific VIN, so you can't just buy one on eBay as it will never work (dealers can only activate or deactivate a valid key for your car, but can't program or reprogram its EEPROM.) Call a few dealerships in your area for the best price of course, but it's going to cost you a few hundred bucks either way, and you'll have to wait a week or two before the key arrives. And don't forget to bring all your existing keys with you at the dealer when they sync the new key fob to your car or the one(s) you leave behind will automatically be deactivated.

Someone from your area will hopefully chime in regarding an indy shop able to upgrade your BT module, they need to be equipped with up-to-date diagnostics to do so.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FYI: I found a place an independent in Chicago land that has all the new IDS software. I will let you know my opinion once I have a time to get to the place... Much less expensive ($50 key program and $100 bluetooth software update). The dealer wanted $130 & $130 + Tax and the last time I was there for a software update I got charged $19 for shop supplies. WTF? shop supplies were used for a software update? That kind of stuff just rubs me the wrong way...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
beachfront said:
wait until a headlight goes out....

How much does that cost? Can't you just replace that yourself?

·
Registered
126 Posts
The dealer - Being LandRover of Newport Beach:

Wants $ 375 bucks per bulb plus $ 150 for labor

Total: $ 900.00 (that was with a 5% discount on the bulb for being a good customer)

Ebay:
$ 65.00 for 2 of the same bulbs
20 minutes of your own time (very easy)

Total: $ 65.00

This still pisses me off. I even emailed LR and was told that each dealer can charge whatever they want.

Before I buy a new sport, I will call every dealer in the country.. who ever has the cheapest lightbulbs is where I am buying the car...

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
beachfront said:
Before I buy a new sport, I will call every dealer in the country.. who ever has the cheapest lightbulbs is where I am buying the car...
Some time ago at a LR dealer in Newport Beach

Land Rover Salesman: "Um, Mr. beachfront, thanks for purchasing your new car from us, we would appreciate it when someone calls, you would give us the highest ratings for customer satisfaction as it is very important to us. This will also ensure that you continue to get the 5% good customer discount from us."

Sales manager: "And is there anything else we can help you with today?"

beachfront: "Sure thing guys, and no...I think I have everything, thanks!"

Sales manager: "You know, you really negotiated a bad deal with that guy, this dealership just lost over $800 on that car."

Salesman: "Sorry boss, just trying to make my quota this month. Don't worry though...the dealership will make it up. He'll be back for lightbulbs in a couple of years"

Manager (laughing): "Oh yeah, I always forget about that."

·
Registered
126 Posts
I must be doing something right...

I doubt any of you bums get 5% off of $ 400 lightbulbs...

either that or they really sell them for $100 bucks and just dont want me back at the dealership...

something is wrong when you have to get a credit check for light bulbs..

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
beachfront said:

Very funny, yet I know exactly how you feel...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts