RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so here was my problem... i bought the new range rover and it came with a wood & leather heated steering wheel. call me weird, but i didn't like the wood accent. i had it in a 2013 F150 and didn't like it there either. i bought a full leather steering wheel (i know, i know) and didn't want to pay the 2 hours labour that the dealership wanted. my first question was "where's the battery?" found it. was in the trunk under the spare tire. disconnected the negative terminal. also, just to be safe, i popped off the trunk panel (passengers side (right)) and disconnected the negative terminal of what my guess is the accessory battery.

...waited about 10 minutes to let any capacitors discharge. couldn't find anything on the interwebs about how to remove the airbag and the steering wheel. i'll do a better write-up if someone wants to know how, but you basically turn the steering wheel upside down and there's a small indentation on the bottom of the steering wheel that is designed to push an elongated tool through that will help you release the spring that holds the air bag on. just one spring. thank goodness as i was scared to death. ...was wearing my motorcycle helmet if you don't believe me. :)

took about 20 minutes to disconnect the paddle shifters and front controls and move them over to the new steering wheel. my son took video as we progressed in case we couldn't figure it out. no surprises. we got it all sorted out. about 90 minutes after we started, we were done. i think i could do it again (now that i know what i'm doing) in about 30-40 minutes tops. ...i'm still amazed that i found so little about this operation online... one of you will point me to a video that's out there that will prove me wrong, but please don't take away the little pride i have right now for accomplishing this small task. :)

all the buttons work, including the heated thing. i look forward to getting to know you folks. i love my vehicles and, although i'm not *super* technical, i'm willing to tackle stuff just to get to know my vehicle better. i'm looking forward to learning tons here!

if anyone cares for further info on what i did above, please reach out. i wish i had had some info before i started my project today.

mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bravo! Also, no you're not "weird". I also prefer a leather steering wheel much more than a wood/leather wheel.

The thick, grippy leather wheels in any of the BMW M or M Sport Packages have spoiled me toward a leather wheel. They feel much more comfortable and secure while driving. Wood is nice for the luxury look, but for driving, nothing beats the feel of a thick all-leather wheel.

Count me in.

...by the way, you're a brave man for tackling this project.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the note. i felt "brave", but in all honesty, i followed best practices. i, too, believe the "all leather" feel is better for driving. my daily driver is an E63 wagon and i love the all leather steering wheel.

today was a success. i just wish there was more info on DYI's on the L405! maybe i'll see that here.

mark

·
Registered
252 Posts
I am with you on the leather steering wheel. I never liked the glare that always was in my face with the early afternoon sun and a wood steering wheel. Congrats on getting this accomplished without a hitch!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's brand new one on eBay for US$499. I paid just over US$700 at the local LR dealer.

Mark

·
Registered
703 Posts
Congrats!

I swapped out the leather wheel for the leather/piano wheel on my L322 Range Rover. Took me about 20 minutes. Saved a ton from having the dealer do it. Easy as pie.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Im swapping out the leather wheel for the wood one. The wood just makes it look so much more luxurious. I also like to tap on the wood while listening to music :) anyone have instructions for how to do it? I've got an L405.

It may not be worth doing myself howver as the dealer only charges $75 to swap.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Im swapping out the leather wheel for the wood one. The wood just makes it look so much more luxurious. I also like to tap on the wood while listening to music :) anyone have instructions for how to do it? I've got an L405.

For $75, I'd just have the dealer do it.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,986 Posts

Wow is it that cheap? That's a price of topping up fluids and eyeballing your vehicle.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
117 Posts
I prefer the leather as well, and had ordered that but when I traded for my Black Pack Supercharged car I lost it for the wood. The wood looks better, the leather feels better. Either way I haven't missed it too much but will spec the next one with leather again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts