RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RR Td6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody - new here. Have been lurking for a while. About to turn in my 2017 Td6 for a new 2020 Td6. Love the truck and can't wait for the new one. Pics of old and new below. This forum is great - search has helped me with a bunch of ?s and DIYs for small stuff.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Welcome! How do you love your diesel? I imagine that you do love them as you are getting another. I’m looking at upgrading to a 2018-2019 RR now and am considering diesel but have not owned or driven one yet. How’s the performance feel and efficiency? Any noise difference?

·
Registered
2020 RR Td6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the warm welcome. Old one is Carpathian Gray/ Cirrus interior. Would have spec'd the same for the new one if they still offered Cirrus as an interior color. Bummer! New one is Aruba/Ebony.

PSA - I have some pre-facelift accessories I'm posting to the FS forum. Waterproof rear seat covers just posted.

We (me and the wife) really like the diesel. We came from a 2014 Cayenne Turbo (great SUV) but wanted something a bit more lux and smooth. Back in 2017 we didn't like the supercharged 6 - felt gruff and honestly I thought the ecoboost 6cyl explorer I rented was a better powertrain - and the supercharged overpowered the RR chassis tuning (and cornered more nose heavy). We drove the new ingenium 6cyl before ordering the new one and throttle tip in was really sensitive and the sound was really fake (worse than the BMW F10 M5 I had with the synthetic noise).

Td6 is not fast. I think its very smooth (slow transmission suits the diesel well) and quiet (the noise isn't racy but not bad). Makes the truck a "smooth and steady" driver vs. something punchy/ exciting. Plenty of oomph around town but slow 50-70 - this can matter depending on what you are doing with it. The diesel suits the chassis well.

Its different/ knows what it is. I like the idea of my RR being smooth and steady vs. trying to be a drag racer with a high 5000lb chassis. Plus, we get ~22mpg with mostly city driving (and driving without paying attention to economy). Nice for the car I don't expect to be fast/ exciting to drive to get nice economy. Plenty of slow/steady trucks that get ~15mpg and have nothing to show for it.

We have fast cars and fun cars to have fun with and the Td6 does what we want perfectly. Smooth, comfy, safe transpo for the family with something that is a little more different/ special than what everybody else is driving. We've had diesels from other makes before (benz) and this one delivers on the diesel promise.

As an aside, it was not simple to get a 2020 diesel. Dealer says LR is pushing the hybrids and barely releasing any diesel slots.

·
Registered
57 Posts
How did your lighter interior hold up ? I’m about to swap mine out, it’s espresso interior/almond. Love the lighter interior, but on a past BMW I had oyster and just stained way to easy from clothing.

Congrats on new ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have had Cirrus Interiors on a RRS as well as our current RR. I had zero issues with the staining or discoloring. I do wipe them down weekly when cleaning the vehicle. Between the two we have over 100k miles of ass time in the drives seat and our son was 6 when we got our first one.

·
Registered
2020 RR Td6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd agree that Cirrus holds up well for a light interior. We had a bunch of light interiors in German cars and this leather is definitely tougher/ more robust. It feels thicker (and less supple/ pinch-able) vs. those interiors.

I haven't been out in the new one much yet. Will report back with differences in a bit. Early read is that the new one feels smoother/ quieter (and the eco setting has less aggressive throttle tip-in) - these could just be due to the "newness" of the powertrain.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
14 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome. Old one is Carpathian Gray/ Cirrus interior. Would have spec'd the same for the new one if they still offered Cirrus as an interior color. Bummer! New one is Aruba/Ebony.

PSA - I have some pre-facelift accessories I'm posting to the FS forum. Waterproof rear seat covers just posted.

We (me and the wife) really like the diesel. We came from a 2014 Cayenne Turbo (great SUV) but wanted something a bit more lux and smooth. Back in 2017 we didn't like the supercharged 6 - felt gruff and honestly I thought the ecoboost 6cyl explorer I rented was a better powertrain - and the supercharged overpowered the RR chassis tuning (and cornered more nose heavy). We drove the new ingenium 6cyl before ordering the new one and throttle tip in was really sensitive and the sound was really fake (worse than the BMW F10 M5 I had with the synthetic noise).

Td6 is not fast. I think its very smooth (slow transmission suits the diesel well) and quiet (the noise isn't racy but not bad). Makes the truck a "smooth and steady" driver vs. something punchy/ exciting. Plenty of oomph around town but slow 50-70 - this can matter depending on what you are doing with it. The diesel suits the chassis well.

Its different/ knows what it is. I like the idea of my RR being smooth and steady vs. trying to be a drag racer with a high 5000lb chassis. Plus, we get ~22mpg with mostly city driving (and driving without paying attention to economy). Nice for the car I don't expect to be fast/ exciting to drive to get nice economy. Plenty of slow/steady trucks that get ~15mpg and have nothing to show for it.

We have fast cars and fun cars to have fun with and the Td6 does what we want perfectly. Smooth, comfy, safe transpo for the family with something that is a little more different/ special than what everybody else is driving. We've had diesels from other makes before (benz) and this one delivers on the diesel promise.

As an aside, it was not simple to get a 2020 diesel. Dealer says LR is pushing the hybrids and barely releasing any diesel slots.
Agree with all of the above - love my 2018 td6. We also have other cars that satisfy the performance category. The RR is our workhorse for skiing, the beach and dump runs. Pre-covid, i commuted 35 miles in stop and go and still got 27-28mpg. On trips I’ve done 29+ consistently and as well as 31 on a long highway trip in warmer weather, truly outstanding for a large luxury suv. My only gripe is the excessive roll of the body on mountain roads. I understand that it’s a 5k pound suv, but I’d be willing to give up a little lux for less lean on windier, undulating roads. I plan to replace this with another td6 but worry about availability in future years, particularly in light of your comment on diesel slots. Have you notes any changes to the handling of the new 2020? Did you get air?

·
Registered
2020 RR Td6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey - not sure what you mean by "air" but both are US-spec HSEs with air springs and the old one has TerrainResponse2, which we didn't option in the new one (should do fine for our few ski weekends without it, we don't offorad).

Dealer says he has tons of hybrids and could only get us a diesel built to order (no open slots for cars coming to US up for grabs). Ordered in Jan and arrived last week.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like my diesel. With the windows up (which they always are while driving) it's very quiet. They did a great job on that. It's easy to order at a drive through as well. The only time I hear a real "diesely" noise is in a concrete parking garage with the window down. Then it sounds like a diesel, LOL.

I agree with the poster above, the power is smooth and steady, and doing an average speed of 65-75 (depending on the highway) you get 28-30 mpg. Not bad at all.

On whether I'd get another diesel? Probably. If they doubled the size of the gas tank for the 450 hp gas engine, I'd probably go with that, but with the same size gas tank the range difference between 14-19 mpg and 25-30 mpg is no joke. I wouldn't want to fill up the tank 2x/wk just for the privilege of driving like an @sshat now and again.

Now if they brought the V8 diesel to the U.S., that really would be something to buy a new one for!

·
Registered
2020 RR Td6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
V8 diesel. mmmm.

Also, anybody want waterproof rear seat covers cheap (pre-facelift). I have a set never installed that need a new home

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
249 Posts
I am interested if they will fit a 16' L405 Td6? I am always hauling my dogs around. Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
2020 RR Td6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes - they should fit all SWB, standard bench (no power or console), 60/40 split, pre-facelift L405s.

Color = Ebony (black).

Pics and part #s (if you want to run by the dealer parts department) over on the FS forum:

Happy to connect off forum if interested.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts