RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished the Audi heater core swap and everything is hooked up and motors work great but it is not getting hot/warm. We are full of antifreeze and Im 99% sure I have the right hose going to the right spot. The hose that comes out of the coolant tank goes to the inlet on the core correct!?

Any ideas why I may not be getting heat?

Thank you for any suggestions, Im cold

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Re: New heater core (audi swap) and still no heat!? HELP please

Please tell me you are at testing stage and that the dash and everything is not installed yet...

Are the heater hoses getting warm? Are 100% the heater core temp sensor is installed and hooked up?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The hoses under the hood were warming but didnt really think to check right at the heater core. What exactly does the temp sensor look like? I checked to make sure everything was plugged up but I may have missed something, thank you!

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts

It's the sensor that clamped to one of the heater core pipes when you took everything out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Ok that's why I didn't clamp that back. Previous owner had apparently started the task but didn't finish and didn't clamp it back and it is missing the clamp. Can I just use a hose clamp and it be ok?

·
Registered
248 Posts

I'm curious about the heater core temperature sensor too. In the original configuration it seats firmly against a metal tube. Now with the audi heater core the tubes are too skinny and clipping it to a rubber hose seems like a bad way to transmit the heat energy and seems inaccurate. I can only assume this sensor stops the car from blowing cold air when there water is cold, i have no idea what a sensor there should do. I am so exhausted from this job. Hardest Philips head ever. IF everything is in good working order it might be OK. but....

I had every conceivable problem, wrong tool for getting at the o ring screw, that took a day, then stripped threads on that screw, then the extractor sheared the head off (I'm am familiar with proper extractions) THEN drilling out the screw threads required a weird combo of tools to get a drill bit in that far, couldn't save the double o right bracket due to the threads having become one with the bracket, had to order a replacement of express ship from the ALMIGHTY SCOTTY, then once installed I found I had drilled into the plastic of the heater core due to impossible angles of attack during the extraction, then found out about the audi retro fit, couldn't figure out how to pull the dash away (I removed the air bag after figuring out the wood trim actually helps hold it in) then had to find bizarre adapters to match it and hope it held pressure, then having trouble breaking out the plastic inside the heater core (hint: cut a line through the middle of the divider closest to the rear of the car and pull both halves till it snaps clean) THEN wishing I didn't have the copper heater core because those pipes are FLIMSY! (get the aluminum/plastic one if you can) I had to cut the plenum in two places rather than one to get it back in, I had to remove a blend motor for some reason I can't remember and then couldn't get the cog to line back up (theres a hidden level behind it's female mate that allows you to swivel it into the proper position) and now I am left with piles of hardware I can't remember what goes in where.

If it weren't for constant support from both ALMIGHTY SCOTTY and the BENEFICENT MARTIN (leftlanetrucking) I would not have been able to get the truck running. Thank you both so much. I still need to reassemble the interior and ducts and while testing the system I blew a water pump hose, I couldn't find the hose clamp so I may have forgotten it. :naughty:

everything is holding pressure and once I reset the airbag alarm and fing out how to reassemble the RH center console air duct which is now in three peices I'll be ready to move on to the next preject. Finding out why I have no hot air. Maybe it's that heater core sensor?!? Madness.

·
Registered
268 Posts

Feel your Pain Dark...
I did the Audi swap, and it all worked well for a while, and a few weeks back I noticed a coolant leak, so disconnected it again pending a look.. either I tweeked the core pipe, or the center divider rubbed the core!
Mine did work and blow hot tho...
I too, had to remove a blend motor and had issues getting it back in position... My other issue is the outside passenger vent, that the feed duct has come off.. Argh!

·
Registered
248 Posts

I want to know why my Audi rig doesn't blow warm at all as well. I've done like two bleeds. Scotty and I can't figure out if it even matters which hose goes where, it's not like it's a one way valve. It's just a cage for the water to move from one side to the other. Maybe the heater core sensor? Before I had HVAC problems, but it at least went warm.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts

I'm curious about the heater core temperature sensor too. In the original configuration it seats firmly against a metal tube. Now with the audi heater core the tubes are too skinny and clipping it to a rubber hose seems like a bad way to transmit the heat energy and seems inaccurate.
I did that mod and add some length to the OEM wires of the sensor in order to be able to install it on the metal tube next to the firewall.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

So do you have to leave the original piping?! I didnt want to chop it up so I by passed it and have adapters to the hoses under the hood. Also, if I clip the sensor to the new hoses is it going to read the temp properly?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts

Yes i kept the original piping but cutted it. No problem since there's ton of those in scrape yards and no one is interested by those.

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,113 Posts

FWIW,
Just had to replace my heater core temp sensor. A quick check of a new sensors resistance with multimeter equals approx... ambient 50 deg F = 45 Kohms, and placing your finger on the probe tip, applying body heat, resistance will slowly drop to about 35 Kohm.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I will get the sensor connected back to its home tomorrow, have to extend the wires. But, do i HAVE to put the factory pipes back in!? I really hate to keep chopping things up on my truck, all I have right now is 5/8 heater hose from the heater core through the firewall and adapters to fit to the hoses under the hood and it looks like a factory job and not some jimmy rigged crap. I would like to know if anyone has connected their senser to heater hose instead of the pipes and it still worked fine? I dont have a multimeter to check the sensor so I guess I will just connect it and pray and if doesnt work I will have to get a knew one.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts

well you could play guinea pig and give it a shot.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Ahhh how did I see that coming! Mid and upper 20s at night is starting to get too cold to be playing

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I found where the sensor was clipped to a butch of wires just out of the way. There are two plugs and one has the clip on it. Do both of them need clips or just one and where is the other supposed to be?

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts

The temp sensor should be attached to a blue plug with grey/orange and black/white wires coming from it. Not sure what the other plug is.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

The temp sensor wires come from the other plug and wires from it are about a ft long. Other plug is blue as well, this is why I'm confused. Sorry for my ignorance, new to the rover and it's heater core and the sensor wasn't hooked up to begin with so I had no clue

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts

No prob. Now I'm confused too...:think:

When in doubt, I'd say go with the wire colors. If they match back to and through the second plug then you should be OK.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I took a pic but now sure how to get it on here. I know the plug with the clip is right because I googled the part and looks the exact same and has the little sensor.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts