RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, brand new to rovers and have just purchased an 09 sport HSE as a daily, road trip machine and race car hauler. It does need some maintenance at this point especially pertaining to the suspension. Id like to see what everyones thoughts are on a few things.

First up, my air suspension seems fine (for the moment) but the shocks themselves are VERY worn. Is there any way to replace the shocks alone or is the airbag and shock all one unit?

What is everyones thoughts on a coil conversion?

Lastly, what are the best bushing/control arm packages out there to purchase? It is usually the lower one in the front that everyone replaces, right?

Thanks in advance for any help with these questions. Ill be here for a long time as I absolutely love this thing. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
106 Posts
The bag/shock comes as one unit. If it was mine I would leave it alone until it shows signs of leaking down, lowering on a side, etc. It may be that you're concerned about getting stranded on a road trip with a failed component, but you usually get a bit of a heads up when the system starts needing attention. Someone else will chime in on the other Q's.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
516 Posts
There are many threads about doing the coil conversation and it's up to you and your driving needs. I would say keep the EAS for hauling. It will keep your rig level and preserve how it was engineered to perform.
As for the LCAs I would replace the whole LCA with a new one and get new ball joints too. I actually got the best price from my dealership and had Firestone put them on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not quite true - you can buy and replace the shock assembly without the rest - however is is simply easier and not a lot more expensive to do the lot in one go.
Im going to have to agree with you. By basic design, it can't possibly be one piece so i think you're right!
The bag itself is sold separately as well.

Would you know a good place to source just the shock?

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Recommendations would depend on your location. However If your struts are worn out the bladders can't possibly have much life left in them. Usually the bladders wear out long before the struts. Getting bladders to seal on struts is a nightmare. It will save time and money in the long run to just replace what ever assemblies are in question.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased and installed Arnott shocks. J.C> Whitney had the best pricing I believe. Look on Arnott's site for installation. They do have kits just to replace the airbag if needed. Thanks Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts