RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've never owned a RR and I'm pretty close to taking the leap. I have my eyes on a 2011 RRS HSE with 68k miles for $25k, but I have some questions...

Are they expensive to maintain? The Land Rover dealer wants me to pay $4,000 for a 4 year power train warranty and $10k (yikes) for a 4 year bumper to bumper.

It's hard to believe, but the 2011-2013 Supercharged isn't that much more than HSE or HSE Luxs... what gives? Are the Supercharged models a lot more expensive to maintain? I'd gladly fork over another 2 or 3 grand for the faster RRS.

I didn't think there was that much difference between 2011, 2012 and 2013 models... is there?

Any replies would be helpful. Hopefully I can post a couple of pics of a new ride in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
57 Posts
The 2011 has a lot of technical service bulletins. I have a 2011 HSE and just had 3 repairs all covered under warranty. 1) VVT Selenoid replacement. $3700. 2) Fuse box and wire harness replacements $3,000 and 3) The other VVT selenoid on the other side of the engine. You could get lucky but yes repairs are costly on these vehicles. Here's a list of TSBs for each year http://www.landroverproblems.com/tsbs/Range_Rover_Sport/

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wouldn't say they are overly expensive to maintain. Scheduled services are pretty far apart and usually $500-$700 in my experience. However the cost of parts and labor can get expensive for repairs. I wouldn't think the supercharged model is more expensive to maintain over the HSE other than the additional parts, such as the dynamic suspension components, supercharger itself, etc.

Another thing to keep in mind is some features were only available on the supercharged model such as Dynamic Terrain Mode and adaptive cruise control/collision mitigation.

As far as model differences, the 2010-2011 has the 2 piece lift gate so you can open the whole hatch or just the glass. 2012+ has a 1 piece hatch, but adds power.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Get a 2013 with a CPO warranty and as far as the 10k goes. I racked up over 30k CDN during my warranty period. So, is it worth it? Yes, I think it is. That said I'd go to another LR dealership and see what kind of deal they'll give you. 10k for a warranty that is not CPO seems a little much to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll pass up the 2011 and wait for a 2012 with a better warranty... unless the Land Rover dealer comes back with a better price on the warranty. Maybe I'll luck up on a Supercharged.

·
Registered
14 Posts
These are superb machines -- best vehicle I've ever owned by far. But you do have to be prepared for the repair costs. I picked up a 2013 RRS HSE about 6 months ago and made sure I got good warranty coverage. It has some factory warranty left and I purchased an extended plan as well— I believe an additional 5 years. Theses vehicles are so complex; components are bound to break down. And the price to repair these complex systems is high as well. Get the best warranty you can. I've only had a couple (very) minor issues so far. Haven't had to pay for anything.

$10k for 4 years seems high to me. I think I paid around $5k for a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty. But this was also for a lower mileage vehicle with only about 30k miles.

·
Registered
76 Posts
This question comes up fairly often and I always chime in as I was on the fence as you in buying a rover. To build on what other's have said, yes this is the most capable, beautiful, powerful (s/c model) SUV out there in my opinion. Yes, it is a pain in the a-- to fix and incredibly expensive. I would NEVER own a Range Rover outside of a comprehensive warranty unless a) you're a grease monkey yourself or b) have a very good independent mechanic that will charge you fractions on the dollar and is very knowledgeable. There are a select few who get lucky and the day their rover was built was a good day. But I've had $20K+ work done on mine between the factory and extended warranty (including the supercharger being replaced). I plan on getting rid of mine as soon as the warranty is about to expire...and buy a lightly used big daddy Rover, with full warranty coverage, and let the cycle begin all over again. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts