RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Range Rove headlamps and taillamps look too much like a 2013 Ford Explorer?!

Why did Land Rover make 2013 Range Rover headlamps and taillamps look so similar to the 2013 Ford Explorer?! Did the new Indian run Land Rover borrow parts from Ford?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,990 Posts
Re: 2013 Range Rove headlamps and taillamps look too much like a 2013 Ford Explorer?!

if you at it very intensely, no it is different. even if you remove the badging.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Re: 2013 Range Rove headlamps and taillamps look too much like a 2013 Ford Explorer?!

Yes, the new Range Rover is indeed a Ford Explorer...they just rebadged it and charged 5x for the car.

Good catch:-?

·
Registered
258 Posts

A friend of mine bought a Explorer (not sure why).

Anyways I've placed the Range Rover and the Explorer side-by-side and they do not look alike. Sure there are elements that look close like the sweeping headlamp and taillight, but the individual design elements are different. If you look at both cars and can mistake them for one-another, don't be alarmed: I've seen people mistake BMWs for Fords as well. Forget the that… I've seen plenty of women get into the wrong car (including my mother) and often it's a different make and color!

That said, every manufacturer copies car design from one another. Heck look at the Hyundai Genesis Equus; it looks exactly like a Mercedes S-class and I don't see anyone really talk about that!

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
48 Posts
Personally, I do not mistake one for the other. However, as has been mentioned there are some design and engineering similarities.

Perhaps before the sale of the Jag/LR division to TaTa some of these design cues were already in place when Ford was the controlling party in Jag/LR (sharing of engineering and design elements between the Ford and LR engineers)?

It wouldn't be surprising for something like that to happen given both vehicles were probably penned around the same time while under Ford's ownership.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
458 Posts

I haven't done enough research as to who designed the L405, but heard this on NPR. I also found this quote from the Explorer page on Wikipedia...

"The Explorer's chief design engineer is Jim Holland, who was also a chief design engineer for Land Rover. Holland is responsible for the design of the current generation Land RoverRange Rover (L322). Holland also worked on the outgoing Ford Expedition (U324) during its initial development.[SUP][21]"
[/SUP]

Chances are they were being designed at the same time, right?

·
Premium Member
417 Posts

That is exactly what happened and considering that ford probably does alot less testing, they were able to come out with the Explorer first. I'm sure that LR is not real happy that people are saying the RR looks like an Explorer, when it's really the other way around. Ford stole alot of tech from LR and Volvo during their ownership.

·
Registered
405 Posts

It's the ultimate in understated luxury. Replace the RR badges with Ford badges and your employees don't think you are getting rich but you get all the advantages of the Rover. (scarcasm)

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts

Don't you mean Ford finanaced alot of tech for LR during their ownership? Considering Ford owned LR/Jag it can hardly be called stealing when Ford is footing the bill for R&D.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
170 Posts

Yes, the new Range Rover is indeed a Ford Explorer...they just rebadged it and charged 5x for the car.

Good catch:-?
Hahaha... love this response! :)

True on the Ford "dipping" into the LR parts bin or design studio. It's called cross-pollenation. Just like the LR uses Jag engines now. Still, that doesn't make the new RR a Ford Exploder though.

Other examples of cross-polenated results:

- New Ford Fusion has Aston Martin Grill
- Current LR Defender uses the legendary Ford Puma Diesel Engine
- Late 90's and early 00's Aston Martin DB7 and Jag XKR has Ford bits and pieces
- BMW X5 used LR's HDC technology
- Current Ford Explorer uses LR's Terrain Response

I wonder what's instore for JLR now that they're owned by Tata motors...

Although Ford might have financed it, I think LR got the shorter end of the stick there. Just look at the new Ford Fusion, can you say Aston Martin? - which Ford also owned during those times... On the flipside, the Aston Martin DB7 and the Jag XKR also had Ford bits and pieces on their interiors. in the late 90's and early 00's.

I think this has been the trend for quite awhile, cross-pollination to save money. BMW did it with Rover too with the HDC.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
353 Posts

What it means to enthusiasts is we do not buy the watered down generations of our preferred automobiles. For example:
Do not buy GM designed Saabs
Do not buy Ford designed Volvos
Do not buy Ford designed Land Rovers

I could go on but I think you got it. GM started ruining good brands back in the 50's and now the rest of world has followed the Generals lead. It sucks but it is life.

·
Registered
2 Posts

They do in fact have very similar headlamps and taillights; At the very least, the outlines are the same. I had observed it and was googling to see if anyone had similar observations and I founds this forum/thread.

The current Range Rover (L405, Model year 2013 - ) was designed by Gerry McGovern while the current Explorer was designed by Jim Holland. But as Ford owned Land Rover, it is likely that some design and engineering was shared. However, there are some major differences:

1. The Range Rover uses air suspension while the Explorer uses traditional coil springs.

2. Engine lineup for the Range Rover consist of V6 and V8 engines while for the Explorer, it consists of an inline four cylinder and a trio of V6 engines.

3. The Range Rover employs an eight speed transmission while the Explorer has a 6 speed.

·
Registered
2 Posts

That is the Range Rover Sport and not the big Range Rover.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
989 Posts

1. The Range Rover uses air suspension while the Explorer uses traditional coil springs.

2. Engine lineup for the Range Rover consist of V6 and V8 engines while for the Explorer, it consists of an inline four cylinder and a trio of V6 engines.

3. The Range Rover employs an eight speed transmission while the Explorer has a 6 speed.
4. The Explorer doesn't have a Range Rover Badging

Continuing the list of the obvious.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I agree I think it looks less similar, especially that the front lights no longer have that unique 'wrap around' to them. The rear is still a huge rip off of the RRS. At least though they got rid of the rear E X P L O R E R badging right across the window!

1 - 20 of 166 Posts