RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So just 4km outside my destination (Braemar) for my 2 week holiday, I pull over to admire the river at 9pm. As I stop a cloud of white smoke flies past my window. So I glide into the driveway of the house we have rented and switch off. The only sign that there had been a terminal issue was a very light low end misfire while crossing the mountains to the south of Braemar. The temperature gauge was reading 50% 'till I stopped. Then it rose to 60%.

I know the engine had gone porous 8 month ago when the engine temp hit 75% in a Belgium traffic jam. Since then, it has been topped up with about a litre of coolant every month and more recently, a litre every week. The coolant was topped up before leaving home 500 miles before the more evident problem, but that just shows how bad the porous block issue can become. What it looks like is that the engine coolant emptied internally and as a result, the head gasket has blown on cylinder 5 and 7. There has always been a knocking sound there as well, which I've always put down to a top end tap, but his has become much more of a knock with the blown head gasket. There is no oil in the cooling system, and no coolant in the oil. Just a very obvious smell of combusted petrol on the filler cap.

So Braemar Garage was called out to verify the issue. They called the AA again and poor old Rab from Edinburgh drove his flatbed out to me in Braemar. I left the family behind who were delivered a hire car, and was relayed down to Wellington which took about 18 hours. I then collected the company Td5 Disco and drove back the next night.

So I've decided I will have a go at the Chevy conversion if I can get my hands on the most critical component - the fuel injection unit which costs about twice that of the engine itself. The Accel DFI unit that Overfinch used on the p38 has the part number 77130, and the thing costs USD4K. It also looks like they are becoming obsolete. I can get a SBC 350 unit in the UK easily, but the tuned port injection is another matter. I can't wait too long to find it, but if you have one kicking around, or a source for one which can be imported to the UK, do please let me know. If I can't find something reasonable in about 10 days, then I will be ordering a 5.0 Rover V8 from the lads at V8Developments. I'm sure this will give me much less of a headache. :doh:

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Nice and sunny here in Sydney - not touched a spanner in what seems like ages....
You knew it was going to happen,but its a pain when it does,as long as the 5.0 from v8 developments has stepped liners I'd go for it.Alot less hassle than a conversion.
Just got to nip up to Port Douglas for a week then a few more days and back to the grind.(My Discovery needs serious help too.)

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Jon! I've know it was on the cards for a while. The V8Developments unit does have top hat liners. First and most important requirement. If there is a cheap TPI I may give it a go, but in reality the Rover unit is the most likely.

So how is your holiday? Heading out into the bush at all?

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
All going well,not much chance to get out in the bush as my wife and offspring are with me.....
But we did manage to break my brothers SIIA's engine mounts last week whilst attacking a power line maintenance track.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,391 Posts
allyv8 said:
Nice and sunny here in Sydney - not touched a spanner in what seems like ages....
Any chance of us meeting up? I live in western Sydney and can come to you - I'm on leave at the moment. My mobile no. is 0408 483 269

1 - 5 of 5 Posts