RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

Just installed a new engine in my 4.6 gems.

On the helppage of Rovacomlite it says that it offers the opportunity to reset the adaptive values when changing "major components".

Is anyone experienced in this field that can tell me what to expect when I do reset the values before the 1st start-up and what if I don't?

What do these values tell me ? What means -100 or -160 compared to +35?

Any advise is welcome.

Regards and thanks for your help

Olav

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
It tells the ECM to learn the values of new sensors more than a new motor.
If you installed your old sensors into the new motor, don't bother IMHO.
Only time I have reset them is when I have changed sensors.

Martin

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I have always reset the adaptive values when doing major engine work (like headgaskets, timing chain/camshaft, LPG installation...), so the ECU can get a fresh start. Even if the sensors aren't replaced, the engine can/will respond differently so I'd say it's a good idea to have the ECU start from the basemap instead of the adaptive map that was reached for the old engine/component.
The values you see indicate a positive or negative trim from the basemap, adjusted for the specific engine and conditions of your car. When the values are at the limit, this could indicate a problem.

Greetz,

Filip

Olav said:
Hello there,

Just installed a new engine in my 4.6 gems.

On the helppage of Rovacomlite it says that it offers the opportunity to reset the adaptive values when changing "major components".

Is anyone experienced in this field that can tell me what to expect when I do reset the values before the 1st start-up and what if I don't?

What do these values tell me ? What means -100 or -160 compared to +35?

Any advise is welcome.

Regards and thanks for your help

Olav

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
The ecu would eventually learn the new engine,but resetting the adaptions is a good idea as the new engine should be a much better air pump than the old unit - esp if the cam was worn / poor valves,seats / worn bores / pistons,rings.Manually adjusting the idle bypass to get the stepper at 15-30 steps at idle,in neutral,engine hot,all loads off - is good housekeeping too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts