RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I wanted to introduce myself as I recently purchased my first Range Rover. I have been looking at Range Rovers for a while. I always loved the classics and then really wanted one ever since the first sport supercharged came out. I ended up settling for Jeeps for a while but now I am all grown up with a 2016 Range Rover Sport Autobiography. I purchased it CPO with 27k miles. I had originally ordered a Jeep Trackhawk but after seeing it at the LA auto show I was disappointed. I sat in a Velar for all of 30 seconds and then it was all I could think about during the two hour drive home. The next day I backed out of the Trackhawk and purchased this.

Since I have had it, I powder coated the wheels black and added the front window tint. I also had the entire thing (front to back, top to bottom, inside and out) coated after being paint corrected. The entire undercarriage was ceramic coated (removed and coated skid plates etc), the plastic pieces and wheels were also ceramic coated. The paint was coated in Silk (a glass, SiO2) which offers the same protection as ceramic but is easier to maintain and debadged the rear.

It is currently in the service department (already :roll:) for the keys not registering to unlock, lock or start the vehicle. I had the battery replaced in the FOB but that didn't fix the problem. Apparently this is pretty common and the truck needs to be reprogrammed or something to that effect according to the case manager at the dealer.

My future "build" plans are as follows:

- Second set of wheels (20") for off road tires as the 21" wheels have very limited tire choices.
- Remove the exhaust resonators and change out the exhaust tips.
- Add an oil catch can.
- Paint the brake calipers Yellow.

On the maybe list:
- Wood accented steering wheel from England.
- Smaller pulley and tune
- Tow hitch

I do plan on actually using it off road. I probably wont do much rock crawling but medium difficulty (blue rated) trails are certainly fair game.

I look forward to getting to know every one through the forum. I also look forward to learning more about these awesome vehicles and hopefully contributing to the discussions as well.

Cheers! :dance:

·
Registered
85 Posts
She’s a beauty. I really like the color combo. And much better with the black wheels, imho, but I’m a sucker for black wheels. Enjoy her.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Looks great. Would you mind giving us a pricing break-down of the work that you did to the car? I'll be getting my 2018 RRS in a few months and wanted to do similar things including powdercoating the rims.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Congrats! I also just came from a Jeep (2 different ones) but this in not our first RRS. Its not an Autobiography but we also just picked up a '16 HSE with just about every option...:) Its only been a week but so far the Jeep has not been missed..;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the replies and kind words!

I am very much happier with this than the Grand Cherokee!

For the price breakdown:
- $1400 for the wheels powder coated at West Coast Specialties
- $1250 for the coatings and paint correction from F.S. Detail
- $100 for window tint from The Tint Source

This week I will be stopping by L&M Auto and Muffler to remove the resonators and add new exhaust tips. That is expected to only be $150. I am not looking for super loud and want to avoid a drone at speed but I do want to liven it up a bit.

Next weekend I am picking up a set of 20” OEM wheels off Craigslist that are also freshly powder coated for about $1000 and then will have them mounted with Nitto Terra Grappler G2 in 285/50R20’s. That will be my off road set up I will only swap on when going off road. I am hoping they will clear the calipers ok, my current wheels have a 49mm offset but the new ones off of a full size Range Rover have 58mm off set. The current tires are Michelin Latitude in 275/45R21.

The coatings are usually a hotly debated topic. For me, I trusted my detailer that the ceramics are more of a pain in the ass than they are worth on the paint. They work great for the plastics and my vehicle is the first he has done the undercarriage on. I requested it on the undercarriage because I wanted some protection without adding a lot of weight or paint that would change the way it looks. We shall see how it wears. The Silk from Auto Pro offers very similar protection as the ceramic but is much less expensive and easier to maintain.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
45 Posts
Could you post a before/after video of the exhaust sound after you remove the resonators? I'm curious about doing something similar on my truck. I'm not sure I want to commit to an entire aftermarket exhaust but I do want a bit more sound. In my previous car (E92 M3), there was an "OEM Exhaust Mod' that was popular on the forums that improved the sound with a little change to the stock exhaust. Something similar would be perfect.

Also, where are you getting new exhaust tips? I haven't seen any commercially available but I hate how small the stock tips are.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could you post a before/after video of the exhaust sound after you remove the resonators? I'm curious about doing something similar on my truck. I'm not sure I want to commit to an entire aftermarket exhaust but I do want a bit more sound. In my previous car (E92 M3), there was an "OEM Exhaust Mod' that was popular on the forums that improved the sound with a little change to the stock exhaust. Something similar would be perfect.

Also, where are you getting new exhaust tips? I haven't seen any commercially available but I hate how small the stock tips are.
I will take a before and after. Was quoted $180 to remove the front resonator and the two rear mufflers. Should liven it up a bit, and I am keeping the original parts in case I need to return it to stock. They are just getting replaced with straight pipes. The tips are a high quality generic that they had in their shop. It’s a 3.5” double walled angle tip. I didn’t want to modify the plastic diffuser at all...

Does anybody know what the largest size tire will fit on these? I wanted either Nitto Ridge Grapplers or Terra Grappler G2’s. I currently have the 21x9.5 with 49mm offset with latitude sport tires in 275/45R21... I am looking at a 20”x8.5 with 58mm offset from a 2013 full size autobiography. Then the tires are either going to be 285/50R20 or 275/55R20 but I think they may rub a bit. My concern is for brake clearance with the Brembo’s and the strut... it appears the rear tires are not an issue but the fronts may be.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The exhaust guy has been slammed and I haven’t been able to get off from work early enough to get it done. I do have new 4” tips ready to go though...

I did get the Johnson Rod lift and new tires done today. I got new OEM 20” wheels and new TPMS sensors. I ended up going with Nitto Terra Grappler G2’s in 275/55R20.

I kept all the original parts so I can easily return to stock. I am planning on off roading tomorrow and will post some photos when I get back.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How do you find the Nitto tyres with regards to noise, ride and economy?
I have only put a couple hundred miles on them with the Range Rover but I have put 35k miles on the same tire with another vehicle. I have not noticed any change in fuel economy over that time, I was averaging 15.8 before the swap and I am still averaging 15.8 (according to the dash). I chose these tires over the ridge grapplers because I will mostly be on road driving and they are a great all around tire. The tires have made the ride feel like it "floats" a bit more. The tire has a much larger sidewall than the tire I swapped with and that is slightly noticeable, not enough for me to take any issues with it. I was able to take twisty roads just as fast as I would on the sport tires and with the sport dynamic mode it still handles like a dream. I do notice a little more road noise but again not enough for it to be an issue for me. I can still hold a conversation easily, talk on the phone or listen to music without having to increase volume. I have had these tires before on other vehicles and always been happy with them. I wanted the larger sidewall for when I air down to off road and it will absorb more bumps in the road. I also appreciate that it is a true all season tire and great in the snow as well as decent on dry pavement and off road. I am very glad that I made the swap and wouldn't hesitate to make it again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gave up waiting on the exhaust guy I originally wanted to go with and ended up finding a better one. Sorry there is no before video but here is the after. It’s taken with my iPhone so it doesn’t really do it justice...

I ended up just doing the mufflers and not the resonator at all. Was worried the resonator would be too much and that was a great choice in my opinion. This turned out perfect for me! It’s not too loud or obnoxious. It crackles and pops perfectly (better in person than in the video). No louder at idle than it was stock but when you put your foot in it, then the burble really growls. I know it will make people not happy but really is on par with the SVR in my opinion from the test drives that I made, just ever so slightly increased volume. Easy $140 mod and can replace to return to stock...

Edit: the video is not uploading so here are some before/after photos...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts