RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, thank you again for helping me troubleshoot the trouble I had trying to drop the axle to fit the springs underneath. The bottle jack worked beautifully on the axle and articulating it off the frame.

800 miles in 1 WEEK driving up to Santa Barbara from Los Angeles. Then driving the heck out of the Rover up there driving up and down and back up and back down the Central Coast. Took the Rover on some of the back roads and up and down the beautiful hills/mountains. I was impressed with the trucks stability on 15mpg curves. The corning is the same if not better. The ride feels no different at highway speed or corning a heavy truck around the twist's. The truck handled nicely with the new coils.

What's more important is the worry free drive I had. I did not carry my air compressor with me and I did not have to manually pump up my air springs every morning, while going back and forth to try to level the truck manually if you have a MARS system you know exactly what I am talking about.

I am driving the Rover like I used to when the EAS worked without troubles or leaks for 110K miles. I don't have to think about it and I can just drive my truck. I drove a buddy's Rover with a coil conversion to see what the big deal about changing over to coils was about before I did mine. No difference just like in his Rover my Rover drives just as nice.

Man, it feels GREAT to just be able to hop in the Rover every morning and just drive my truck like I used to. I am so giddy now and appreciate my Rover again. :thumb: :clap: :dance:

·
Registered
59 Posts
That was my feeling 3 yrs ago!! dont feel the difference either. :D
I wonder what kind of shocks did u buy....Im very happy with the Bilstein shocks! good luck with yours buddy!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
73 Posts
I know that a lot of folks say that coiling a P38 is 'castrating it' but hey do what you like, its your truck. I put OME heavy duty springs all the way around on my P38 and its great except the OEM shocks are too short in the back, the HD springs sit taller in the rear so that the vehicle is level when loaded down, so when I would go over bumps the shocks are almost totally extended and go bang and they max out. I talked to someone over at Doetsch and they recommended the Baja shocks, they said that they have the increased travel and will work great on a P38 with even extended height/HD springs (even though the P38 wasn't listed on their website). Here's the link if anyone is curios http://www.doetsch-shocks.com/3a.asp

I definitely experienced the constant battle with keeping things level with the MARS system as well, but a great system in a pinch that's for sure.
Glad to see that you are happy with your truck again after coiling it, in the end that is the most important thing!

Happy Rovering. :thumb:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm curious as to what brand of springs you went with, and is there a difference in ride height from the EAS standard ride height?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts