• Range Rover Evoque

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jaguar XF

• Jaguar XJ

• Audi Q5 or Q7

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other Brand/Model (Comment/Post which one!)

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all;

I'm Noah, and I'm new here.
I am driving very soon, and have about $20k to spend on a car. There is no doubt it is going to be some sort of Land Rover/Jaguar, but I just don't know which one is perfect for me! Gas prices/mileage isn't an issue for me. I love the big-boy Range Rovers, but I also love the Sport. An Evoque is out of the picture, too small. I would want a big Range Rover because it is very roomy and I ski and play lacrosse, but the Sport is very nimble, which I like. We have a 2013 Range Rover Supercharged, which is my mother's. I would probably have a L322 (2002-2012) if I get a proper Range Rover. We have second car to fit more people (when going to the lake, picking family up, daily errands, better on gas, smaller, etc.) which is a 2008 Sport. I love Jaguars, don't get me wrong (My stepdad has an XJ), but they are just too small for what I need. I have also been looking at Audi Q7 SUV's, but I've heard many things about Audi reliability. Our A5 has been pretty okay, we bought it used, and haven't had any major issues other than having to replace the front brake pads AND calipers because my mother puts too much pressure on the brakes (she's the type of person who puts her foot down when the light turns green, goes about 90MPH on the highway, and then when there's a red light, she slows down a bit, then slams on the brakes at the last minute; I feel bad for her Range Rover!). I have looked at Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, Infiniti, etc., but I want to stay in our comfort zone; Audi and Jaguar/Land Rover.

My must have list of features is:
  • Navigation
  • Bluetooth or Aux
  • Heated Front Seats
  • Sunroof/Moonroof
  • Large boot area
  • Some sort of Dynamic or Sport mode
  • Paddle Shifters or Manual Shifting mode via gear lever/knob
Thank you for reading my stupid, long, run on post. I'm open to any suggestions!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
You post in a Range Rover forum, about which vehicle to buy?:lol:
Didn't you already answer your own question regards interior room etc? Sounds like a full size Rover is the one you want.....
$20k will get you into a later L322 with the Jag engine, and loaded with the options you want.
I know people with the later LR's, and they have been trouble free AFAIK.
The sport I dont like myself, too much plastic inside. Personal opinion so Sport owners dont get offended please!
XJ/XF's I like, but they wont fit your needs
Know nothing of the Audi's, but must admit to looking at them a few times over the years as the wife loves the later style 6 and 8 sedans.
I'd get the later L322 and go driving......lol

Martin

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,986 Posts
$20k can buy a 2000 L322 but since it's a used vehicle with high miles you might end up replacing parts that may cost you the same amount. Save up to $40k and buy a later L322 with decent miles or just start with other alternatives.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
$20k can buy a 2000 L322
Where? Not out over here until 2003;-)
$20k should get you into a 2008 with some coin left over for jobs....

Martin

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1,482 Posts
You post in a Range Rover forum, about which vehicle to buy?:lol:
Didn't you already answer your own question regards interior room etc? Sounds like a full size Rover is the one you want.....
$20k will get you into a later L322 with the Jag engine, and loaded with the options you want.
I know people with the later LR's, and they have been trouble free AFAIK.
The sport I dont like myself, too much plastic inside. Personal opinion so Sport owners dont get offended please!
XJ/XF's I like, but they wont fit your needs
Know nothing of the Audi's, but must admit to looking at them a few times over the years as the wife loves the later style 6 and 8 sedans.
I'd get the later L322 and go driving......lol

Martin
x2 on what Martin said. RRS also seems too narrow compared to the RR.

·
Registered
726 Posts
My daughter will be buying her 1st car next year. She has a bunch of ideas about what she "needs" and although I don't shut her down, I have to privately laugh at some of her requirements. Despite the fact that she is intelligent and sensible, she has no idea what her needs really are b/c up to this point she has been chauffeured everywhere she needs to go.

For a young person I think the key needs are: reliability, low cost of ownership (fuel, maint, insurance), durability, safety, adaptability to a wide variety of uses.

Paddle shifters, luxury badge, wool carpets, speed-rated lo-profile tires, and the like are not needs. They are desires and gimmicks that feed our whims. Over time these features just make a vehicle needlessly complex and more expensive to repair.

If you were my son, I would try to put you in a used Mazda CX5 or CX9 or maybe a Cherokee or Explorer as your first car.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Keep in mind, the OP is FOURTEEN years old, or should that be 14 years young?
Not sure if he got himself grounded, or forgot about posting here too.....

Martin

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1,482 Posts
My daughter will be buying her 1st car next year. She has a bunch of ideas about what she "needs" and although I don't shut her down, I have to privately laugh at some of her requirements. Despite the fact that she is intelligent and sensible, she has no idea what her needs really are b/c up to this point she has been chauffeured everywhere she needs to go.

For a young person I think the key needs are: reliability, low cost of ownership (fuel, maint, insurance), durability, safety, adaptability to a wide variety of uses.

Paddle shifters, luxury badge, wool carpets, speed-rated lo-profile tires, and the like are not needs. They are desires and gimmicks that feed our whims. Over time these features just make a vehicle needlessly complex and more expensive to repair.

If you were my son, I would try to put you in a used Mazda CX5 or CX9 or maybe a Cherokee or Explorer as your first car.
You make excellent points. However, I routinely see high school age kids (mostly girls) driving L322s and even L405s. There are even a few driving really nice Defender 90s. I doubt any of them actually work on their vehicles.

As a Rover fanatic myself, I would be happy if my kid wanted a Rover, but I'd make sure that they learned to wrench. If they weren't willing to wrench, then they'd be relegated to a safe, utilitarian vehicle.

To the OP, if you're not willing to learn to work on your vehicle, you should probably stay away from a used Range Rover...

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
As a parent the best way to get a teenager a car, is to try to time it, so that you can pass down your older car to them and get yourself a new one. It worked out for us and the teen gets to drive my previous car, a 2010 MDX, and I got a new 2015 RR. The MDX is perfect for a teen, enough power, but not too much, high safety rating, very reliable, and a good size to provide protection against the huge SUVs and pick up trucks on the roads. It will get driven by child #2 as well, but he still has a few years to go before getting his permit.

·
Registered
726 Posts
As a parent the best way to get a teenager a car, is to try to time it, so that you can pass down your older car to them and get yourself a new one.
That is a good strategy. We thought about going this route too but then decided that the kids needed 'skin' in the game. We have an agreement with our kids that we will match their money up to a certain dollar so they can buy their own vehicle. They also know that they need to pay maintenance, buy fuel, and we are still on the fence about adding them to our insurance policy. We want to underscore the fact that affluence isn't free.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
That is a good strategy. We thought about going this route too but then decided that the kids needed 'skin' in the game. We have an agreement with our kids that we will match their money up to a certain dollar so they can buy their own vehicle. They also know that they need to pay maintenance, buy fuel, and we are still on the fence about adding them to our insurance policy. We want to underscore the fact that affluence isn't free.
Having the kids appreciate affluence and the hard work that went into getting there, is hard, but my parents gave me my first car, my mother's 4 year old Mustang, and she got a new one for herself. While I was in college they paid for insurance and maintenance. I had a part time job to pay for gas and my spending money. I turned out ok and appreciated the headstart in life that they provided for me. I am always pointing out to my kids that their life isn't normal and that they will have to do well in college and work hard to even achieve 1/4 of what their parents have. No rose colored glasses for them!

If they are dependents and still live in your house, you might still be on the hook for insurance. I'm sure the insurance rates in NJ for a teen will not be pretty!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,986 Posts
I bought my daughter a new GLK350 4matic for her senior year in highschool. Now that she's in her dorm as freshman in college she has no use for it at the moment and I use it for work. It's a well built vehicle. I checked my insurance since she is a teenage driver and the insurance used my 2003 Honda Pilot to estimate her coverage. Perfect!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts