Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the thing ... I have on my 04 v8 had this problem on and off but never have managed to get to the bottom of the fault as it is comes and goes but now is rather dangerous..
When in drive the vehicle drops out of gear and the dash tells me to select N whilst the H/L range is flashing so I select N try to change the H/L range but nothing happens ? I switch car off on but this is no help, after I put the car back in N and push it for around 10 feet I try the gears and hey ho they are back working some times it's ok for months some times days but now it's dropping out of gear on me every time I drive it? Any one have any idea as to what is going on I have had a look under the car but all seems OK. I have had a new H/L range motor fitted but I don't think the guys calibrated it when they did the work not a LR dealer as not one here where I am at the mo.. Would the none calibration be causing this fault as it is as though the car keeps trying to go into Tow mode.

Any help very much appreciated ... I have read a few items on the l322 gear box on this forum so maybe Phill could shed some light onto this problem ....

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for this reply Phil, it seems you are the person in the Know when it comes to these sorts of problems. I shall try this tomorrow as it's 18-30 here and dark and as I am in Sudan don't fancy breaking down at night on these sand roads. I shall report back once I've tried it.

cheers
Chris,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Phil,

I followed your calibration procedure and she didn't drop out of gear whilst doing so but kept telling me to slow down when trying to change into low range around 3mph is that right ?, I however couldn't get her up to any speed due to traffic (nightmare) once I had completed 3 cycles of low range high range. I shall take her out for a longer drive later today to see how she behaves with a friend following in his P38 but fingers crossed all will be OK... Out of interest why this way of calibration and not using auto logic also why would this make my car drop out of gear ? I really hope that this will sort out the problem once and for all as it is a tad worrying when you have kids in the back. I shall revert once tested more. many thanks Phil for your advise :clap:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,436 Posts
Hi Chris,

You should be able to shift from High to Low Range at any speed up to 10mph (16km/h), and from Low to High at speeds up to 30mph (48km/h), without getting the ‘SLOW DOWN’ message. Incidentally, if you’re travelling below 2mph the speed sensors won’t be able to resolve such a slow speed so the ECU will assume that you’re stationary so you’ll have to apply the brake to get the gear selector lever to move out of ‘N’ and back into ‘D’. So are you getting the warning at speeds below 10mph?

As you don’t have a LR dealership where you are at the moment I knew you wouldn’t have access to Testbook/T4 to perform the shift motor recalibration procedure but it would be interesting to know if Autologic has this capability if you have access to it through your LR independent. I have a Faultmate MSV-2 but unfortunately this kit can’t perform the transfer box shift motor calibration (I specifically queried this with Blackbox Solutions to check) so I’ll be stuck with the ‘manual’ method.

Phil

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RRPhil said:
Hi Chris,

You should be able to shift from High to Low Range at any speed up to 10mph (16km/h), and from Low to High at speeds up to 30mph (48km/h), without getting the ‘SLOW DOWN’ message. Incidentally, if you’re travelling below 2mph the speed sensors won’t be able to resolve such a slow speed so the ECU will assume that you’re stationary so you’ll have to apply the brake to get the gear selector lever to move out of ‘N’ and back into ‘D’. So are you getting the warning at speeds below 10mph?

As you don’t have a LR dealership where you are at the moment I knew you wouldn’t have access to Testbook/T4 to perform the shift motor recalibration procedure but it would be interesting to know if Autologic has this capability if you have access to it through your LR independent. I have a Faultmate MSV-2 but unfortunately this kit can’t perform the transfer box shift motor calibration (I specifically queried this with Blackbox Solutions to check) so I’ll be stuck with the ‘manual’ method.

Phil
Hi Phil,

Sorry for the delay ---

So I have taken her out for a test drive and all seems ok except she is getting up to 3000rpm to change gear on occasion, also she seems rather gutless now i.e no being pushed into your seat when you put your foot down.
fingers crossed she doesn't drop out of gear again on me. for your info yes you can recalibrate the high low motor on Autologic it looks a good piece of kit to have but I think a bit pricey for my needs .

One other Question is when in D should you be able to push the gear selector into Neutral without pressing the selector button and visa versa when in N should you be able to just push the selector to D ?

Once again many thanks for the advise.... Genius ....., :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear Phil,

Thank you very much for your idea of resetting the whole thing. Worked like a charm for me.

I was traveling from Portugal to Switzerland on my 2003 SE Td6 Range Rover and everything went fine. I stopped at Bordeaux to sleep through the night (9 hours of driving) and got back driving the next day from Bordeaux to Baar (another 9 hours). The car was fine during the entire trip.

The after my arrival I did notice that as soon as I turned the engine on (not the key on the ignition), the Low Gear light was blinking on the dashboard. I turned the car off and on again.
I drove to work and everything was normal. When I got back from work to have some lunch, that's when it started playing games: I could hear the chyme and the message: "Transferbox Neutral" followed by "High gear". I got so scared that I took the car to my dealer. They took a drive in it, they didn't hear anything strange in the car so they said they would look into it. But I would have to wait 4 days for an appointment. I booked the appointment and went back home.

When I got home, I did some research on the internet and came across your post. What I think that happened (please correct me if I'm wrong) was that I had a very sudden change of temperature: I went from 10º C to -4ºC in a space of about 20 minutes. As soon as I approached France's east half temperature started dropping dramatically. On top of that, I had the heating on most of the time and half of that time the AC was on. I read somewhere (maybe it was even from you) that this can create condensation and make the sensor go bananas.

Where I am it's quite cold, -4ºC is quite an usual temperature this time of the year.

Anyway... I hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
6 Posts
Hi Phil, been following all threads concerning TD6 autobox and transfer box issues over past couple of months. At 112,000miles I had to have box/ torque convertor replaced when slipping became more and more frequent. Now, 3000miles later it looks like transfer box is about to become problematic, with 'Transfer Box Neutral' appearing on dash over the past week. I did a recalibrate according to your post, will have to see now whether this fixes it. Question though, is the potentiometer available seperately? If so, where? TD6 and V8 interchangeable? Many thanks, GlynW (wish there was TD6 version of you...)

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,436 Posts
Hi Glyn

The NV225 transfer case used in the both the TD6 & the BMW V8 models is identical, it’s just that the diesel has an additional damping weight bolted onto the casing, near to the front propshaft drive flange :

The shift motor is therefore identical on each.

I still haven’t come across a source for the rotary potentiometers I'm afraid

If anyone finds one – please shout! Land Rover have obviously decided that they can make quite a bit of money out of this and are currently charging around £1500 for the shift motor assembly (IGH500010).

I notice there’s currently a brand new one on eBay as a ‘Buy it now’ for £400, by the way.

Phil

1 - 10 of 10 Posts