Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although it has been a very tough year for Blackbox Solutions, with major Power problems caused by our governments incompetence and our relocation to new custom designed premises, and so things may have seemed a bit quiet from us.
Nonetheless, we have been very busy and recently a couple of developments that i imagine may be of some interest to readers of this forum are being announced that i thought you might like to hear about.

The first involves the Nanocom, which for those who do not know, was a low cost competitive product to our own for Defender and Discovery II that i took over a year ago.
As well as sorting out it's problems via several software updates, i also re designed the hardware of the latest Nanocom Evolution with it's small full color touch screen into something very small and sexy.

However i have also just expanded it's ability to include full coverage of all systems on the the P38 Range Rover.

Here is a few links to short and very basic demo videos of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRG9aPJ1j4U&list=UUwsWXJr_piaJD9UKSVMXiIQ&index=4&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h5_CXHfkpQ&list=UUwsWXJr_piaJD9UKSVMXiIQ&index=3&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx1Ok1VZgLo&list=UUwsWXJr_piaJD9UKSVMXiIQ&index=2&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpWbt6WU7EI&list=UUwsWXJr_piaJD9UKSVMXiIQ&index=1&feature=plcp

The second Development is related to only CAN BUS vehicles from 2005 on.
It's called Project Genesis, due to it's being such a whole new concept and in fact we have been developing this for nearly 3 years now and first demoed it to a select few 18 months ago at the Billing show in the UK in July 2010.

With Genesis, someone simply takes the very low cost VCI2 lead that we actually already supply with the MSV-2 and FCR (about 80 GBP) and plugs it directly into a PC, although a cheap 9 to 15 pin adapter or USB to serial adapter may be required. You then run a small Java app, we freely supply, that connects the vehicles CAN BUS to the Genesis web site via a secure tunnel.

Then anyone approved to do so, can log into the Genesis site using any web browser on any PC, Iphone, Ipad, Android, mac or whatever, and connect to your vehicle and with respective licensing can then perform any diagnostic act, including enabling features and re flashing ECU's etc.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That looks sweet!! you still don´t state in your web site the P38 version, but can i assume it´s the same price as the TD5 one?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Moreirinha, it is indeed a very nice bit of kit that we are certainly quite proud of.

The new P38 coverage was only added on the BBS V1.04 firmware for the Nanocom Evolution released on Dec 23rd 2011 and although we have done extensive testing, we are still going to be conducting a few weeks of Beta Testing it in the field before adding it to our web sites shop.

When added, we will be following the existing Nanocom Evolution licensing in adding to the existing Motronic, the GEMS and EDC Engine managements for approx 40 GBP each.

The remaining eleven P38 systems of the 3 possible types of Airbag system, 2 possible types of ABS system, 2 possible types of Automatic Gearbox ECU, Electronic Air Suspension, Hevac, Body Control (BeCM) and Cruise control will be under one license which will cost approx 80 GBP, which is due to the number and complexity.

So a kit for any P38 will only cost about 40 GBP more than one for a Disco II or Defender etc, effectively around the 300 GBP area and of course the other EMS's ECU's can be added if desired. And of course this system is not SV and so is not locked to VIN.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers benji

Given that it is such a neat all in one solution that provides full capability on the P38 as per our well renowned MSV-2 system, but at a fraction of the cost, there is quite naturally a rapidly growing demand for this, and as such we will be making it available for purchase no later than the end of the second or third week of January 2012.
I won't promise it will be as super smooth and slick as BBS equipment is renowned for by then, as there are a lot of systems and capability included, but we can sure iron out any last remaining wrinkles in later free software updates :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hiya John.

Thanks for your comment of support :thumb:

As you can see from the Videos, especially the start of the first one, it is really small and portable.
Here is a picture someone took of it compared to what it was before i re designed it.

Although i had stuck the one in the video to the dash with a big self adhesive Velcro pad to make videoing it easier, as you can see in the above picture, the top and bottom edges are rounded and ribbed to make holding it in one hand while operating it with the other quite easy and natural.

However, as you mention keeping it in the vehicle, i should tell you that the Defender and Disco owners of these like to mount it on their dash, and to aid in this, as you can also see in the above picture, we have designed in a wider and deeper center groove to the top and bottom that allows flexibility for clips and brackets to be used like this picture of someone using a Sat Nav holder shows.

The reason they do this is primarily because it also has another trick up its sleeve in the form of Instrument mode.
You can enter Instrument mode from the diagnostic menu or, via the settings page for the unit which also allows setting of units etc, you can configure the unit to start up in Instrument mode from power on.
The instrument mode gives a nice big digital display of some useful real time engine parameters.

It also has a user settable temperature monitor with Audible Alarm feature.

These additional niceties have not yet been added for the P38, but that's just a formality that gives us something more to do. :dance:

As well as the Mini USB, used for upgrading with the supplied cable, you might also notice the SD card in the last picture. This is used for saving fault listings and live data captures etc. You can either pull it out and put it in your PC, or access it via the USB connection.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hi Colin...great start for 2012! Does the Nanocom version for the P38 Motronic address the engine mapping or is it a replication of the eminently useable features available on the trusty MSV?
best wishes
Hoges

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We do not currently have a US distributor supryze but we do supply all our products worldwide.

Hiya Hoges,
Thanks, :)

No i am afraid it does not address Motronic engine mapping and replicates the same features of the MSV-2.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well actually my calculations currently put it at 327 GBP with the existing exchange rate, slightly cheaper shipping option and Bank Transfer payment.

But we do still offer an established forum member discount of 10% on this board for which i note you qualify afox04

http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/downloads/terms_&_conditions/rangeroversnet.pdf

The end result being below 300 GBP for those that qualify.

This gets you the new Nanocom Evolution 2 unit itself, a USB to PC connectivity lead for upgrading it etc, the requisite OBDII lead, which is fully molded both ends and two unlock codes to enable full non VIN locked coverage of your chosen Engine Management system and full non VIN Locked coverage of every other system fitted on any year or model of P38. Of course this can be cheaply expanded by adding the other two Engine Management Possibilities to make a full any P38, any system solution.

The functionality and capability in each and every system is exactly as per our well renowned and respected MSV-2 system, which is well known for going well beyond what TestBook/ T4 provides with the sole exceptions of Motronic ECU Re flashing and direct fob code changing, which only requires us to do a translation to be achieved anyway.

The code for the P38 Systems and all the functions and capability on the Nanocom Evolution was of course derived from that of the MSV-2, which has long since been tried, tested and tweaked to perfection, meaning that mostly things will be right from the start, however it is possible that odd things may have been lost in translation or may not work exactly as they should on the new platform and although we have done extensive testing and are employing Beta testers to help identify anything that may need further tweaking, we honestly cannot yet guarantee you won't find the odd problem in the more obscure functions that we would be more than happy to hear about as we are very motivated to get this absolutely 100% right in the shortest possible time.

But ultimately this really is an awful lot of capability and coverage for the money in such a desirable hardware form, and so is the system so many P38 owners have probably dreamed of having available to them.

Due to demand, we expect to introduce this on our web shop before the end of this week.

·
Registered
931 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hiya John
Normally i would decline to change the terms for fairly obvious reasons, but I am fairly flexible and understanding and so always open to individual negotiation :)

In your case, as this is such a new development, not even being generally available until probably the beginning of the last week of January 2012, and you have already had a P38 Licensed MSV-2 for some time, I would certainly appreciate having your existing knowledge and expertise from the Beta test stage to try it out, as i am sure you would help us find any possible remaining bugs etc much quicker.

So i will drop you a PM

PS, i think it is Red because it is a link

·
Registered
24 Posts
Colin

Could you just confirm something for me? Will the unti do the same job as your sync mate aswell? will hopefully be putting in an order in the next couple of months when i finally get the einge back in my p38 dse.

Cheers
Joe

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
Unfortunately Colin/BBS is no longer a vendor on this site and will no longer be posting product info. I would suggest contacting the BBS customer service department.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
86 Posts
Thats a pity I was very interested in the Nanocom

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
He has a very detailed web site as well as his own customer service department that should be able to answer any questions you have.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Unfortunately Colin/BBS is no longer a vendor on this site and will no longer be posting product info.
Why is he no longer a vender??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.