RangeRovers.net Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,215 Posts
It's 4 bolts and two pipes to fit an AC compressor so all you need do is ask someone to bolt it on. The only warranty you would expect is if it falls off, then they didn't do the job correctly, if it doesn't work, then that's your problem. If the compressor was missing, then you can't fill it up with Freon, it will fall out of the two pipes that should be connected to the compressor. Also, if the compressor was missing, unless they'd fitted a drive belt from a car without AC, it wouldn't be turning the water pump so it will overheat.

Buying a complex, 20 year old, imported, luxury car without the knowledge or skill to maintain it yourself, or even have an idea of how it should work, is not a particularly bright thing to do. You are confusing the AC system with the cooling system. The AC system is a sealed, highly pressurised system that is filled with Freon, a refrigerant, and is there to give you cold air out of the vents. The cooling system is the radiator, water pump and various other bits that keep the engine from overheating but the two are totally separate. When you were sent photos of the Freon being filled, did you understand what was being done and recognise the bits that the photo showed? If the AC compressor was missing, fitting a replacement, possibly replacing the dryer unit and filling it with Freon (or R134a to be strictly accurate) is all that would be needed to get the AC working assuming there aren't any leaks in any of the other parts of the system, but just fitting the compressor isn't going to magically make it start working.

Reactions: Klondike ken

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Richard, I am repeating to you word for word, what the 4 different mechanics here on Oahu explained to me when the car was towed to their shops.
Regardless of my knowledge or experience with this or any other vehicle. The Bill of Sale and the laws surrounding the sale of a vehicle are very specific.
Showing me a photo of one thing and then receiving another is the definition of fraud. Not my definition, it the legal systems definition.

You may spin it and point fingers and cast blame all day, but the truth is still the truth. You don't sell someone something, describe that something in detail, ship that thing, then contact the buyer and say, Sorry but I could not complete your order so you will have to do it on your own.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Richard, If the repair is as simple as you are suggesting, then why did Union Jack 4x4 not just make the repair before shipping the car?

·
Super Moderator
2,215 Posts
Richard, If the repair is as simple as you are suggesting, then why did Union Jack 4x4 not just make the repair before shipping the car?
I'm not saying that you haven't been ripped off by them and can't tell you why they didn't do it. Maybe they needed a compressor for another car so took the one off yours to fit to someone else's? Who knows? But, below is the page from the workshop manual that shows just how simple a job it is so I have no idea why any of the 4 mechanics you've spoken to have not wanted to do it. they either have too much work or are simply too lazy to bother with a job that is, at best only going to reward them with an hours labour charge.

I've mentioned it previously in this thread but I've been importing cars from the US for 10 years and, of the 30 or so cars that I've bought, not one of them has matched the description. Every single one has had faults or parts missing but when you are shipping a car out of the country, they know that the customer is unlikely to turn up on their doorstep to make a fuss. One was described as in 'sound mechanical condition' so you would think it would be possible to start the engine and drive it? Not when the clutch, brakes, cooling system and engine electrics were even connected. It was a pile of bits that had been thrown together so it looked complete in the photos.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Maybe if the seller explained that to me. Instead he said nothing at all until my final payment was made and the vehicle was on a boat, so there was nothing that could be done at that time.

The very same thing he did with the registration. This vehicle was registered in my name at his shops address. Without informing me of this at all. Just to be clear, I have never lived in California ever. I have even been to the state, but instead of speaking to me and discussing it, he went ahead and forged my name on documents then passed them to the DMV.

Those are (2) examples of the numerous things that went wrong with this vehicle sale, but just like you said, I was ripped off.

Who is to say that he did not know bout the fuel pump, the radiator, the alternator and whatever other things were wrong with this vehicle that was haphazardly put together, and he just did not communicate those things either.

In the end Richard, going round and ripping people off is something that you cannot do for very long before you get caught and the longer you do it the more and more brazen you become. So without saying much more about, this man will have to come to court here in Hawaii and explain to a judge why he did the things that he did.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Richard, after re-reading your post it is worth noting, we not out of the country here. Hawaii is still part of the US and in fact cars come back and forth from California to Hawaii all the time. Just not for the overcharged rate of $1800, more like $1000 for shipping from here to LA.
To the address the second part of your post, I did discuss at length the condition of the vehicle. I even advised that he could keep the car longer to fix anything and everything that needed to be fixed and that I would pay for it. I did so knowing that the service for a Land Rover here in Hawaii is difficult and extremely expensive. So all the questions were asked before the sale and during the repairs to make ready the car for shipping.
It is only fair and reasonable to expect the vehicle to run for a short while after a master land rover mechanic shop fully rebuilt the engine. Do you not agree? It is NOT fair NOR reasonable to expect the vehicle to roll off the ship and break down needing thousands of dollars in repairs. Is it?

Somehow this has been turned on its side to make is seem like I am the one responsible, that I somehow made the the vehicle into this pile of garbage. Just to be clear, I did not do anything but communicate clearly with the seller and often. What the seller communicated was purposefully obfuscated to allow the fraud to happen.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
216 Posts
Hi David

There's little point berating expert members of this forum who are only trying to help; if you ever get the car sorted, you will need us.

This thread is 7 months old. Is the issue still unresolved?

Tom

·
Registered
457 Posts
And are you suing the seller ; o)

·
Registered
38 Posts
7 months later and you have yet to take legal action against the seller or fix the car?

Ranting on a car forum won't resolve your issue i'm afraid.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Yes there is a civil lawsuit against the used car dealership. There has been for quite some time now. I can’t say much more because I know that he is active on these forums but when all is said and done. I will come back and unravel the ball of twisted-ness for you guys. Some of which have been trying to help me from the start, which I do appreciate.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,219 Posts
Are you able to take some pictures of under the bonnet and various bits around the engine for us to see? Reading through bits of this, it seems like it's somewhat confusing about what has/has not been done, or what is/isn't there.

If you can chuck a few pictures up on the thread of what you actually have under the bonnet, then it will be easier for us to give you some more accurate advice, based on what we can/can't see, rather that some of the guesswork that appears to have been happening.

I'm not going to get into the politics of it, but I hope you get a satisfactory resolution with the seller, even if it does have to go through court for you to get it.

The good news... chances are that with a few parts, and a bit of work it can be sorted out and running happily for you soon. If you can't get any of the mechanics where you are to take a look, then I am sure with a fairly basic set of tools and the advice from forums, you would be able to do most of the repairs yourself, and then just need the mechanics to do things like recharge the AC system, once the parts are in place and the vehicle runs.

Best of luck with it - post up some pics and hopefully we can give some more direct advice based on what you actually have in front of you!

Cheers,
Marty

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Morning Marty,

I apologize but the vehicle was Sold for $800 in December to mitigate some of the nearly $9000 we put out for the car and related.
Many people on this forum and others did try to help over the month or so of my trying to get it working. For that I am very grateful.
David

·
Super Moderator
2,215 Posts
So why were you asking for advice about it 6 days ago if you no longer have it?

Reactions: Klondike ken

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I have not asked for advice. I was responding to a question, Do we know what happened to this car?

·
Super Moderator
2,215 Posts
Thread Closed

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.