RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, finding a replacement battery was kind of a joke. I thought I could find a Duralast with the same specs, but no. I did not want to go the AGM/Optima/Odyssey route, so I decided to stick with the OEM Interstate after reading through some posts here. A 950CCA is a pretty beefy battery... The original battery had never been replaced on a 2001 P38, that's 9 years!

Anyhow, there was an Interstate regional supply office within 10 miles of me, so I went directly there and picked up a fresh Interstate 31P-MHD battery with date of May 2010, nice...

The problem is this... The connections are pretty loose. I can't get the terminals tight with my socket set. Is there an easy way to hold the cables in place while ratcheting down the terminal nuts so they are tight and won't pull the cables? I don't want to risk stretching the cables as I try to get them tighter. :think:

It won't start 50% of the time unless I swivel the cables a bit. My other option is to buy new battery cables or terminal connections. Any help is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
mine was the same way. I took off the terminals from the battery, smashed them down a bit with a hammer, then put them back on and tightened them down. Is it the 'right way'. No. But it's held for a few years now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A few questions...

kmagnuss said:
mine was the same way. I took off the terminals from the battery, smashed them down a bit with a hammer, then put them back on and tightened them down. Is it the 'right way'. No. But it's held for a few years now.
Did you do this to make the round piece that goes over the terminal smaller to start with?

keithdixon said:
I would replace the terminals on your cable.
Any bad connection is going to give you grief.
How easy is it to replace just the terminals on the wiring?

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
mellowyellow said:
A few questions...

kmagnuss said:
Did you do this to make the round piece that goes over the terminal smaller to start with?

yes. Then I had to pretty much jam it on. Or you could do like I did on my last car and wedge a penny in there. Surprisingly, that worked too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an idea. Do they make shims/sleeves that go onto the battery posts? I think if I just insert these over the posts, then attach the and tighten the positive and negative cables... Brilliant! I just looked online and they do appear to exist. I will head to the parts store at lunch and see what they have...

·
Registered
453 Posts
mellowyellow said:
keithdixon said:
I would replace the terminals on your cable.
Any bad connection is going to give you grief.
How easy is it to replace just the terminals on the wiring?
I replaced a number of wires with heavier gauge wire:-

i bought the wire and the terminals,
Cut to length (to match existing)
Soldered the ends
Heat shrink to cover the cable to terminal.
Refit.
Easy.

If taken to a garage just to solder they aren't going to change much.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
I just put new cables on ours when I installed the Optima as the old ones were a little short. They are cheap enough to not mess with IMHO, especially considering the RR's sensitivity to voltage issues.
The old ones looked a little blah anyways, so it didn't break my heart to replace them.

Martin

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The "top hat" fix worked well on the positive terminal, but the negative terminal connector is hosed, so I need to replace it. The negative connection is still quite loose.

I am sorry I am not in town and don't have the RAVE with me, should I replace just the post connector on the end by the battery, or the entire cable? My concern is that it won't be easy to remove the existing connector while maintaining the existing wire. If you just cut off the old one, there probably is not enough slack to attach a new one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts