RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get some new AT tires and replacing these Goodyear tires. I think I have read all the L495 and L405 threads on tires but still don't seem to have a strong takeaway. Many reviews are now dated and I know these tire companies keep upgrading their silica blends and tread patterns. I live in Northern VA and have a short but real winters so I need some snow performance. I hit the trails realistically once every other month for a day or so, outside of that its mostly around town and highway driving. I have seen many die hard supports of the KO2s with the note that there is some more road noise but overall great. Then some folks in RRS forums were really happy with the Cooper ATPs and Hankook ATMs and noted its better snow performance and highway performance but the last review I could find was early 16 before the newest K02s came out.

Curious what is peoples recommendations are. Looking at a 275/55/20 Tire.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I’m happy with the KO2’s but the ride is much stiffer even though there’s more sidewall. I keep the KO2’s for off-roading holidays only.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yea I have been considering just getting some offroad tires that I pay 100 bucks to mount and balance each time I want to go offroad but I do want a better tire for the snow too. Ideally not getting three sets of tires.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My logic was buy 5 new 20” wheels for $1000 and mount some tires full time. That way after 5 trips (100 on, 100 off) you’re break even, with the huge added bonus of not knicking your street wheels on rocks. It’s really nice to not care when I’m off-roading about the tire or wheel.

I did decide recently to add TPMS to my off-road setup so I could eliminate any warnings on screen. That’s an extra $400 or so.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i had a set of KO2s, then a set of toyo open country AT2, and now a second set of KO2.

the KO2 look great, but the road noise is worse than the toyos. the KO2 really look like they mean business, the toyo are just quietly competent.

performance-wise they seem similar for the mountain and desert roads i take them on... but i tend to avoid snow, so that may not be much help to you.

i'm really giving the KO2s a second chance to see if i end up with more sidewall damage like i did on the first set. it was probably noob operator error, but i'm not 100% certain... i certainly put the toyos through similar torture, but i had become more aware of rocks which might hit the sidewalls after the first set of KO2s.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Our whole life we've always kept studded tires on winter wheels (good wheels, smaller diameter, more sidewall), offroad tires on purpose wheels (strong, smaller diameter, more sidewall, no worries about scratches or damage). Living in the PNW it was nice for snow ski/board days, 4x4 days, and normal weather. Throw it on the lift, swap out the wheels, hit the road.

Since we live in Texas now it's really simple, OEM wheels and no others!

FWIW I've had great luck with BFG, Nitto, and Toyo A/Ts over the years (some with M/Ts). No recent experience though...sorry.

Highly recommend a second set of wheels though, even cheap steel wheels like I had on my Series w/ BFG M/Ts! I think I got those from Rovers North...but that was a long time ago now!

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
63 Posts
I've just jumped in to a KO2 setup on my L494 (post here) and I'm pretty pleased; I honestly haven't noticed a road noise increase, but I haven't exactly been above 70 on them yet often if at all (it's only been a few days), and have only put about 10-15mi highway on them (and ~30mi overall) so far.

Ride quality doesn't seem to have suffered either, or at least not at "light load" +2psi pressure, which is 36F/39R on the L494. I did try "full load" +2psi (39F/46R) and it was a little harsh, but there's rarely more than one passenger in the truck, so it was just a brief experiment at those pressures.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts