Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
My dealer is giving me a small discount for being a long time loyal customer.

·
Registered
2019 Range Rover Sport
177 Posts
Land Rover Bedford, NH ... 40% markup for all 22 & 23 order. I told them to go pound sand... I ordered from JLR North Haven CT when I stopped there after visiting family for t-day.

Reactions: flyersfan76

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
968 Posts
Land Rover Bedford, NH ... 40% markup for all 22 & 23 order. I told them to go pound sand... I ordered from JLR North Haven CT when I stopped there after visiting family for t-day.
I would have done the same.

I can't understand why, unless it is some sort of weird way of bragging, why people would be happy to pay over MSRP.

I ordered a Bronco in August and when we picked it up over the weekend the dealer said that I was lucky to be the last order the dealer wasn't charging $5k over MSRP. I told him that I wouldn't have bought it then.

Some of these dealers are going to see a short term gain long term loss as a result. None of the vehicles I bought or ordered this year have been over MSRP and that includes my business partner ordering a Vette.

Does anyone really need a vehicle that bad.

·
Registered
240 Posts
SF Bay Area where everyone is trying to add markup to everything and my sales guy said they're selling them at MSRP.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Central Jersey, placed an order last week, dealer said no markup but would take 10+ months and they wanted a 5k refundable deposit. They were also insistent on certain colors and features like the heated windshields.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Central Jersey, placed an order last week, dealer said no markup but would take 10+ months and they wanted a 5k refundable deposit. They were also insistent on certain colors and features like the heated windshields.
Interesting on the options requirements. Personally I have had a heated windshield on my Hummer and my previous RRS. My current RRS was ordered without by Land Rover Hunt Valley in Maryland and wish it had it. As for colors that is odd since all of the colors are nice except for 1 or 2 of them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the most ridiculous price quote I have ever seen, $50,000 over MSRP is the price for new customers!?!? Since I was a repeat customer it was only $20,000 for me lol.

I could understand if it was a Shelby Mustang or other rare sports car but not a RR. I bought my 2015 Range Rover from Niello Land Rover in Sacramento and got a fair price years ago. I work in the auto industry and was pretty surprised. I said I can’t justify paying over MSRP and passed on the offer

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Interesting on the options requirements. Personally I have had a heated windshield on my Hummer and my previous RRS. My current RRS was ordered without by Land Rover Hunt Valley in Maryland and wish it had it. As for colors that is odd since all of the colors are nice except for 1 or 2 of them.
I think they want to order somewhat standard configurations so that if the person who orders it steps back, it's not an issue for them to pass the vehicle on to someone else. This is somewhat of an established process for new generation initial orders, was the same with the L405. I imagine where Domefire lives 90% of the cars are ordered with heated windshield and in a handful of colors. Last thing they want is an oddball to sit on the lot while others are waiting 10 months.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
I had the most ridiculous price quote I have ever seen, $50,000 over MSRP is the price for new customers!?!? Since I was a repeat customer it was only $20,000 for me lol.

I could understand if it was a Shelby Mustang or other rare sports car but not a RR. I bought my 2015 Range Rover from Niello Land Rover in Sacramento and got a fair price year ago. I work in the auto industry and was pretty surprised. I said I can’t justify paying over MSRP and passed on the offer
That's what you get when you compete with the Kardashians, movie stars, NFL players and other celebs for the first few shipments.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
That's what you get when you compete with the Kardashians, movie stars, NFL players and other celebs for the first few shipments.
I guess it is a good thing that dealers from around the country will ship anywhere.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
yeah. When they launched the L405 and the L494 there was a strict "local dealer only" policy, one couldn't buy from anywhere else. It's great that they did away with that policy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any one have a dealership selling at msrp who will ship? Ive talked to a few that wont ship and best Ive found in socal is small ADM and about a year wait. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just making sure I read this correctly - They dealership is telling you how you MUST build the car you're paying for? Just wondering, why? If you don't want the heated windshield (because of the small wires in the glass) - they won't take your order? Is it because they think that if you back out of the deal come delivery time - they won't be able to sell it? Same reason if you ordered a vivid color - they won't be able to find another customer for it? I've never heard of a dealer demanding you adhere to their requirements if you're paying the dollars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just making sure I read this correctly - They dealership is telling you how you MUST build the car you're paying for? Just wondering, why? If you don't want the heated windshield (because of the small wires in the glass) - they won't take your order? Is it because they think that if you back out of the deal come delivery time - they won't be able to sell it? Same reason if you ordered a vivid color - they won't be able to find another customer for it? I've never heard of a dealer demanding you adhere to their requirements if you're paying the dollars.
That is exactly why they are requesting that. I work at a dealership and if it’s a weird build It may take longer to sell it (if you back out)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I asked the salesperson this today as I went with another friend who placed an order. He basically said that the dealer is cutting down on new car sales reps for 2022 and wants to focus solely on selling used cars because they generate ridiculously high margins. And with unusual options if people back out, then they'd have to put the car on display at the showroom. And the dealer won't sell new cars above MSRP because it "hurts their reputation". Its not that a new car won't sell but a person interested in buying a used Range Rover would also consider buying the new one instead since there is no markup on the new one. So instead of a 20%+ profit margin, the dealer get around a 5-7% on the new car and they see this as a loss situation.

The dealer also said that they aren't doing trade ins unless you give them the trade in today.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I asked the salesperson this today as I went with another friend who placed an order. He basically said that the dealer is cutting down on new car sales reps for 2022 and wants to focus solely on selling used cars because they generate ridiculously high margins. And with unusual options if people back out, then they'd have to put the car on display at the showroom. And the dealer won't sell new cars above MSRP because it "hurts their reputation". Its not that a new car won't sell but a person interested in buying a used Range Rover would also consider buying the new one instead since there is no markup on the new one. So instead of a 20%+ profit margin, the dealer get around a 5-7% on the new car and they see this as a loss situation.

The dealer also said that they aren't doing trade ins unless you give them the trade in today.
It;s a whole new world. Literally getting out of the new car business and going into the used car business.

I have "on order" (meaning the Land Rover Manhattan has my build since day 1 of the release) and asked me to provide my build as well as a credit card for the file. They have not yet charged my card. So I don't know what they are waiting for or when they will charge it for the "deposit". Have not yet determined if I will lease it or buy it. Depends on the finance rate.
My build is British Racing Green over Caraway Brown with Black Piano wood. A very British looking car - I won't be backing out but if someone else had this build and backed out - can't imagine it would be that difficult to sell.

Rolls Royce makes pink Phantoms after all....

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Tire

1 - 20 of 50 Posts