RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking on this forum the last couple months while debating which car to get. Considered the Volvo XC90, BMW 7 Series, Tesla S, and a couple others. Finally decided to get the RR Full Size SC and get the 2016 version. I received a discount of a couple thousand off MSRP and the dealer had the car in stock.

First impressions: it's a great SUV and lots of fun to drive. I didn't test drive a HSE so I can't compare vs the V6. The V8 sounds good and doesn't leave me wanting considering I'm coming from a Porsche 911 (seen in one of the pics!). This is my first white car and I really enjoy the color scheme. Interior is black with white trim. There are quite a few gadgets equipped (HUD, Lane Changing, Blind Spot, Speed Limit tracking, Wifi Hotspot, hands free tailgate open, etc.).

I've had a couple minor problems but hopefully the dealer can sort these out. Maybe some of you folks out there can give some insight?

1. On the first night I got the car, the LCD screen that displays the speedometer and RPM went blank for about 3 or 4 seconds while I was driving. It came back on and hasn't happened since. Anyone ever experience this?

2. The lane changing monitor doesn't seem to be vibrating the steering wheel. Did the dealer perhaps turn this function off by default? (I did go into the menu to turn this feature on.) It does turn the icon from green to red when I test it, but that tiny little icon is hardly noticeable.

3. The passenser side storage compartments has the upper and lower. When I press the upper it just clicks but doesn't pop open. Is it supposed to pop open the way the lower compartment drops down when I press the lower?

4. When using satellite radio, I go into the "playback" menu and press "Add this Song". But it always reports that this song cannot be added. Any thoughts on what I need to do to get this to work? Do I need to put in a memory card somewhere?

I'm also planning to get Opticoat and possibly get the front end wrapped with clearbra. Would love to hear people's opinion about:

a. Opticoat on Fuji White. Worth it? What should I expect? The detailer mentioned that even with Opticoat, I'll need to wash the car regularly to prevent scratches from dirt & buildup.

b. Wrapping the front with clearbra. The detailer would wrap the front first then put opticoat on.

Anyway, if anyone out there is also considering a similar vehicle, feel free to ask me any questions! This forum was very helpful when I was considering which car to get.

IMG_3120.jpg IMG_3082.jpg IMG_3123.jpg

·
Registered
275 Posts
I just had my Mariana and Barolo black trucks opticoated. Well, technically opticoat doesn't exist for consumers now. It's now called Optimum Gloss-Coat. This stuff really does what it says, it creates a 2 micron layer of 9H hardness clear cost over the top of your factory clear. I spent $100 for the product, and paid a detailer I trust $150 to apply it (per vehicle). It's a five step process. First you hand wash, then you clay, then you polish (we used menzerna super finish 4000), then you strip all polishes and waxes using an IPA, and then you apply the opticoat.

After he was done we had some product left (10cc is more then enough to do a full size RR) so I applied it to my wheels. It was dark and I didn't clean the wheels as well as I should of and a piece of lint got trapped under the opticoat. So I can see this stuff actually works. It can be buffed back off if you do end up doing what I did. Very impressed so far, and my buddy who has it on his Tesla is quite happy too.

I plan on putting some menzerna sealant over the top of it before winter, as you can apply sealants and waxes right over the top of it! If you have a black truck, I'd opticoat for sure. Fuji white, not really necessary, but if you can do it for under $300 all in I'd do it. For my last Fuji white I just polished it and used menzerna power lock sealant and the results were amazing. Dealer detailers are hit or miss. Sometimes you can find a shooting star, but usually quality detailers will get picked up by a quality detail shop in short order. This is a semi permanent product, so I wouldn't want just anyone doing it. If they don't do a good job polishing, any defects in the paint will be stuck under the opticoat for the next 2 years (unless you buff it back off).

Re: LDW. The steering wheel doesn't vibrate, the entire truck actually does. It feels like you've run off the road basically and are driving on those ripples. You do have to turn it on in the menu. Maybe yours is broken. Did you try setting sensitivity to high?

The lift gets should raise, yes. Your other problems i haven't experienced. I personally wouldn't clear bra, I don't think it looks good, and just isn't needed on a white truck anyways. If you drive off road frequently then it might be worth it.

Edit: since the top half of your truck is black, id say go for it. Also, the rear plastic C pillars are notorious for getting scratched and swirled during dealer handling. We were able to restore it using menzerna super finish 4000, and then opticoated over it. Many many RR's have that problem, I'll see one pass me and all I can see is the giant swirl marks. So you'll want to opticoat those pieces for sure.

I'd put some bright atlas side vents on it to complete the look. JLR Fort Meyers has the cheapest price I've found, $463 shipped. They look stunning on a white truck. Here is my old vs new RR SC.

Fuji white (after I polished and applied sealant, no opti):
image.jpg

Mariana black (hadn't been opticoated yet):
image.jpg
After opti:
image.jpg

After opticoat, cloudy day hood reflection:
image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
338 Posts
Congrats on your purchase!
Was the outside picture taken in the Charlotte/Concord NC area? Looks like a shopping center they have in the area near the mall. Lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congrats on the new car. I'm looking at an exact car to lease today and was wondering if you would want to share any of the financials? You mentioned a couple of thousand off MSRP? If lease deal, can you let us know lease details?

Thank you very much in advance.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Very nice, congratulations

1 - 6 of 6 Posts