RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 2013 Range Rover Sport HSE Luxury Owner fails in oversand

I was on Holiday for a month this year on the island of Nantucket, MA. I visit annually.

Whilst watching a sailboat race (Figawi, 400+ sailboats sail into Nantucket Harbor from Hyannis, MA) from a 6 mile long beach barrier, known as Coatue, 30 minutes into the race a poor guy in his brand new 2013 Range Rover Sport HSE Luxury was oversand to the most distant point of the beach barrier and got DEEPLY stuck nearly up to the chassis as he was approaching the end of Coatue, Coatue Point, where the sand is the absolute softest. He got stuck about 500 ft. from the point from, behind me where my P38 was parked, so I more or less in combination with other vehicles and people obstructing his view of the race. (they could have gotten out of the Rover to spectate but they just sat in it the entire time)

Shortly after, the race concluded. I went over to offer some help/advice and ask what went wrong, which was rudely denied as him and his girlfriend ended up calling for a Beach Tow (which cost him $400,:shock: my island friend/local ended up towing him out). I can understand their frustration.

I am sure they were embarrassed, there were at least 30 people there, especially since they asked me about my Range, which was 19 years old, not 1 year. They seemed quite cross. I told them it is all about experience, we all get stuck at some point embarrassing as it may be and one ways of learning is by making a mistake. That did not help the situation.:???:
Why did they get stuck?? (I am astonished they even made it that far...) My towing friend, Harry, said the driver 1: Had super low profile tires not appropriate for oversand driving (I did not take a look at the size/type), 2: Only let out a minimal amount of air from all 4 tires... the recommended PSI is 12 out there, and 3: Had no idea how to drive in the sand, he just floored it and continued to do so over and over again.

EVEN WORSE, after his tow, he turned around and got stuck yet again 2 minutes later even with the tire pressure corrected and after being TOLD BY THE TOWER not to FLOOR IT! He honked his horn and the tow truck turned around to rescue yet again. Being a Range Rover enthusiast I had sympathy, but not as much as usual as the couple was very impolite towards me and others who went over and asked what happened or tried to offer help (not much anyone could do, digging him out was pointless, so we just asked if he called Harry:-|). I hope this driver learned a little about driving in the sand, especially after getting stuck 2 minutes after his initial tow - and he is lucky he was not charged twice! He also payed $140 for the permit required to drive on this piece of protected land/wildlife refuge, so overall a $540 expense, ouch.

Thanks for reading my story, unfortunate as it may be, it was really hilarious to witness, here are some of the photos.
The first 3 are of the first stuck + tow and the second 3 are the second stuck + tow, crazy sand action in photo 4!

DSC04413.jpg DSC04416.jpg DSC04417.jpg 10320394_10203158548956512_7125588302750586808_n.jpg 10380273_10203158549236519_5890391407494624055_n.jpg 10336709_10203158549996538_5454165757316706579_n-1.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: New 2013 Range Rover Sport HSE Luxury Owner fails in oversand

Sometimes, you just can't help stupid. Sounds like he was a douche on top of being stupid as well. I find that a lot of folks that buy a sport have no idea about how to use it properly because it's just a status symbol to these people. Just look up YouTube and you will see a ton of vids of sports getting stuck in the most benign conditions because the owners have no idea about having the right tyres etc. I tow people out of snow banks all the time during winter and the main reasons people get in trouble are the same reasons your guy got stuck...wrong tyres and not knowing how to drive in the conditions.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,990 Posts

You don't need a range rover to drive in the sand or 4x4 trail. Just a correct 4x4 vehicle and prudence.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
161 Posts

Wow, you did well to keep a straight face through all that! Your photos are sharp enough to read that the tires are Contis, likely the OEM ones that are not in any way offroad tires of course. We should be prepared for a new poster claiming that LR offroad prowess is BS, traction sucks, etc.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts

I would say it was 25% tires and 75% the driver. The sport is a ridiculously capable vehicle in lots of conditions, as long as the person driving has a bit of sense on how to handle situations.

Buying a super awesome exclusive high end hammer doesn't mean you have the common sense or ability to build a house with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts

If you air down, drive in low range, durn off DSC is driving on the stock tyres still out of the question in soft sand, or is ok?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts

If you do all that (and flip the TR switch to sand mode, which helps modulating the throttle for you so that it'll be nearly impossible to accidentally or intentionally "flooring it" when taking off in deep sand, like that genius appears to be doing in picture #4), the stock tires will do just fine. Like everyone else said, it's mostly a matter of common sense.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thank you. I've driven my lr3 on great point in Nantucket many times w no problem. I now have a 2011 rss w the stock 20" tires. I'll let you guys know how it does for me.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Jason,

Please take an awesome photo of your Sport near Great Point for us + your family memories!
Have fun out there and remember to watch out for Sea Gull chicks across the sandy paths!
Enjoy the best off-roading Nantucket has to offer as well as the gorgeous scenery and weather.
Here are my first photo's of 2 out of 3 of my Rovers making it to the renown Great Point Lighthouse.
First 2 are August of 2006 when I first took my first car the Classic oversand for the first time.
3rd is May of 2007 after I purchased my second car, a first year P38, also oversand for the first time.
Nantucket 2006 005.jpg Nantucket 2006 102.jpg NNTKT house osprey regis 2010 017.jpg

·
Registered
186 Posts

funny story... no doubt city slickers/yuppies that got stuck and felt dumb for it. Amusing that they can not be humble when asked if they need help....

I did the beach thing with one truck, my old Cherokee Limited on narrow Cooper Discoverer radials. Lowered the PSI, did the trick. A buddy of mine at the time tried to take his 95 Eddie Bauer Explorer close to the water, got stuck right before the tide came in. I wasn't there, but he became the laughing stock of the town.. truck was junked. This was in the Hamptons by the way, Long Island. So well to do city slickers make fools of themselves out there a lot too... but ACK has the worst of them lol

Lots of nice Defenders, FJ40s, and Grand Wagoneers all over ACK !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts