RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got new 2010 RRS on Thursday night delivered to my house. Went on a road trip Friday morning. It didn't take long for me to notice the noise! I thought the door was open or window wasn't closed properly. After stopping and adjusting windows and doors it continued to have bad wind sounds coming in. Well I wish I had driven the one I bought. I took it into the dealer today and the service manager drove it about and on the freeway he said that it is how the RR sports are. I drove another one and it was better than the way mine sounded. Ugh! I am going back on Tuesday to work on this further. I am really disappointed. I owned 2 full size RRs before this car, it didn't have the noise. I really hope they can fix this! Does anyone have the same problems? Do you hear a his of wind?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
472 Posts
I feel your pain as I HATE wind noise in a vehicle...I test drove a new 2009 that was wind noisy. Then took out a 2010 and no issues so I figured it was not a MY 2010 issue. My 2010 does not have the issue but other 2010 owners complain about it here. If they give you the run around, I'd get real demanding. You can get a sound meter that measures in decibles pretty cheaply....

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... ps-sellers

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 2010 is just over a month old and I didn't notice any wind noise until recently when I was on the highway and turned the radio right down. It's a little noisier than my last car (audi S5) but for me, somehow it's tolerable. Maybe because it's an off road vehicle and psychologically I'm not expecting a silent car level of quietness? I don't know. But I have a feeling they are all like this -- and when some owners say "mine isn't noisy" it's really that they are not sensitive to it. After how many vehicles Land Rover has assembled over the years I find it hard to believe they would have that much variance in quality control from vehicle to vehicle within the same model range. I bet Mercedes and Lexus have quieter SUV's but I still wouldn't buy one of those.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am not sensitive to the level of noise in my 2010 Sport.

One thing to consider: Do your doors shut very easily? Mine were a little snug (difficult to close without a firm throw) and I asked the dealer to adjust them a little. I noticed a touch of extra wind noise after the dealer made the adjustment. You may consider asking the dealer to adjust all four doors a little tighter and see if it helps with the noise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the comments all of your input is helpful. The idea about doors makes a lot of sense. Very much appreciated, please keep them coming! I am going to bring all of this to the dealership.

·
Registered
38 Posts
gol said:
Thank you for the comments all of your input is helpful. The idea about doors makes a lot of sense. Very much appreciated, please keep them coming! I am going to bring all of this to the dealership.

You can forget about fixing that wind noise. I've been back 4 time to the dealer for this issue and it's just how the car drives. I test drove 3 other 2010's and they all had same high level of wind noise. It's really disappointing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
.. I am seeing a lot of 'road/wind noise' complaints. I am new to RR's and am very happy with the relative silence of my 2010. Several people have mentioned wind noise only to find the roof gutter trim that runs from front to back (where a roof rack would go) had slightly popped up, allowing wind noise to be generated.

I am amazed at the number of techs who just say 'they all do that sir' as justification. Quite scary in this day and age and will only lead to a loss of repeat buyers.

As for closing the doors. I have noticed that the double/triple seals are really air tight and my kids underestimate the force needed to overcome that last door closure. It happens so much that I often crack a window down to make it easier for them.

Sorry to hear about your noise issues but as someone else mentioned in this forum, unless you are used to a Maybach, the cars should be quiet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I dont have the SC, but I doubt if those extra ponies add that much wind, my 2010 HSE RRS is as quiet as can be, this is my first RRS, coming from BMW, and mine is quiet no wind noise at all, unless I have the sunroof open, then its just the hiss of the screen...

Makes me think its not a MY2010 issue overall, just maybe an issue on some specific vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Unless people on this board have widely different noise tolerances, it sound like there's an issue with some vehicles.

Its unfortunate that dealers leave you to your own devices to figure out what's wrong, but rather than put up with this, I'd get some 2" wide painters tape and start covering up the gaps near the front windscreen, doors and roof trim and try to figure out what area is causing the excess wind noise. If it doesn't solve anything then you only wasted $3.99.

Very small changes in the location/fit of a trim piece can cause a big variation in the pitch of the noise.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
JetPilot said:
As usual, very good advice. Electical tape might work as well.

FYI. NASCAR uses duct tape … it's more aerodynamic :thumb:
Good last point Jetpilot! :thumb: If you will be wind testing at over 100mph, I'd use duct tape. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
gol said:

How did you make out at the dealership regarding the wind noise?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi All I am printing this out now and going to the dealership. Thanks, I will let you know what happens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts