RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - its been a while... I was an early bird here on this BB with one of the first 2014s kept it for 25K miles then got a GL63 AMG for something bigger and put 40K on that and now back to a fully loaded 2018 SVR I just took delivery of a week or so ago.

So I sent it to my guy for K40 radar/jammers, tint, clear bra and ceramic coating. Well he starts working on the clear bra and finds all this chipping against the hood vents. Car has 150 miles on it...

So anyone else had this? The only option I did not get was the exposed carbon hood as on black it did not seem worth it - Guess they showed me! Any advice on handling with RR - they are going to repaint the hood - sigh....

Here is new ride:

newrr.jpg

Here is one pic of the chipping down to the carbon (there is much more):

54689340624__F65F8FFC-9A24-4347-8210-05BA19B6230F.jpg

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
First, congrats on the new ride.
Secondly, that's just unacceptable. Your dealer should have it repainted for you. Just ask nicely and you should be good to go. I can't imagine they will push back.

·
Registered
341 Posts
They will do that and have been good about it. I still think it sucks on a $133K car that now I will have paintwork within 200 miles due to factory incompetence. If I was leasing I would not care. I was going to push for a whole new carbon hood that then is repainted so that paintwork levels would match.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Same thing on my 18, just got the whole hood repainted
There was a brand new SVR getting delivered at the dealership and it had the same problem...

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
I doubt it has anything to do with factory incompetence. If it were poor paint it would be chipping all over the carbon fibre hood. Seems odd that it is chipping around the vents and nowhere else. I would suspect a design issue with the vents being a hair oversized or expanding with heat. It could also be that the size spec didn't take into account the thickness of the paint. If so they would press tightly against the paint when flexing and cause the odd chipping at the openings. I wonder if anyone else has had this issue beside you two.

·
Registered
117 Posts
silver lining here, if the hood is CF, you'll never have consistent paint levels anyways so you really can't paint meter it with any accuracy...so it's not as bad as if it was one of the fenders in aluminum.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
289 Posts
I checked and noticed a bit or cracking. So thanks for posting about this.
I don’t have exposed CF hood. But the hood is CF anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update on this - RR was going to repair this for me, but is putting out a technical bulletin on this topic for the painted carbon hood so FYI for all. Mine will get repaired per the bulletin.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
126 Posts
Update on this - RR was going to repair this for me, but is putting out a technical bulletin on this topic for the painted carbon hood so FYI for all. Mine will get repaired per the bulletin.
Thanks for alerting us! Is the SVR technical bulletin for the carbon fiber hood out already, i.e., we can ask our dealer's service dept about it right away, or it will be coming out soon?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts