RangeRovers.net Forum banner

81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
2ndLR said:
Anyone have a recommendation for a good all weather tire for a RRSport SC w/ the Brembo/stormers on it?
I read the posts here and redmann runs these Cooper 275/45/20. Looks a little aggressive like it might make some noise or vibrate at freeway speeds?? not sure.

I'm looking for something all year round in northern CA where we get a heavy rainy season from Jan - March and I use the car mostly for lake tahoe with limited if any off road use. Although I'm thinking of Sierra off road tour this summer near lake Tahoe.

Looking for a profile that wont hose up my speedometer.
Maybe something available from the tire rack? http://www.tirerack.com

I buy my sport car tires there and have been happy.

Not sure what comes on the car from the factory I bought mine used. Heard there were problems with some of the factory provided rubber vibrating at high speeds.

MR
I have the Cooper Zeon LTZ 275/45/20 tires on my SC Sport. I've put almost 20,000 miles on them. They are great tires. Not much louder than the stock POS (my opinion) Continentals. I live in Seattle and we had a lot of snow recently. A friend had his RRS HSE in deep snow/slush and was stuck and had to rock the car back and forth to get out. I drove circles around him while he was trying to move.

I found out about the Cooper tires on this site. I'm really happy with them. I use them year round.

I got them at Discount Tire.

·
Registered
269 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Bugger,

Just spent a few $$$$ on new Contis :evil: How much were the Coopers 20s ?

Who wants some 1 week old Contis

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
Adrian,

We've got a huge contingent of the club doing another beach run this Saturday if you are interested. If so, I'll send you the details...woudl be great if you can join us. We are going again to Bolivar, then down to Port Arthur/Sabine Pass (50 miles on the beach), deep sand...lunch on the beach then back home.

No body damage likely at all, just fun with sand mode!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Paul

Now I read this :doh:

Just spent a boring Sat doing not a lot ....

Thanks for the invite anyway

·
Registered
16 Posts
ayates said:
Bugger,

They were under $200 per tire. Somewhere around $175 or so.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've read all the awesome reviews about the Cooper LTZ tires however, I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has tried the Nitto Terra Grapplers and the Coopers. I'd like to hear the opinion of someone who has seen both tires in action.

So far I see an upside to the Nittos because I will not have to worry about the speedo if I get them in 255/55/18. I beleive the smallest 18" Cooper I can get is 285/60/18.

since this was an older post and it seems like people made their choices a long time ago i just wanted to hear some new thoughts.

·
Registered
168 Posts
rushdriven said:
ayates said:
Bugger,

They were under $200 per tire. Somewhere around $175 or so.
You can get them for $130 a tire from Tread Depot. They have a $25 coupon off when you buy a set...so even cheaper. I'm waiting in a couple of months to pick these up after all the good reviews.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
mark511 said:
I've read all the awesome reviews about the Cooper LTZ tires however, I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has tried the Nitto Terra Grapplers and the Coopers. I'd like to hear the opinion of someone who has seen both tires in action.

So far I see an upside to the Nittos because I will not have to worry about the speedo if I get them in 255/55/18. I beleive the smallest 18" Cooper I can get is 285/60/18.

since this was an older post and it seems like people made their choices a long time ago i just wanted to hear some new thoughts.
What the Coopers have over the Nittos are grip, they are softer and bite a bit more. If you are speaking of the 255/55/18s, then I assume you aren't taking them off the pavement. If you are though, the Coopers are a 1/2 step above the Nittos.

·
Registered
543 Posts
To the Seven Dwarfs.

It's great to hear about all new tyre fitments in 18" and 20" varieties suitable for either our on-road or off-road behaving.

Each tyre manufacturer has a unique feature if this is to do with the tyres construction, number of plies, rubber compound or pattern suitable to relevant parts of the world with differing conditions, loads to be carried, specifications and speeds.

Has anybody carried out improvements to the suspension instead of just the replacement tyres to achieve an overall smarter outcome of plus/minus fitments appropriate to their location ? I haven't heard from thread members installing Koni/Bilstien or other brand shock absorbers or even swing away tyre carriers which solves the spare wheel size limitations !

Once we all start driving around in gumbo sized-rubber plantation sapping-round black things, there is definitely going to be other concerns related to the gearing of the truck, weight of components, running ground clearance and stopping power.

Cheerio,

Vinniman.
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
vinniman said:
I haven't heard from thread members installing Koni/Bilstien or other brand shock absorbers
That's because we have EAS. :wink: Haven't seen a converstion kit yet. There is the "rod mod" (adjusts the ride height sensor position) which gives an extra ~2", but that's about it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
vinniman said:
To the Seven Dwarfs.

I haven't heard from thread members installing Koni/Bilstien or other brand shock absorbers or even swing away tyre carriers which solves the spare wheel size limitations !
Hi vinnieman, Koni do aftermarket shocks, and they're very good. There is a US company that does swing away carriers that attach to the tow hitch, but I don't remember their name. The D3 rear carries can be made to fit, but ruin the RRS's looks, lol. If it doesn't fit underneath, there's always the roof rack option.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
vinniman said:
To the Seven Dwarfs.

It's great to hear about all new tyre fitments in 18" and 20" varieties suitable for either our on-road or off-road behaving.

Each tyre manufacturer has a unique feature if this is to do with the tyres construction, number of plies, rubber compound or pattern suitable to relevant parts of the world with differing conditions, loads to be carried, specifications and speeds.

Has anybody carried out improvements to the suspension instead of just the replacement tyres to achieve an overall smarter outcome of plus/minus fitments appropriate to their location ? I haven't heard from thread members installing Koni/Bilstien or other brand shock absorbers or even swing away tyre carriers which solves the spare wheel size limitations !

Once we all start driving around in gumbo sized-rubber plantation sapping-round black things, there is definitely going to be other concerns related to the gearing of the truck, weight of components, running ground clearance and stopping power.

Cheerio,

Vinniman.
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.
That has got to be some good **** you are smoking...whatever it is, it's got you running at 100 mph all day long!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
PJPR01 said:
That has got to be some good Golly Gee Whiz you are smoking...whatever it is, it's got you running at 100 mph all day long!!!!
Yeah, I think it has something to do with how things spin backwards in the southern hemisphere? :)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
Maybe so...I can't make heads or tails of what he's trying to say! I know it's funny stuff, but it confuses the crap out of me.

:D :D

·
Registered
543 Posts
C'mon Blokes-joking aside.

Most concerns with 19" available tyres is a nightmare with your Rangey Sport whether it's the standard or S/C brakes, as the replacement market is very limiting and everybody appears to be trying 18" or 20" or even 22" option improvements.

From my personal experience in the past with plus fitments, there is always a trade-off in increased performance when up sizing to bigger wheels or lower profile rubber such as weight of the 'package', stiffer springs or dampers required to cope with either heavier unsprung weight residing at each corner, more stress on hub bearings and handling/clearance issues.

No body appears to be tackling these other concerns together with their preferred tyre/wheel selection or any breakages. Simple things like re-positioning the EAS sensors might achieve an extra 2" of body lift, but what about the brake lines and where EAS airbags have dampers too, how about replacing the dual rate Bilstiens with reversibles to give you more room inside the guards such as Rick and the teams Pre-runners at www.doetsch-shocks.com who could hook you guys up asap ?

Some of you have tried factory 20 inch wheels with wider or taller round black things from other aftermarket tyre suppliers and appear to be experiencing problems with suspension rubbing, A-arm clearances or rubbing inner guards of your trucks.
Check out www.speedywheels.com.au who have their Addiction or Cross-5 wheels which can be custom drilled per available offsets that may in fact solve your lug nut seating and tyre rubbing concerns by siting the tyre and wheels further outside !

A company called Opposite Lock "Down Under" has invented a single swing away tyre carrier which requires removal of rear bumpers, installation to the rear chassis member and bumper re-installation without effecting looks of your Rangey Sport ?

Quite simply there are better ways to resolve your problems by touching base with those of us who are one step ahead and have already tried applications like 'JWest' with his Disco3 and which have resulted in tried and proven solutions or advice.

Whether it's crashing through potholes in Chicago, threading the billy goat tracks of Washington D.C., driving in pouring rain from Orlando, Florida to touring through Yosemiti National Park in California to the Rubicon Trail, near Lake Tahoe.
I've visited all these places and each has a unique environment completely different to the Outback of Western Australia, and each of our vehicles needs to be set up differently to the desired tastes and climatic conditions experienced by LR's.

Cheerio,

Vinniman.
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
vinniman said:
Some of you have tried factory 20 inch wheels with wider or taller round black things from other aftermarket tyre suppliers and appear to be experiencing problems with suspension rubbing, A-arm clearances or rubbing inner guards of your trucks.
Cool, a post in English. :)
I've not had any real issues with the 20" off road tires on my RRS for light/moderate off roading... but I think you're missing the boat on this one.

Except for the Goose http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33403, people here simply do not buy an RRS to go off road. There are about 5 of us on this board that regularly go off road, but it's still <1% of our total mileage. The average RRS never sees dirt. Ever. There just isn't the interest or viable marketplace for major RRS off roading modifications. Scraping the EAS? Nobody is going to do that. If you're looking to do a lot of wheeling, there are several much more capable vehicles for significantly less dough. It is what it is. :?

·
Registered
93 Posts
people here simply do not buy an RRS to go off road.
I can't fathom why someone would buy any Land Rover, including RRS, and not go off-road. There are lighter, faster, cheaper, better handling, and more luxurious options for just sticking to the road.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Drevs said:
JeffW said:
people here simply do not buy an RRS to go off road.
I can't fathom why someone would buy any Land Rover, including RRS, and not go off-road.
Sure you can. People want the image. LR marketing is very effective.
I had no intention of going "off road" when I bought the RRS. Now, I'm hooked though. :thumb:

81 - 100 of 132 Posts