RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
is it "faster" to change tires every time you want to go offroading? :lol:

don't be a jerk saying i didn't know about the "limited" specs when i in fact said i didn't know about it to start with.

also, if you can't afford the luxury of a few rims, you probably can't afford the car you're in to begin with. it's like going out to dinner and tipping poorly.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
jwest said:
if you can't afford the luxury of a few rims, you probably can't afford the car you're in to begin with. it's like going out to dinner and tipping poorly.
Yeah sure, that's the same thing. :roll:

Aren't you the same guy who doesn't understand why people who can afford the Sport don't just get the FFRR instead?

·
Registered
146 Posts
unbertob, am i not allowed to defend myself against stupid remarks? actually, in a better mood, yes i do in fact understand - i say choose the car that works for your own priorities. except for time, separate wheels is kind of nice to have in my opinion. i do it myself in less than an hour.

as for luxury or either, i prefer to use my discovery II for my toy and keep the newer model with seats and such in it for work and going out with friends.

but yes, i imagine if one can afford a sport they can probably also afford a ffrr and have instead made a functionality or design preference choice.

i wish we could blend them anyway we like in somme sort of online car ordering manner. i'd take the cool lines of the sport, the cargo of the lr3 and the interior materials and comfort of the full size along with large tire capacity, both tall for offroad and 12" wide for street tires ;)

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
jwest said:
separate wheels is kind of nice to have in my opinion. i do it myself in less than an hour.
Yeah, that's more or less how long it takes me now to go from 21s to 18s and viceversa, after LOTS of practice. Of course, I am usually only about 1/2 way done at that point, since I also need to remove the friggin' side steps, and those take longer than the wheels. :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
man....you can pick up a decent D2 for around $20k now, more if you want it all loaded and low miles, less if you don't care and it's totally a toy. or, an 05 lr3 would be fun to just tear into with offroad mods.....

lucky for you sport lovers, the sport is most likely the first model that will have the TDV8 engine in a couple years.... so i have been told by a dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
jwest said:
also, if you can't afford the luxury of a few rims, you probably can't afford the car you're in to begin with. it's like going out to dinner and tipping poorly.
That's such a ridiculously asinine thing to say.

After trashing my 20" stormers/OE Contis on a very tame offroad venture, I've just kept them in the garage as my offroad setup. I swap them out with my street wheels before offroad trips.

I'm interested to hear some feedback about this new tire. If anyone gets them on a 20" wheel and hits the dirt, make sure to write a review!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree Drevs.

I think jwest has the case of the "im rich and your poor" syndrome. Its funny because Im really a nice guy, i just really hate it when people like jwest make rude idiotic comments. Just like that other guy who asked why someone would buy a RRS over a full size (might be the same person actually).

But anyway, drevs, im planning to get these tires in the next 3 weeks, so i'll post picts and review asap.

·
Registered
95 Posts
so after hearing from more than a few people that the a 285/50/20 would not fit the Sport. I decided to go with the new Cooper tires 275/45/20 since there should be almost no difernce with this size to the original 20's set up that came with from the dealer.
i will be using this set up as my main summer tires to and from work (about 100 milles a day)
driving on the beach, camping, and a dirt trail from time to time, so hopefully the 45 profile will be suffecient for my use.
when i recieve the tire's in on Monday or Tuesday i will take a few pictures. and make sure i test them out on the beach or somewhere very soon.
i will give a full review once i have some feedback.
(hopefully these tires are good). :!: :!: :!:

·
Registered
146 Posts
frinsan said:
I agree Drevs.

I think jwest has the case of the "im rich and your poor" syndrome. Its funny because Im really a nice guy, i just really hate it when people like jwest make rude idiotic comments. Just like that other guy who asked why someone would buy a RRS over a full size (might be the same person actually).

But anyway, drevs, im planning to get these tires in the next 3 weeks, so i'll post picts and review asap.
you guys missed my point in that i really think you can get extra rims cheaply which then makes life simpler for really using your vehicle the way you, and i, dreamed of in the first place. nicely set up with great gripping summer tires and the other rims with at's for fun weekends seeing how cool the air supsension is getting you to pretty and remote locations.
it isn't a rich or poor thing at all, i did the road/offroad rims/tires thing with my 1996 discovery that i bought used and put 200,000 miles on before getting anything new.

sorry about the "tipping" comment, i just felt like if someone is interested in offroading, it's a worthwhile thing to invest in some ebay or aftermarket rims for a thousand or two.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
frinsan said:
Awesome - I'm definitely interested. Those stock Contis aren't so hot off road - I'm already missing big chunks of sidewall.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm still amazed how many of you don't seem to understand that just because a company makes a 20" "off road" tire with a little aggressive tread, it doesn't mean that you can actually take it off road. It's just fashion, people. Don't you see pictures of those rediculous 'off road' SUV's at the auto shows that you really can't drive anywhere? I see someone here besides me destroyed their stock 19's and Contis with some non-aggressive off roading. The reason is the same: You need MORE RUBBER between the edge of the wheel and the ground. There's simply no arguing that point. That's why a few of us here only off-road with the 18" wheels and the Nittos (or similar size), to give us about 1.5" more sidewall height. If there was a way to get 'normal' 16" wheels on this blasted vehicle, I'd pay dearly for them. If you put 20" 'dirt tires' on your rig, it's just Gucci. They will fail and you will pay for it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Jeffrey

i understand what you are saying and i knew that. what i am looking for is just a tire that has more of an agressive pattern that i could take to the beach or go camping, as apposed to the stock conties or other summer tires that would be just as bad.
and yes you do need more side wall on a tire to go offroading but us SC owner's that take are trucks of the normall path are all screwed regardless. however having a little more aggresive tread is nice to have.

so for driving on the beach in either my 20's with the Conties, or driving on the beach with the Cooper's on. id rather have the Cooper's on, because i have no other choice with my Sport.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Redmann - your 20" AT's will be good for snow roads/trails too though where you don't hit deep holes or hard bumps/edges. the stock tires were most likely, 275/40 (29") and the ones you are talking about, 275/45, will be 30" which will also give you a touch more clearance but just know the low ride handling will start to go away as well. you could even get away with 275/50 (31.5" tall = 1.25" more ground clearance than your stock tire provided) but then they won't handle as well for all your driving seeing as you are doing more or less a permanent switch.

you know, it's possible for you to pick up cheap 19" rims and then dig a little for AT tires on those down the road.

by rubber the other guy means air space between your rims and the objects of course. on your beach outings you would benefit from having the extra air space height to allow "airing down" for better loose soil/sand traction.

enough on this though, sorry some people did not find the information useful.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Jeffrey said:
I'm still amazed how many of you don't seem to understand that just because a company makes a 20" "off road" tire with a little aggressive tread, it doesn't mean that you can actually take it off road.
Well then what would you suggest, oh holy offroad god, for us with the Brembos? :)

Obviously you can't do Baja, but common now. I took my stock 20" 'street tires' offroad. Sure, my rims got trashed, but whatever... I don't really have an option anyways with the bigger brakes and whatnot.

I guess I'd look at the HSE 19's, but then I'd have to buy a whole other set of wheels and tires... and according to Jwest, I can't afford that. I'll just stick with my beatup 20's and go as far as they'll take me. If I can find a better tire for them, then why not?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Drevs said:
Jeffrey said:
I'm still amazed how many of you don't seem to understand that just because a company makes a 20" "off road" tire with a little aggressive tread, it doesn't mean that you can actually take it off road.
Well then what would you suggest, oh holy offroad god, for us with the Brembos? :)

Obviously you can't do Baja, but common now. I took my stock 20" 'street tires' offroad. Sure, my rims got trashed, but whatever... I don't really have an option anyways with the bigger brakes and whatnot.

I guess I'd look at the HSE 19's, but then I'd have to buy a whole other set of wheels and tires... and according to Jwest, I can't afford that. I'll just stick with my beatup 20's and go as far as they'll take me. If I can find a better tire for them, then why not?
Dang it Drevs, I didn't say anyone couldn't afford it, in fact I said you all out to buy an extra set or not buy the RRsport with brembos to start with or if you must have the sport, also buy a late model DiscoII. Wasn't your car around $70k in the first place? You surely can afford some little rims and tires!
As for 19"s, a 30 second ebay search found some rrs 19"s for $200 each plus $135 shipping. I am sure anyone on here playing with a vehicle costing over $50k used can spring for $1100 in rims and another $800-$1000 on 19" goodyear mtr tires from the uk.

Lastly, about the Brembos....I was curious about how tight 18"s would be on my SC Range Rover so I tried a land rover 18 I had and found it to 'almost' fit making me wonder if a custom/offroad racing shop could properly grind off just a smidgen of excess caliper to allow 18s. You could also SELL the brembos ( i know, it's crazy) and use standard brakes which would allow 18's. you'd still have the motor AND the big'un offroad tires then. ;)

see this for thread on 19"rims in UK on RRSports, and a great photo:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic1110 ... 19+terrain

·
Registered
485 Posts
I know the facts hurt sometimes, but if I am now the "oh holy offroad god" for simply presenting them, then so be it. I didn't create them. Neither did I manufacture and market a highway cruiser with a transfer case(?!?). But some people still buy them and then wonder why they are not able to safely travel rough trails. It's partly LR's fault, but each buyer must be knowledgeable about what they're getting into and what it will actually do. Most don't have the experience or do thorough research.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
They make 17 inch wheels for the LR3 in the UK so those same wheels will fit the Sport. If someone could get a small group buy together I bet you could have a company fabricate some 17 inch steel wheels for less then the cost of importing 17 inch alloys from Europe.

You would just need to get a group of 10-15 people and then the specs of the 17 inch wheels. Once that was done I bet the same company could figure out a way to make 18 inch steel wheels that will fit around Brembos. I haven't taken measurments but I bet someone clever could do it with some fancy offset and the right kind of steel.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Jeffrey said:
I know the facts hurt sometimes
I think the only thing 'hurt' by any of this is your personally idyllic vision of LR exclusively designing hard core offroad vehicles.

Regardless, I would never survive in the naturally aspirated RRS. I had an LR3 loaner this past weekend, and it was soooo sloooowwwwww......

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm sorry you can't take the truth, and sadly feel compelled to continually bash other forum members with your comments and need for speed. Why don't you just buy a much faster Porsche and drive outa here? After all, you're trying to go real fast in a truck!

·
Registered
146 Posts
then again, Jeffrey, I wouldn't have a sport if it were given to me so maybe I should get off this side. I only posted because I was trying to help with tire fitting because I've owned a Supercharged RR and still have a Disco1,II and 3 with varying tire sizes and purposes.

IF I were to go for speed or bling-truck, aside from an 07 or newer RRSC I'd have the GL500 or a Porchse Cayenne Turbo. At least the Mercedes is solid axle front and rear with some offroad capability well beyond the sport. For speed freaks it can also be amazingly outfitted to 500 hp or something....with a few $. :wink:

21 - 40 of 132 Posts
About this Discussion
131 Replies
38 Participants
umbertob
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing