RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They borrowed the 2004 HSE to go and get the kid, but said they had another vehicle for jumping - my last words were - "Don't use the Rover for jumping"

Voila, alternator fried as they probably crossed the streamers as the kid is not all there.

I replaced the alternator, but seems the battery might be fried too. I'm getting 14.15V at the battery, but after an hour or so of being off its down to 11.9V and now I have a transmission fault!!! - bigger problem

My real question is: Anything ELSE that needs checking? - fuses, fuseable link? Ideas? Other than throw another 3K-5K at it for a transmission.

I will replace the battery tomorrow, but really not happy that this is now causing the trans to drop to 5th gear limp mode - It just happened this morning on my way to work...and then on the way home again. I had my code reader then reset it before I left the office and around 6-7 minutes of driving it started slipping at a stop sign and then dropped out to 5th. The first time there was a decent clunk, but knowing that might happen again I was really easy on the skinny pedal.

Been driving it for a week and a half with no issues after the alternator replacement - till today. Perhaps the battery shorted a cell and was slowly going down? Strange the trans goes to limp after a few miles of driving?

Ideas? (Done research on the trans and I don't like what I read)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Did they tow the other vehicle as well? This could explain the transmission issues.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
You'd have to look at a circuit diagram to see what exactly/how things were shorted? It could be coincidental and kids are alright, receiving blame for something they didn't do!

How old is the battery? Bring it in and get the battery tested. The dynamic performance of the battery is important over pure voltage levels. And it will cause trans issues - did in my car. Battery was 5 years old and marginal. I was getting trans faults after not driving for a few days.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So.. I think you are correct. The two are not necessarily linked. Replaced the alternator and belt, thought the same, and got a brand new new battery (Duralast Gold). Car drives fine for a few minutes then after you stop, start moving again the engine revs, then the trans failsafe program warning pops up and it goes to 5th gear. As it clunked the first time it happened I have been very light on it the two test drives since.

CRAP. 120K on the 04 HSE. I don't think changing the fluid will do this one. Strange though, if I reset the code while stopped then it seems to start off right again for that moment - next stop repeat problem.

I might change the trans cooler and the thermostat, who knows.... They would need to be done anyway if I need a new trans.

This may take a bit as I have other projects (read..Rovers) in the garage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Test drove again and all starts well.... then warm and drops to fail. Threw a P0732 code this time. The first time was an P0730 - generic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts