Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 LWB in pretty awesome condition. I guess the only major concern is that it has about 211k miles on it. The heads were rebuilt not too long ago. Runs great for the most part. It needs a new catalytic converter, it idles a bit high in park neutral (although it goes down when I turn the A/C on), and I find that the RPMs run a bit high when going over 45mph (it runs at about 3000 rpm past 45mph). It also may need a new CV joint as there is some crunching noise when sharp turns are made.

I have an opportunity to do a straight trade for a 2004 Disco II SE7 with 95k miles on it. The gentleman who owns the Disco I find to be an honest man, and has disclosed that it will need a new head gasket soon as the current one is leaking. I drove it, and it rides very nicely. Smooth shifting, no crazy noises, really. He said that it will probably need the heads to be redone sometime later down the road.

I've only had experience with RRCs, so I'm a bit limited in my scope of Discos. I know some of you are sages when it comes to knowing these vehicles inside out. I've read a great deal in the forums, and there are warnings of gaskets leaking and front drive shafts failing, etc. I didn't see a comparison between the 95 RRC and the 04 Disco II SE7.

My conundrum: I can keep my RRC with 211k miles (only to go up since its my DD) in which I'm already familiar with its quirks,

OR

I can trade for an almost 10-years newer Disco with a Bosch engine with 116k less mileage (95k!).

Any thoughts on my dilemma?

Thanks so much for your time and insight!

~Derrty

·
Registered
372 Posts
My best friend, and neighbor owns a 2004 disco S model. Just got it, so through his trials and tribulations I have learned a few of the quirks---

Here are some we found inside the past year-
1. the front drive-shaft from the factory is not serviceable. Should swap out if have not been done already.
2. 3amigos lights- normally associated with failure to use transfer case. If you don't use it... it will eventually happen to you in a disco.
3. Stock thermostat allows vehicle to run hot-- you can swap out to correct. (it would be nice to have OBD II) bluetooth OBD plug-ins available for onboard guages!!! that would be a positive for me!
4. Leaks - as you should already know the 95 LWB has some failures with its windscreen molding. Previous RRC's had a gasket that fits in the frame, the 95 has 4 seperate molding trim peices that are hard to find. My windscreen was leaking so bad, it was the culprit for some nasty floor rust. Discos utilize the same style windscreen mounts, and my friend is seeing some of the effect on his 04 that I had with mine.

Does the one you are looking at have air suspension in the rear? I think it might because of the SE7 option. Something to look into checking--- Though being an RRC owner, you should know your way around some air springs =)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, grnole!

I'm a bit familiar with the springs, and the Disco does have the air suspension, I believe. I'll have to check on the front drive shaft.

3 Amigos are there. He converted the Disco to a two-wheel drive vehicle after the U-joint went bad. He said that he liked how it drove as a two wheel drive instead, and never went back.

He did say that he removed the thermostat to increase engine coolant circulation because it ran hot some. I'm not sure how feel about that, but he hasn't had any overheating issues. As long as replacing the thermostat will help with that, I'll feel better.

I don't have any issues so far with a leaking windshield, but the previous owner may have taken care of that.

For me, it's just tempting to get a newer vehicle with 116k less miles. I just don't know if I'll be one of those cases where the older vehicle with higher mileage already had the major kinks resolved, and the younger vehicle is just getting ready for the major kinks to kick in.

(sigh...)

Your feedback is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I hear ya. I think it is going to come down to personal preference on this one. There are many people here who will tell you, the devil you know, is better than the devil you do not know.

mileage is just a number... it truly only means something in resale to the owner who doesn't know what went into the miles on the clock :)

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
I own and daily drive a 1993 LWB.
I owned a 2003 and had a serious love/hate relationship with it. I wrote a review after my daughter totaled it in a low speed crash.

Read it for what it is worth. I love my Classic and don't think I would part with it. I would go diesel Defender perhaps, maybe even a diesel Series II. Otherwise I don't think I'll own another Disco 2. But I've learned to Never Say Never.

http://okierover.com/blog/r-i-p-2003-discovery/

Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Okie and grnole! That was quite insightful and helpful. Great write-up and blog, Okie.

I think I've made up my mind to stick with my 95 Classic LWB.

a) I foresee more than just the heads needing to be redone ($1800-$2400)

b) The thermostat was taken off, so who knows what other issues may be lurking in there?

c) When the u-joints failed, he converted the 4-wheel drive into 2-wheel drive. I'm under the impression that the 04 Discos were permanent 4x4... I'm trying to wrap my head around that. So, I'm not certain just how comfortable I'll be driving it around, especially with the 3 amigos staring back at me...

d) I'm not saving anything on MPGs (but, really, if I were worried about MPGs... oh, nevermind)

e) Sage advice from grnole: The devil you know is better than the devil you don't. I think this especially applies to Rovers in general. Even at 211k miles, with the work that was done, I still feel comfortable and confident in it.

Thanks again for your help!

Oh, well. Until the next trade opportunity rolls around. :p

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
I'm not 100% certain but the Disco 1 was very closely based on the RR Classic and I think the Disco 2 is closer to the P38. If this is the case, it will have a viscous coupling in the transfer box and running it with one propshaft removed will result in this coupling seizing solid. So if you were to convert it back to 4 wheel drive you'd need to add in the cost of replacing the transfer box too.

As said, mileage is only a number if you have had the car for any length of time and know what has been done it it. I sold my '93 Classic LSE (LWB) with 192k miles on it and the new owner tells me it is still going strong despite doing 50 miles a day commuting. My daily driver is a 4.0 litre P38 currently showing 279k miles. In the last 10 days it has done 2,600 miles, either cruising at 80 mph or at 65-70 with a 2 tonne trailer on the back and it will be doing another 3,200 in the next 3 weeks. I've done every job there is on the P38 and know it should keep going for at least another 200k. Stick with the devil you know would be my advice.

Anyway, a Disco is only a LAND Rover, not a RANGE Rover......

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha! Nice Gilbertd. Thanks for the advice. Great insight.

I like that last line :p

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree with Gilbertd, I had a 97 Disco I prior to the 92 RRC I now own and I actually miss the Disco but the RRC is a much better built machine. From hanging out on Disco forums for many years the Disco IIs seem to be less popular than the Disco I. And who really wants a 2 wheel drive Land Rover.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
3 Amigos are there. He converted the Disco to a two-wheel drive vehicle after the U-joint went bad. He said that he liked how it drove as a two wheel drive instead, and never went back.

He did say that he removed the thermostat to increase engine coolant circulation because it ran hot some. I'm not sure how feel about that, but he hasn't had any overheating issues. As long as replacing the thermostat will help with that, I'll feel better.
Wouldn't go near it based on that. They are not designed to be ran through the rear wheels. They do not have a BW transfer case, but running it only through the rear wheels will still stuff the transfer case. Running it without a thermostat will not do the motor any good either. Sounds like the current owner is a nutter and not prepared to spend any money to maintain the vehicle. So who knows what else is wrong with it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The 2004 has the LT230 with diff lock, so if it has been locked and not abused, using it as 2WD should be OK.
I had 3 Discos (so far) and I like them. I must say they are not that different from your RRC, so if you know your way around your Range you will get familiar with it soon, just expect to do heads and some other work very soon.
The 2004 is by far the *best* year of the Discovery, so if you even thought about getting one, this is it.

Good luck, tough decision, I love my 95 LWB RRC, but I would get a 2004 Disco at the right price in a split second.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone! It's so great to have so many views and experiences. I've decided to hold on to my Classic for now. I do love the way it drives.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts