RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting with my phone. Battery completely dead and driver door does not lock/unlock with key(got like this when I tried to fix the "bubbled handle"). Locksmith here but he can't open it. Help

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm home now but the car is still at the airport. I couldnt even tow it back home because they didnt have the right kind of tow truck available. Am I out of luck? I think the only way now is to break a window, go in and open the hood so I can jump start it and unlock it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
with a start booster you should be able to crawl under the car. then you will see the starter. Connect the + cabel too the + cable on the starter and connect the - to the frame or another point what is grounded. then you should be able to open the car with the remote key

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FFRR05DUKE said:
Hmmmm...I can see this happening if you're trying to use the keyless entry buttons with a dead battery but Inserting the key in the driver side door handle should still work with the battery being dead.
I wish it was that simple. I've messed up the lock few months ago so turning the key wont work.

jope said:
with a start booster you should be able to crawl under the car. then you will see the starter. Connect the + cabel too the + cable on the starter and connect the - to the frame or another point what is grounded. then you should be able to open the car with the remote key
I will try this. Thanks

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
144 Posts
a good locksmith can pull the hood release handle with a long door handle pull wire. I have had to have this done twice.... Basically you pop the hood by pulling the handle (usually they try to just pull the door handle) front drivers side by the floor....

Good luck - PM me with your cell and i can describe in more detail of you need.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sorry I can't be of help in getting into your car - but i do have a bit of advice. Invest in a small solar battery charger and place it on your dash. Connect it to the battery and just leave it there.

I have found too many "issues" we experience on the MkIII's are battery and voltage related. Since I have done this, my "issues" have dramatically reduced - just keeping the battery healthy is very important!

Good luck!

FYI, I have also heard of a guy who pulled the license plate bulb and inserted a charger through that circuit to slowly charge the battery. Undoubtedly, the battery pack on the starter solenoid is MUCH better, but any open circuit can be used to charge the battery - just be cognizant of the limitations of small wire in charging the battery.

Finally, I have also installed an Anderson Plug in my front grill so I can hook up a battery pack whenever I want to from outside the vehicle!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm here with the car. Is the starter right above the driver side axel? There is a plastic thing on it, is the + connection under that?
Jhepworth I will pm you. Called AAA again and they said they can't unlock range rover..

·
Registered
103 Posts
left side at little up close to the engine you can see the alternator. connect the booster there.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jope said:
left side at little up close to the engine you can see the alternator. connect the booster there.
I guess I'm mechanically restarted, couldnt find anything. Its sitting at the dealer overnight. They have a guy who can unlock the rear door through the tag light. They gave me a loaner and said it'll probably be an hour labor($120)

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
42 Posts
sorry about your troubles. Get a new battery asap as your current one will never be the same again. Also ask the dealer about installing a battery tender - wouldn't have helped you at the airport, but it helps for when you do have to park the Range for extended periods.

mike.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Locky said:
gooddfella said:
Tried removing that plastic thing at the bottom of what I thought was the starter and fluid splashed out.
I wonder what this was then? Not the red drain tap on the radiator?
No it wasnt the radiator. It looked kind of like brake fluid.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
03rangiemark said:
Is that the back of the (liquid cooled) alternator? :doh:
I dont have a clue what that is, I just pulled the plastic thing out which by the way had a clip that fell out and I havent put the clip back on yet. I'd say about 4oz came out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts