RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace tires on my RRS 2011 with 19 inch rims, stay stock or 1 size up?

I need to replace my tires, currently stock 255/50 x 19. I think the tires are somewhat on the skinny side in the esthetics dept. and was wondering if anybody has tried to go with 265/50 x 19 or 275/45 x19 . These are stock rims and not sure if a wider tire would work well as usually the handling will suffer going this route something that may push me to stick with the OEM size. Of course I could also look into finding used 20 inch rims with suitable rubber but I dont want to make this overly expensive either. I don't do any off roading and like to keep it comfortable in the pothole capital of the USA, Houston.
Thanks for any thought or suggestions you may have.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Re: Need to replace tires on my RRS 2011 with 19 inch rims, stay stock or 1 size up?

Just wanted to say that Houston is far from being the pothole capital of the USA.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Need to replace tires on my RRS 2011 with 19 inch rims, stay stock or 1 size up?

Just wanted to say that Houston is far from being the pothole capital of the USA.
Let's just say we are definitely in the top 5! Certainly anybody who lives in the city will attest to that. I own 3 cars, vw Touareg driven by GF, recently hit pothole causing 2 blow outs and 3K damages, my C63 AMG 2 front end alignments in 6 months plus a blow out, and I can count many friends going through the same problems. Many are changing from cars to trucks. The main reason I bought the RRS was because I am getting too beat up in my C63 AMG which I will likely sell soon. There are no roads to enjoy performance cars unless you drive out 30+mls. Sad but true but the roads over here look a war zone, craters and all.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Evoque
339 Posts

We definitely have our share in Houston. It was one of the reasons I wanted back in a vehicle with larger wheels and tires. I drove a Mini Cooper S for a couple of years on Run Flats...talk about feeling the potholes! While in the Cooper I viewed potholes as part of my daily obstacle course!

Remember, taller wheels = shorter sidewalls on the tires so you will feel the jolt that much more.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,461 Posts

Oddly enough, with all of the oil money in this town, the roads in the Inner loop are really full of craters - no idea why - it's certainly not for luck of funds! Get outside the loop and it's smooth as glass. Might be worse these days due to all of the housing going up and trucks crawling thru town. I recently put my All Terrains 285/60/18's back on again to make the ride smoother as well...was getting a bit hammered on the 275/40/20's...and have also had to get 2 alignments in the past 6 months.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

With all due respect Goosey, the information is dated. Check out the new postings and you get the idea. The oil boom is on with 150,000 families moving into Houston per year. Construction everywhere, I forgot to mention in that same 6 months my C63 got hit stones/gravel falling off trucks 3 times, front windshield cracked and huge dent in the hood. Of course I still take this any time over living in Afghanistan or Syria.

·
Registered
844 Posts

With all due respect Goosey, the information is dated. Check out the new postings and you get the idea. The oil boom is on with 150,000 families moving into Houston per year. Construction everywhere, I forgot to mention in that same 6 months my C63 got hit stones/gravel falling off trucks 3 times, front windshield cracked and huge dent in the hood. Of course I still take this any time over living in Afghanistan or Syria.
With all due respect, but I think that's where your tax dollars are going.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

The report's from 2013, but you've all convinced me that Houston is a pothole ridden hellhole now. Glad I don't have to go there anymore. It used to just be hot, humid and stinky, but at least the roads were smooth and you could drive 100mph. :D

I would go with some 60 series then.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Evoque
339 Posts

Freeways are in great shape except for the gridlock. City management can't get their act together to take care of the surface streets. City can't get there act together on any maintenance. Sub it out to private contractors. City waste money using extra workers to hold up spare shovels while one man digs!

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

Freeways are in great shape except for the gridlock. City management can't get their act together to take care of the surface streets. City can't get there act together on any maintenance. Sub it out to private contractors. City waste money using extra workers to hold up spare shovels while one man digs!
Crazy. Up here in the Metro NY area that stuff never happens, stuff gets fixed right away and roadcrews dig like a bunch of meerkats looking for a scorpion.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I need to replace my tires, currently stock 255/50 x 19. I think the tires are somewhat on the skinny side in the esthetics dept. and was wondering if anybody has tried to go with 265/50 x 19 or 275/45 x19 . These are stock rims and not sure if a wider tire would work well as usually the handling will suffer going this route something that may push me to stick with the OEM size. Of course I could also look into finding used 20 inch rims with suitable rubber but I dont want to make this overly expensive either. I don't do any off roading and like to keep it comfortable in the pothole capital of the USA, Houston.
Thanks for any thought or suggestions you may have.
You'll be fine with 19 or 20 inch wheels, but it was already mentioned that you will lose some tire sidewall size with the 20s. Keeping them properly inflated will help having them protected from potholes, but considering all factors the 19s will provide a ride that is less harsh. Even though it is just a half an inch you're losing from rim to road, the lower profile tends to let you 'feel' more on the road. I would say that handling would improve with a wider tire, but ride quality would be worse over less than perfect roads. Most would not feel the difference and the 20 inch wheels look very nice on our trucks.
If someone else drives the vehicle and you can't trust them to watch out for road hazards, keep the 19s. If it's just you, go with the 20s and keep a sharp eye out for potholes.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts

Just go up to a 255/55, same size as LR3/4 and RR.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts