Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need to find local machine shop w/ 3.9l sleeve install experience

Wondering if the community has any contacts in the DC/VA/MD area that has experience rebuilding 3.9/4.2/4.6 with flanged/tophat sleeves. I'm hoping to spend less than 5k, as it's hard for me to justify spending that much or more at this time, when I know I can get a running 95 RRC for less than 5k. I'm trying to bring my 95 RRC SWB back to a driveable state, as it's been parked on my driveway for about 10years. I'm not ready to do a frame up resto, so I don't want to spend a lot at this point. TIA.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Re: need to find local machine shop w/ 3.9l sleeve install experience

Fairfax Auto Parts, Inc.
3855 Pickett Road
Fairfax, VA 22031
(703) 323-5300

They are expensive though.

I opted to go with Q&E in California. They are much cheaper at $1500 including sleeves.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I opted to go with Q&E in California. They are much cheaper at $1500 including sleeves.
What did you get for that price, block with sleeves only, or short or long block?

·
Registered
49 Posts

Unless you really know and trust a shop, I would consider calling Mark at D&D http://aluminumv8.com/

He knows the Rover V8.

A friend of mine in Richmond just sent his 4.6 for top hat liners; got it back in 3 weeks.

·
Registered
33 Posts

What did you get for that price, block with sleeves only, or short or long block?
Q&E provides flanged (top hat) sleeves, labor to install, resurface the block, install new cam bearing for $1500. I provide the block. LA Sleeves gave me a quote for the same work for $2200. Not sure how much Dave at D&D charges. Might be worth it to give me a call.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Here is my block with top hat liners installed by Q&E

rsz_1top_hat2.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

...Q&E provides flanged (top hat) sleeves, labor to install, resurface the block, install new cam bearing for $1500...
I'm assuming the 1500 didn't include shipping? How much was the shipping and how did you manage that?

·
Registered
33 Posts

$85 to ship FEDEX Ground each way. Block weighs 75 pounds and fits in a heavy duty cardboard box.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts