RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys know and think about the Freelander? It would be for the better half if I were to purchase one. I've read lot's of mixed reviews on them, and I'm just looking for some direction from you guys. Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Bad.

LR reliability (or lack of) with a crappy Ford Escape design. No thanks.

It's a Ford Escape with leather essentially.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Earlier freelanders to be avoided like the plague.

Freelander 2 are great vehicles and are highly rated

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's an 03' with 82,000k on it. So it's not a 2... They also want $8,000 for it. Not happening.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'll ship you a few hundred for free from here, nobody want them.....

$8k, are they barking mad, I would have packed up laughing rooling on the ground

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Stay away from the 1.8L K-series engine.
Worse than a rover V8 for failing and more to replace.
Best ones are the diseasel automatics, but to put things into perspective
dimensionally the 2 is bigger than a RRC. 8-0=

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
The Freelander2/LR2 is a great truck, I woulnt have any worries owning one or letting my wife drive it.

The Freelander on the otherhand is pretty questionible. There are alot of guys on Muddy Oval that swear by theirs, and they have decent milage out of them. Oncw you learn the Freelander its not so bad, it has its issues but overall they arent bad. Its not really a Escape by the way, different drivetrain, electrical systems, ABS, engine, tranny. Decent offroad, fun to drive, and easy to fix although parts are getting tough to find.

Dont be scared of them because alot of people dont know and think they are bad because of their issues. Same stigma that is attached to P38s and Range Rovers in general.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
I'm with Viper on this. Freelander 1 - Avoid. Freelander 2 is a nice car.

I've only driven the FL2 diesel version though, but it has loads of torque which makes it very drivable. The Freelander 1 is a mess, although the problem tends to be the owners who think the FL1 is a standard car and thus expect the same running and repair costs as such.

·
Registered
77 Posts
yep agree with not getting a 1.8 ltr petrol freebee, but my wife has had her TD4 for a few years now without having any problems, but i dont think you can get the diesel over the pond can you???. shame though.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Funnily enough over 3 years ago i paid £500 for a very tidy 1.8 Freelander,55,000m,one owner with full history.It had the standard blown head gasket,which I repaired very carefully with all the LR upgrades etc.I only bought it for my brother to use for a month while he was here on holiday from OZ.Since then it has provec to be extremely useful,reliable and more capable than a D3 in ice and snow - we had a bucket load of it last winter and the little freebie was just about unstoppable.
It is comfy,well laid out and easy to drive - much more useful than an ordinary car of the same size.
Best £500 car I ever bought - I even waxoiled it for the next winter....

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the advice on this. Needless to say, I will not be going this route.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts