RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to order some new keys for my rover. Its an 03 and I was wondering if the newer 2005+ flip-out keys would work for the 03? Was planning on just ordering them from ebay.

·
Registered
120 Posts
eBay won't work, 03-05 keys are same as BMW keys, dealer only item. Blank key won't work either, since RF needs to be setup.

Only through factory you can order duplicates or replacements, up to 5 keys total. After that you have to re-key the whole vehicle.

Cost is about $300 per key or so ($250 from Rover Connection). It takes about a week (dealer) to 4 weeks (RC), as they come from Germany.

Factory keys in your VIN and correct RF (radio frequency) so it will work with Immobilizer system.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, I know these keys, as do most all keys for all cars these days, have the chip inside as a theft prevention mechanism. I consider myself to be fairly vehicle literate, as I do all the work (services etc..) to all of my own cars. That being said, i have bought blank keys for two of my other cars from ebay in the past and re-learned the chip on my own through a series of steps. Is this not possible for the Range? These steps are different for each model of car and a good key company will send re-programming instructions. If not they can be found else ware.

I know for a fact that it can be done without the dealers money demanding processes. I just assumed that I could do the same for the MKIII. Has anyone done this on their own rover in the past?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes, you can program any key to lock/unlock doors (like on any other BMW), procedure is very simple it takes 30 sec.

BUT, that same key will not turn ignition on, unless its programmed from the factory with your VIN and correct RF frequency.

This is the same reason why after certain # of keys are cut at the factory, slots of used keys fills up in ECU memory, and whole vehicle needs to be re-keyed.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
144 Posts
Range Rovers have 3 elements of security for access built in that a lot of other cars do not. I guess the Engineers thought people would steal these rigs and wanted to ensure no one without a proper key would not be able to operate the truck.

Elements
1) Physical Key - A key that matches the lock to allow for the door key lock cylinder and the ignition lock to turn.

2) The remote RF transmitter for unlocking the doors and disabling the alarm. This is the "wireless remote" for unlocking, locking and rear hatch of the Rover.

3) An RFID chip embedded in the wireless remote that is keyed to your particular range rovers ECU based on an RFID tag/serial number list only known to good hackers of ECU's and Land Rover.

One could potentially, if you had money to spare, use the newer switch blade keys with the 03 - 05 Range Rovers IF the RF transmit frequency is the same in the switch blade as the 03 - 05 . Here is what you would have to do - i may do this if i get the itch to blow 600.00 if i find out the freq. is the same on the 2 keys.

A) Order a new key from Land Rover or use an old Key you have.
B) Get a switchblade key from the newer rovers with an UNCUT blade.
C) Pry open the Original 03 - 05 key.
D) Take the RFID transmitter out of the Original key - someone has pics of this on this site.
E) Have the Key blade for the switchblade key cut to your cars locks OR use the blade you already have that is cut ( i am unsure this will work, i think the interface between the lock body and blade is different between the two keys) - confirm this can turn the door lock and ignition cylinder.
F) Open up the Switchblade Key and put the RFID Tag into it.
G) Put this all back together - ensure the locks turn and the car turns on when you use the key
H) If this all works then it's a miracle so call the church, then follow the steps for programming a key to the 03 - 05 Range rovers.
I) If that actually works then you have a nice mod for your car - however i am very suspicious that the remote will not operate the door unlock, etc properly and will not program to the 03 - 05 Rover. But maybe someone that knows these remotes and their transmit functions and frequencies can chime in.

JH

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
196 Posts
And finally the new switchblade type key wont fit in to the dished recess for the old BMW key.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
JawzROVER said:
ok, I know these keys, as do most all keys for all cars these days, have the chip inside as a theft prevention mechanism. I consider myself to be fairly vehicle literate, as I do all the work (services etc..) to all of my own cars. That being said, i have bought blank keys for two of my other cars from ebay in the past and re-learned the chip on my own through a series of steps. Is this not possible for the Range? These steps are different for each model of car and a good key company will send re-programming instructions. If not they can be found else ware.

I know for a fact that it can be done without the dealers money demanding processes. I just assumed that I could do the same for the MKIII. Has anyone done this on their own rover in the past?
why ask?
Go for it! You know for a fact! Just buy any old key and get'r done! :dance:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts