RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys on my 89 rover the lower steering shaft bearing is damaged ( did i describe it right ? )

the shaft that goes from steering wheel true the firewall has to bearing upper and lower

can someone tell me what's the part # on that bearing or send me the diagram so i can explain that to dealer what i want

thank you.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You can not buy the bearings for the steering column; they are not replacable. You have to get a complete column from a scrap vehicle. The column from a soft dash model is different and will not fit.

Are you able tomove the end of the column up and down and side to side when you grab the end at the firewall?

There is a lock nut that is spring loaded just inside the firewall you turn this to the right while pressing inwards this locks the column bearing into the central position. The nut is plastic and you need small fingers to get in there, this might be your problem.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
custard pie feet said:
You can not buy the bearings for the steering column; they are not replacable. You have to get a complete column from a scrap vehicle. The column from a soft dash model is different and will not fit.

Are you able tomove the end of the column up and down and side to side when you grab the end at the firewall?

There is a lock nut that is spring loaded just inside the firewall you turn this to the right while pressing inwards this locks the column bearing into the central position. The nut is plastic and you need small fingers to get in there, this might be your problem.

yes sir i already removed that plastic nut. it wasn't loose the bearing itself is gone. and your are right it doesn't look like its replaceable item. :(

so i guess i have to go and find another used one huh?

tnx.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Check out Pick a Part out in Sun Valley. It's definitely well worth the haul. They almost always have a classic.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
382 Posts
Also John Gadd [email protected] who is also somewhere in the greater Los Angeles conurbation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts