RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

While I am driving my 1999 P38A (4.0), all the instrument panel's lights, headlights, interior lights are blinking. Especially when the engine is running on idle, they are all blinking faster. Actually as you would understand I'm a beginner... I am just guessing that it's an alternator problem. Any suggestions will be appreciated...
 

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
ygzzbn said:
I am just guessing that it's an alternator problem. Any suggestions will be appreciated...
I dont think it would be Alt' related as the power would still come from the battery etc (although it is still worth checking that the output is around 14.5V). However I would seccond the suggestion of double checking the connections to the battery first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all for suggestions and opinions. This weekend I'll check all the connections to battery... I'll let you know about the result.

Regards...
 

·
SUPER MODERATOR
Joined
·
27,725 Posts
Yup on the loose connection. It will most likely be a ground. Side note: seriously nifty avtar. Do you have that file in a larger size? My publishing deadline is tonight and I think it would make a great space filler!
 

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
1,851 Posts
Hi

If you mean by blinking that the intensity of the light is changing then yes it can be an alternator problem.

I have had the automatic voltage regulator failing on my alternator causing a flickering especially visible at night in the ac display whith the frequency depending on the revs of the engine (press the accelarator and the light flickers faster). The voltage regulator is an integral part of the alternator and could not be changed seperately (i was told, i didn´t take apart the old unit to check) which resulted in having to buy a complete new alternator which solved all the problems.

Regards

Jos
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jos Geuze said:
Hi

If you mean by blinking that the intensity of the light is changing then yes it can be an alternator problem.

I have had the automatic voltage regulator failing on my alternator causing a flickering especially visible at night in the ac display whith the frequency depending on the revs of the engine (press the accelarator and the light flickers faster). The voltage regulator is an integral part of the alternator and could not be changed seperately (i was told, i didn´t take apart the old unit to check) which resulted in having to buy a complete new alternator which solved all the problems.

Regards

Jos
Yep, exactly the same thing. I checked already all of the connections (especially grounds). They're all Ok I guess... Probably I'll change the alternator.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
ygzzbn - what make of alternator have you got?

The voltage regulator (with integral brushes) can defintely be replaced on the Bosch 150 Amp alternator fitted to post 1999 models - I replaced the regulator on mine very recently due to symptoms of alternator failure such as dimming and flickering dash & A/C control panel backlights, dancing speedo & rev counter needles etc. Once I had removed the old regulator from the alternator it was clearly apparent the brushes had simply worn out. Much cheaper than a new / rebuilt alternator.

Have you checked voltage across the alternator with a digital multimeter?

This is a good starting point: http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19563

And this is on the main site: http://rangerovers.net/repairdetails/electrical/boschaltrepair.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
I'm just going to throw this out there because it is a new truck to you. Sometimes if the previous person working on the truck is not familiar with RRs they might route the drive belt incorrectly and therefore the belt might slip and the alt. will not get enough power. I have seen this occasionally it really stumps people because they test the alt. and it tests fine. It's unlikely but just a thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This month I couldn't take my rangie to the workshop (because of low budget) :) In October he'll get better treatment and I'll update everyone who helped me. Thanks again all...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is really interesting but problem fixed itself. Before I bought my car, it was rested for a long time (months) in garage. After months of regular driving, battery recharged I guess :)
 

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
865 Posts
Batteries are important on the Rangies, a duff one will send all sorts of problems like gearbox fault etc and problems like you had, my guess is new battery soon and make sure its a nice hefty 100amp (800CCA) sealed type
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
viperover said:
Batteries are important on the Rangies, a duff one will send all sorts of problems like gearbox fault etc and problems like you had, my guess is new battery soon and make sure its a nice hefty 100amp (800CCA) sealed type
This weekend a friend of mine will have a look on alternator, brushes and everything. It will be like an electrical surgery. Because lately I am having some troubles again. When I flash the headlight, my radio is going off for a second. The battery is not that old (only 1/2 years) but maybe I have a bad alternator. We'll see... Thanks for your reply.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are the 95 amp hr batteries (for example: mine) suitable for 4.0 engine? As far as I know recommended batteries are 72 amp hr. Regarding the above mentioned problems, do you have any recommendations?

Additional question : When we removed battery and put it back, radio didn't work. Do I need to enter the sec. code?
 

·
SUPER MODERATOR
Joined
·
27,725 Posts
Larger batteries will always be fine as long as they fit naturally.

Your radio will require a four digit security code. In an ideal world it would be on a card in your owners manual case. Next choice would be to ring your local dealer with your VIN. If your radio has been worked on or replaced it may be written right on the head unit.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top