RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help with unplugging the connector from the heated oxygen sensor in the right exhaust manifold on the 5.0 engine in my 2011 full size RR. I have the right head ready to remove and I removed the little sheet metal cover over the connector, but I cannot seem to be able to split this connector to the O2 sensor. With other connectors in this vehicle that I have encountered, I have carefully examined each one, and figured out where to squeeze or spread to unplug the connectors without damage. But, I can't seem to be able to get this one apart. I would appreciate advice from someone who has done this before.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
382 Posts
Get under the vehicle and look at one of the two O2 sensor plugs clipped in near the transmission’s subframe surround.

All four O2 connector plugs are identical so you can “practice” unlocking the connector with more room rather than the confined space of the manifold O2 plugs.

If they’re not releasing with a tight squeeze of the sprung plastic lock you can use a small screwdriver/pick to add leverage to the side which has the sprung lock by going through the opposite end and releasing the clip by pressing down on the plastic locking tab and unclipping it that way.

Once you get the hang of it you can then work on your problem connector :)

One last thought - when I’ve done head gaskets I’ve made a point to replace the O2 manifold sensor while the manifold is removed (I change all four O2 sensors). It’s far easier (obviously) and often times post engine repair performance/error codes are impacted by questionable O2 sensors. If you’re considering replacing the sensor just cut the wire for now and fiddle with the plug once your head’s removed.
Rob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rob, thanks for your helpful suggestions. The Rover is on a lift so getting under to check the other connectors is easy. Yeah, I should probably replace the heated O2 sensor while the head is off. It seems as though the "while you're in there" list is pretty long for this project as so many pieces have had to be removed to get good access to the basic engine long block. Anyway, I'm hoping to get that head off today and find out the source of my loss of compression on that side. I'll report back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I played with the most accessible O2 sensor plug and got it figured out before I attempted the heated sensor's plug again. It was still difficult, but it finally came part with no damage. Then the head came right off with no other issues. I'm going to start another thread asking for advice about what to replace "while I'm in there". It's a crazy amount of work to remove everything for access to the heads, timing chains, etc. and I don't want to later wish I'd replaced something else that I overlooked.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts