RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Range Rover Sport V6 Supercharged HSE
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically i just purchased used illuminated door sills for my L494. Went in and plugged in all of them, noticed none of them are working. Tested the 4 door sills using a 12v tester, and turns out they all work. So now i'm thinking the issue is coming from the car's wiring. I peeked under the carpets in the rear both sides left and right and noticed a few unplugged wiring harnesses, does anyone know what this is? Anyone have a clue why my illuminated door sills aren't working?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport SCV8 HSE Dynamic
508 Posts
for an L405, but might still be useful?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport SCV8 HSE Dynamic
508 Posts
Thanks, saw that already. I already got them installed, but having a further issue. They aren't lighting up

hmm, if there is 12V going to the plugs but the sills are not working, then maybe check that the wires on the plugs are aligned? By this I mean that the wires are in the same locations on the plugs in both car and sills.

Also, don't these need to be programmed in so that the car knows that they're there?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm, if there is 12V going to the plugs but the sills are not working, then maybe check that the wires on the plugs are aligned? By this I mean that the wires are in the same locations on the plugs in both car and sills
Highly unlikely that the connection points inside the plug and the sills aren't touching each other while plugged. I think there is a deeper problem. I should probably test if there is voltage coming through the cars wiring, because if not, then maybe somewhere throughout the harness, there is a cut or something. Its strange

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Highly unlikely that the connection points inside the plug and the sills aren't touching each other while plugged. I think there is a deeper problem. I should probably test if there is voltage coming through the cars wiring, because if not, then maybe somewhere throughout the harness, there is a cut or something. Its strange

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did your vehicle originally have illuminated plates or is it an upgrade? Are you using OEM pieces?

On the powerful UK site they make a rear hatch illuminated skid plate as well that installs in the trunk. In order to get power to it they have a plug adapter to steal power off another source. (they have a video online of the install)

I have been wanting to do this to my '19 RRS SVR, but haven't found any confirmation that the piece would be a plug and play. I am also interested in doing this but was hoping to get some more information before pulling up my aluminum panels. I'm not really interested in splicing wires if that's what's necessary.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
665 Posts
That's strange. I thought that they were just plug and play. This may sound crazy, but are the sills functioning properly?

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's strange. I thought that they were just plug and play. This may sound crazy, but are the sills functioning properly?
We don't know if the vehicle originally had illuminated plates or if its an upgrade. Also are they OEM pieces.

It sounds like there were plugs already there, but RR uses different wiring harnesses all the time depending on the equipment. Its one of the reason retrofitting equipment is such a PITA. VAG and BMW often have plug and play upgrades because they have standardized wiring. However often times it will require activation through the vehicle programming.

They may have to be programmed to activate.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
170 Posts
Did your vehicle originally have illuminated plates or is it an upgrade? Are you using OEM pieces?

On the powerful UK site they make a rear hatch illuminated skid plate as well that installs in the trunk. In order to get power to it they have a plug adapter to steal power off another source. (they have a video online of the install)

I have been wanting to do this to my '19 RRS SVR, but haven't found any confirmation that the piece would be a plug and play. I am also interested in doing this but was hoping to get some more information before pulling up my aluminum panels. I'm not really interested in splicing wires if that's what's necessary.
I purchased and installed illuminated plates on my 19.5 SVR and they worked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic
10 Posts
I was considering adding this to my RRS Dynamic. Had them on my MY16 RRS HST, nice touch when you open the doors. Not sure why this option was omitted post MY16. Couple thoughts to troubleshoot 1) from what I recall, I believe the illuminated plates came on when the door was opened regardless if you had the dome interior lights set to turn on (might be wrong); they would eventually time out even when the door was left open. Assume you checked to see if you are getting power at the plug as soon as you open the door so you don’t get timed out. If there is no power, then 2) my other theory, if the former is correct, is that the plates may possibly have their own fuse. May want to look up the fuse diagram and see if there may be a dedicated fuse that is not installed given the vehicle wasn’t equipped with the option.

One suggestion in regards to the aesthetics of the plates is that they scuff very easily and the paint on the lettering wears off. You may want to see if it would be possible to have someone wrap them in Xpel/3M matte clear wrap before installation.

Good luck, hopefully it’s an easy fix.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We don't know if the vehicle originally had illuminated plates or if its an upgrade. Also are they OEM pieces.

It sounds like there were plugs already there, but RR uses different wiring harnesses all the time depending on the equipment. Its one of the reason retrofitting equipment is such a PITA. VAG and BMW often have plug and play upgrades because they have standardized wiring. However often times it will require activation through the vehicle programming.

They may have to be programmed to activate.
Yes the illuminated plates i bought are OEM. and no my car didnt have them before, but there is wiring already installed in the car, so these should have been a plug and play. I took a trip to the Land rover dealership and had one of the techs take a look at a fuse chart and didnt find any missing or damaged fuses in my car. I dont think these would have to be programmed, but i wouldn't doubt it. Its just odd how they arent lighting up

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was considering adding this to my RRS Dynamic. Had them on my MY16 RRS HST, nice touch when you open the doors. Not sure why this option was omitted post MY16. Couple thoughts to troubleshoot 1) from what I recall, I believe the illuminated plates came on when the door was opened regardless if you had the dome interior lights set to turn on (might be wrong); they would eventually time out even when the door was left open. Assume you checked to see if you are getting power at the plug as soon as you open the door so you don’t get timed out. If there is no power, then 2) my other theory, if the former is correct, is that the plates may possibly have their own fuse. May want to look up the fuse diagram and see if there may be a dedicated fuse that is not installed given the vehicle wasn’t equipped with the option.

One suggestion in regards to the aesthetics of the plates is that they scuff very easily and the paint on the lettering wears off. You may want to see if it would be possible to have someone wrap them in Xpel/3M matte clear wrap before installation.

Good luck, hopefully it’s an easy fix.
Thanks. I already took a trip to the Land rover dealership and had one of the techs take a look at the fuses and a fuse chart and he didnt end up seeing any missing or damaged fuses. So i think an option is to find someone with a land rover diagnostic tool and have them plug it in to see if there are any cutoffs in the wiring harnesses around inside the car, might be causing the issue. Otherwise, maybe i can test for voltage on each plug, because all 4 sides arent lighting up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys im dumb lol i just found the solution. I didnt have my dome lights on. So basically for those who dont know, this is the function when opening a car door at night, the interiors lights come on automatically. I had it turned off this whole time. Thanks for those who suggested it

·
Registered
L494 V8 SC Dynamic
299 Posts
Sometimes it is the simplest solution. Good to hear you got it remedied. I love having them in my RRS along with the hatch scuff plate being illuminated.

·
Registered
2019 Range Rover Sport
19 Posts
😂 Awesome, glad you found the solution. Post some pics at night. Been wanting to do these for awhile and my question was if all RRS came with pre-installed wiring. Also is the light 1 color or can it be changed?
I saw a green RRS at the dealer and the sill plates also lit up green.
Thanks - JT

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
😂 Awesome, glad you found the solution. Post some pics at night. Been wanting to do these for awhile and my question was if all RRS came with pre-installed wiring. Also is the light 1 color or can it be changed?
Thanks - JT
Thanks! Guessing all RRS comes with pre-installed wiring because mine is a 2014, so its the first year L494 made and it even had it. And no unfortunately, the light is only a white color and cant be changed

·
Registered
L494 V8 SC Dynamic
299 Posts
Thanks - JT
They illuminate white.
0696D38A-25D4-44C5-AA08-E90DD4AF2215.jpeg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts