RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Need a bit of help on a technical question. My cars been wadeing and as a result the AC condensor fan has given out big time. I took it appart today and about three of the transistors have exploded on the board.
Trying to replace the fan unit on the cheap I was either going to buy a universal fan... Or buy a ebay bmw one. My only worry is that the fan seems to have a permanent live and earth connection, and the fan is switched with a small live feed (a 3rd wire) My question is. If I buy a 2 wire fan, does the output on the 3rd switching live wire have enough amperage to operate a relay?

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
I'd venture to guess yes - but that based more on the fact that the electronics are relatively robust and built to handle shorts and such w/o sending ecu's to the trash immediately.

You are assuming, tho, that your going to get either a + or a - feed on the control wire. Tho I have yet to examine fan operation very closely, I'd assume that with such a circuit in place you are going to get a variable feed, and the oem fan will spin faster or slower depending on what the ecm wants. Otherwise they prob would have used a relay in the first place.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhhhhhh yes thats something I hadn't considered. **** :doh:
Looks like I'll have to search one out with the three wires. Thanks Stevemfr

Thats fans very poorly sealed for wadeing by the way. The bearings were seized and it was full and I mean FULL of sand.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
237 Posts
Be aware that the fan is controlled through trains of impulses directly by the ECU, so you either swap the fan for a new identical one (1000EUR!!!) or you install a two wire one controlled through a pressure switch mounted on the cooling circuit...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts