RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
photo-8.jpg

How do I remove this filter from the housing, it just spins around. Tried pulling it up and got nothing. Maybe im missing something, let me know. 2005 HSE

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
423 Posts
It appears that you have the BMW M62 Engine. I've had BMWs with this type filters since 2001. Give it a good, hard tug. There's a plastic insert (or at least there SHOULD be one) in the oil-filter housing that has ridges and the center of the oil filter insert grabs onto that. Sometimes the filter will hang up on that, but a good, sharp tug will get it out. If the plastic insert comes out too, that needs to be replaced in the housing. PM me if you still have issues.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, I'm going to try a few sharp tugs right now and see how it goes. Thanks for the quick reply.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Be sure to only pull up, and not laterally, you can tear the filter part of it, and be left with just the lower plastic portion still stuck in the bottom of the housing. It is not fun to get that out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks to both of you guys it got it up, just pulled straight up hard and steady and it eventually came off. It was on there pretty good.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
423 Posts
Glad the advice worked. Make sure the plastic center piece is well seated when you put in the new filter element.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts