RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old expansion tank cap marked 140 and with a yellow circle inside (originally from British Parts of Utah). When I recently replaced my expansion tank I purchased a new cap too, both from Atlantic British. The new cap also says 140 but the circle at the bottom of the cap is black (not yellow like the other).

They don't act the same!

Original cap, no leaking around cap.

New cap leaks coolant after 5-10 minutes of driving. I even had Atlantic British send a replacement because I thought it was faulty and it does the same thing.

Is the original cap good or broken since it doesn't let pressure escape?

Are the new caps both bad letting pressure escape too soon or are they both good and I have a pressure problem?

Advice please!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has no one replied because my question is not worthy or no one can provide advice?

The new caps from British Atlantic (140 with black center) both hiss and start to leak as soon as the engine warms up.

The cap from British Parts of Utah (140 with yellow center) doesn't hiss nor leak.

Just hoping some of you MKIII owners out there can tell me how you cap behaves.

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
I don't see what the issue is here. You have a cap that seals properly, use it.

If a cap does not seal then the system can not build proper pressure and can over heat. Send the other two back as faulty. Most likely the colour difference is due to different suppliers.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Our cap reads 200 for our 2004 model and there is a bit of leakage around the seals at certain times. I have not been able to find a mention in rave as to the correct pressure cap that should be used. I did read months ago that 200 was too high a pressure but i am wondering if your cap pressure is to low. I have looked at every advert for the caps and have not really had a conclusive result as to the correct cap pressure. Perhaps we should do a poll.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts