RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gang,

I'm doing my first front brake pad replacement. I've got the wheels off but that's it. WSM is typically useless. It says things like "remove anti-rattle spring." Great. How? With a blowtorch? screwdriver? Do I just yank it out? It assumes a lot of knowledge that I don't have in this department.

I just want to replace the pads. No fancy brake system upgrade or new rotors or anything like that.

I saw the FAQ but it skipped over too much for me. I need the REAL basics here.

Anyone want to walk me through it? Case of beer of your choice?

thanks.

ketel

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
This seems like a reasonable overview of basic brake pad stuff (there is nothing revolutionary or wildly different about the RR brakes):

http://www.cockeyed.com/lessons/brakeshoes/brakeshoes01.shtml

It was just the first thing I found on google, there may be better ones, possibly even something which shows specific instructions/pics for a RR.

DISCLAIMER: If you already have had trouble discovering this on your own, I would advise that you have someone (experienced) with you in person to help you through it.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,384 Posts
From the pics in the manual, it looks like you just spring the centre section outward to release. For a better view, look a the drawing of the rear brake.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick update:

I finally got the spring out. I just pried it off with a screwdriver. I think I was coming in at the wrong side. From the other side I just put the blade of a flat screwdriver against the pad and popped it out.

I also just got the retaining pins out. There was a LOT of ratchet turning. Basically, one should keep an eye on the back side of the caliper. Once you see a 1/2 inch or so of threading, the bolt is out and will just keep spinning and won't come out by turning a ratchet. At this point one needs to take a screwdriver (again) and with the blade gently nudge out the threaded part of the bolt so it comes out.

Now, I am working on getting the caliper housing off the caliber. She's very stubborn. Trying to use muscle grease but don't want to damage any of the expensive components inside, which would defeat the whole cost-saving idea of doing my own pads.

Ideas/suggestions?

ketel

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,384 Posts
ketel said:
Now, I am working on getting the caliper housing off the caliber. ketel
I assume you mean rotor. Have you pushed the pads back from the rotor? If not, they will grab on the lip at the outside edge of the rotor.

You may need to slacken the bleed nipple to let some brake fluid out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just did my brakes and now where you are coming from.

As for the guide pin bolts, they are 7mm Allen bolts. The threads are only about half an inch, once you have it out about 1/2" you can just pull it out.

As for the caliper mounting bolts, they are 16mm bolts and INSANELY difficult to get off. Spray em down with PB Blaster and/or WD40 to try and loosen those suckers up. They are really tough to get off, use a huge breaker bar too!

How did everything turn out? Make sure to use some synthetic brake lube on all the pins and bolts.

GL,

Mike

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After three hours of grunting and cursing and throwing tools I raised the white flag and I'm not at all happy about it.

I put the pieces back on and took the '03 in to the shop. I managed to get off the retaining spring and caliper bolts but that was about it. I couldn;t get the caliper off the rotor. I tried for a half hour. Call me crazy, but stabbing the caliper with a flat blade screwdriver doesn't seem like good technique. Again, because I had no guidance from any of the so-called manuals I was concerned that I would just end up damaging a key component, end up costing me hundreds to replace it, and defeat the entire purpose of DIY which is to save a few $$, especially in this economy. The WSM is a joke. "Step 2. Remove caliper" Gee, thanks.

Anyhow, I came into the shop tail between my legs feeling crushed. God, I hate that effen feeling. Would be great if SOMEONE did a detailed step-by-step DIY on something as basic as a front brake pad replacement for guys like me.

I really need a beer now.

ketel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts