RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My '93 SWB 3.9 is running very rich and cannot seem to figure it out. After asking on other forums for ideas, I have done quite a bit, but nothing has worked.

I have changed the o2 sensors, new tune-up with all Lucas parts, new charcoal canister, new temp sensor, cleaned the idle air, and much more.

The smell of exhaust is very strong and I need to get this resolved. Unfortunately I've thrown parts at it for too long and need to get this taken care of as I'm certain that it will not pass emissions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Literally just picked up the CRC Cleaner and about to head to the garage. Will let you know :)

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
Remember it will take time for the trim values to adjust once anything in the circuit is changed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've removed the MAF from the intake, but want to be sure of the procedure for cleaning it. My understanding is that I am to open the casing? Is that the 8 hex screws to open it? Or am I completely wrong?

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
TexasDiver said:
I've removed the MAF from the intake, but want to be sure of the procedure for cleaning it. My understanding is that I am to open the casing? Is that the 8 hex screws to open it? Or am I completely wrong?
You can just spray it out without removing the sensor. But to tell you the truth my money is on O2 snesors. That was the behavior mine had when the O2 sensors went out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced both O2 sensors last night, but may not have given it enough time to make a difference. It has never thrown a code for O2, but I've heard stranger things. I put about 20 miles on it tonight and will do it again tomorrow.

I didn't clean the MAF since I didn't know the procedure, but will do it shortly. All in all, the rover runs smooth and no hiccups. Has great power all through the gears and really is strong. This has me stumped, but since it isn't my daily driver, maybe I just haven't put enough miles on it yet. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the same issue, see this earlier thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38201&p=301859#p301859

I eventually cured it by replacing the fuel injectors, I'm guessing that the original lucas ones were a bit tired and were letting too much fuel through. I picked up some replacement 'remanufactured' Bosch injectors with the 4 hole ports on Ebay from a seller called - precisionfuelinjectors - really good service and a good price as well. You could also get your existing injectors serviced but I think it costs almost as much.

Hope you get it sorted!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Simon, Thanks for the info and link. I've got a bookmark on the Precision Store on ebay as it was recommended by another RRC owner. I suppose if I can't clear it up today, I'll order them and get them put in. How difficult is it to replace them? Fuel injectors are one of the few things I've never installed on any car.

Are there any tips/tricks to doing them yourself?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi there, sorry for the slow response. The fuel injectors are really straightforward to replace, and there are no real tips or tricks that I came across. You just need to make sure you de-pressurise the fuel system properly before you start and for reassembly (once you've put the injectors in), it's good to have some hylomar blue to seal the jointing faces on the plenum. I just followed the step by step instructions in the workshop manual and found them to be really good. I'd be interested to hear how you get on,
cheers, Simon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts